Dead Flipper Testing

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
I've periodically been experiencing unresponsive flippers. Thought at first it was my fault, perhaps not making adequate screen contact, etc. But no. This is a fundamental issue across all eight tables I own so far (although I have been playing Big Shot a lot lately and have therefore seen it there most). As a test, I let the ball sit unplunged while tapping a flipper at approximately 1/2 second intervals. Every time, I was able to see a flipper fail to react, sometimes three and four times in a row. During, play it is absolutely intolerable, pushing me to the brink of abandoning TPA altogether. Does anyone else see this?

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
I've periodically been experiencing unresponsive flippers. Thought at first it was my fault, perhaps not making adequate screen contact, etc. But no. This is a fundamental issue across all eight tables I own so far (although I have been playing Big Shot a lot lately and have therefore seen it there most). As a test, I let the ball sit unplunged while tapping a flipper at approximately 1/2 second intervals. Every time, I was able to see a flipper fail to react, sometimes three and four times in a row. During, play it is absolutely intolerable, pushing me to the brink of abandoning TPA altogether. Does anyone else see this?
I've played TPA on 4 different Android devices. Never seen that happen.

What device? Do you use a screen protector or cover? Or a case that partially covers the edge of the screen?

I've used Apple MessagePad devices and Palm devices in the past, and screen responsiveness on Android is soo much better.

The only time Android screen response was weird was when charging with a cheap no-name brand charger.

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
I've played TPA on 4 different Android devices. Never seen that happen.

What device? Do you use a screen protector or cover? Or a case that partially covers the edge of the screen?

I've used Apple MessagePad devices and Palm devices in the past, and screen responsiveness on Android is soo much better.

The only time Android screen response was weird was when charging with a cheap no-name brand charger.

Galaxy S3 7"
v. 4.2.2
There is a screen protector, but no case that protrudes into screen area

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Galaxy S3 7"
v. 4.2.2
There is a screen protector, but no case that protrudes into screen area

My guess is the screen protector is messing up the device's touch detection. Try using the device without it.

My opinion? The Android glass screens are so much tougher than any protector you can put on it.

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
My guess is the screen protector is messing up the device's touch detection. Try using the device without it.

My opinion? The Android glass screens are so much tougher than any protector you can put on it.

Revoved screen protector and performed there same test. Failure rate unchanged.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Does this happen in other apps? What if you put the device in airplane mode? Rooted or stock rom?

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Other ideas : are you using any screen dimming apps? I had to disable the app Lux because it was affecting the screen refresh. What about any power saving features?

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
Other ideas : are you using any screen dimming apps? I had to disable the app Lux because it was affecting the screen refresh. What about any power saving features?

Tried Airplane Mode. No change. Am using no screen - dimming apps. Stock ROM.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Are you seeing screen tap issues in other apps or games?

Have you tried turning down the TPA options for details and textures to the lowest settings?

Have you tried reinstalling TPA from the Google Play store?

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
No noticeable problem with other apps. Tried lowering rez options. No change. Will have to try reinstalling when I have more time.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Only other ideas is in TPA options to turn on Show Touch Zones and maybe try the other touch layouts.

Or you have a defective device. Sorry.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Does this occur in both landscape and portrait?

Have you considered booting into Safe Mode and then trying out TPA?

Potrzebie

Sep 4, 2014
Does this occur in both landscape and portrait?

Have you considered booting into Safe Mode and then trying out TPA?

Yes, both portrait and landscape and yes, in safe mode as well.

Unless anyone else chimes in duplicating the issue, I may have a bum tablet.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Same problem with an Acer Tab (Iconia). All of the Acer Modells Iconia have a problem with the touchscreen. Specialy if a multiball is in game.It has help to used a custom Rom, but not a all. (In the xda forum, there have make a fix, but it was not help to 100% and the thread for the A510 is more or less dead. I want to know the debug settings, but the dev's doesn't react anymore) That was the reason, that I've buy another Tab. If I've used a game controller with the app Sixaxis, the problem was never seen.
On other apps I haven't seen the problem, too, but pinball is the only one which I play (ok Skat too, but for this card game didn't need any "realtime" events)

If there is an update available for your Tab? Maybe there is a bug fix in the area for the driver of the digiziser

Last edited:

crazywolf

Jul 9, 2013
Same Problem on my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. No Screen Protection, current FW 4.4.2. It is not often, but sometimes a Flipper is dead and i loose the ball.

Indy99

May 24, 2013
I have at times experienced a dead right flipper. This is with a Nexus 7 2013 model. It seems like it happens most on the first time you hit the right flipper. I only play in portrait mode.

Mad07

Feb 13, 2013
Btw
Never seen with the Samsung Notepro (and so as mention before: If I use a PS3 controller and the app Sixaxis also never seen anymore on the Iconia)
So it looks like a kernel/driver or in hardest case a HW issue in some version). Maybe you search a little bit in the xda forum for this issue and hope, that the tablett manufacturer deploy an update/fix for that. Acer doesn't spend a fix for the A510, so I've installed a custom Rom on it....

Last edited:

gquiring

Feb 28, 2012
Same here on a Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. Running 4.4.2, stock rom, no rooting. No screen protector. I can't play the tables at all, both flippers are so laggy or dead it won't work. Even starting the game, I have to press most buttons 3 or 4 times before it reacts.

Last edited:

gquiring

Feb 28, 2012
Problem resolved. It must be something I had installed. I also own a Nexus 7 2013 edition, I installed the pinball arcade on it and same issues. I don't use the N7 much so I reset it. I made sure to uncheck the restore all apps button and only installed pinball to see what happens. No lag or dead flippers. So I reset my Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 and it also works fine. I then reinstalled most of the apps I use and the pinball still plays fine. I have no idea what app was conflicting with the game.

Members online

Members online