Disturbing Video

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I had to stop the vid after Omega Race.
You missed the Tempest then. :(

What a bunch of utter f*ckwits. Infantile idiots. Clearly the people that work there know nothing about their profession, only the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I'd have pushed the lot of them off the roof (the people not the games).

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
The downfall of the Tempest machine saddened me as well.

That being said, I am one to endorse some wanton destruction on occasion but, that video was unnecessary.

Speaking of wanton destruction,.. I need some food.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
OMG! As a Tempest owner, I'm glad I stopped watching.

Please tell me there was no monitor in it. You know, the quadscan color vector monitor than NO ONE on the planet makes anymore.

Last edited:

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
There was *a monitor* in it. If it was the Quadrascan it looked like it had been scavenged for boards (HV, deflection, neck) so maybe not as bad as it could be. I have a Star Wars, a Gravitar and an Asteroids here (and used to own a Tempest cabaret), so I understand your horror.

Those are the only monitors I've ever learned how to fix. The last one I rebuilt is in my mate's Tempest cocktail. Such a beautiful game. :)

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
It's a shame he disabled the comments and ratings , because I would love to see the FLOOD of people like in this post, who will tell him how his PR stunt cost them business . But I believe the truth lies in his destroying machines to drive up the value , he probably wanted to cull the less rare ones and make their longterm value increase by decreasing how many there were .

RhodyDave

Sep 4, 2012
That's shameful. You don't burn low-value comics or baseball cards, and you don't destroy low-value pins. The people who did this are not fans of the game and show zero respect for an artform.

jkonami

Apr 4, 2012
If you can't sell them but need to get rid of them, why not GIVE them away? I guarantee every one of those machines would have found a new home. Just require that people arrange their own transportation and watch them disappear! Damn, Street Fighter II, Tempest, ugh. I mean, the original cabs, artwork, control panels have to be worth something even if not the best example.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
He said he's getting death threats.. HAHAHA, I applaud those people going through the trouble and possible legal issues to harass them. :)

I'm guessing these idiots have no clue how easy and profitable it is to restore the machine rather than chuck them off a roof?
And yeah, I would have loved to see one of the guys forget to let go of the machine when throwing it and end up in the pile below.
You just don't do that to Omega Race and expect to go on like nothing ever happened. It will end badly. :p

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Look, I'm not gonna defend these guys...much!

Fact of the matter is, you don't know what condition those machines were in. From what I could tell, the cabinets on all of them were in horrible condition, maybe even suffered water damage. Same goes for the monitors, which might have had screen burn-in the likes of which would make the monitor worthless (and not fixable). Point is, you just don't know.

Did any of you see that vid from PAPA when their facility got flooded? You see them taking sledgehammers and axes to all the damaged tables? Now the difference between their vid and this one is they did show what they tried to salvage for parts, but the beginning of it made it look like they were killing perfectly good tables.

Finally, they were just Gottlieb pins. No loss there. (I kid, I kid!!)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Look, I'm not gonna defend these guys...much!

Fact of the matter is, you don't know what condition those machines were in. From what I could tell, the cabinets on all of them were in horrible condition, maybe even suffered water damage. Same goes for the monitors, which might have had screen burn-in the likes of which would make the monitor worthless (and not fixable). Point is, you just don't know.

Did any of you see that vid from PAPA when their facility got flooded? You see them taking sledgehammers and axes to all the damaged tables? Now the difference between their vid and this one is they did show what they tried to salvage for parts, but the beginning of it made it look like they were killing perfectly good tables.

Finally, they were just Gottlieb pins. No loss there. (I kid, I kid!!)

I showed this to a buddy of mine who has been running an amusement games business (for 30+ years) much like the guys in the video and he said most of those cabs "looked to be in good shape, more or less."

Monitors are easily changed, the artwork sure looks decent to me on a lot of them. I'm sure there were at least parts that could have been pulled from them.
There are so many things in these machines that are needed. From roms to JAMMA harnesses, coin boxes, etc.. I can't see every conceivable part of all of those. Ring completely trashed.

Personally it just seems at some point he decided instead of giving them away to people who would love nothing more than to restore and preserve a piece of history, that he would rather make a viral video that would rile up a lot of gamers.
I personally don't think that was a wise choice based on the fact that he's pissing off the very same people that used to buy from them.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.