Do you prefer the new lighting on the original tables?

Do you prefer the new lighting on the original tables?

• Yes, I prefer playing the tables in a darker environment.

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • No, I prefer playing the tables in a brighter environment.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 2 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Perhaps if FS added a lighing option to match the time of day you were playing, it would feel more realistic.

They do that with PC games using Direct X 10 - DX 11 . , on games like Crysis , I dont know how feasible on the consoles that is , keep in mind they are not coding a simple game , every perimeter of coding into the engine strains the processor and the game will behave in odd ways .

garethjuk

May 22, 2012
They do that with PC games using Direct X 10 - DX 11 . , on games like Crysis , I dont know how feasible on the consoles that is , keep in mind they are not coding a simple game , every perimeter of coding into the engine strains the processor and the game will behave in odd ways .

As a database application developer, I can't say for sure but the level of the lighting should not make too much of a difference, the lighting, relections etc are there anyway, it's just a matter of how bright things are.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
They said in the past that it would require 2 different sets of textures as well, but that might've changed.

garethjuk

May 22, 2012
They said in the past that it would require 2 different sets of textures as well, but that might've changed.

Ahh, I didn't know that two texture sets would be required but what would I know :D, as my artistic tallent starts and stops at matchstick men, that's why I stick to database development. ;)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks for posting those Jeff. Now I'm seriously considering buying TPA for the PS3 too. They all look pretty good, but FH looks amazing.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I am going to have to wait until I get back to my PS3 and try the updated tables before I am able to form any truly informed opinions, but based on those excellent videos posted by Jeff, I think that they look a little bit too dark. Based on those videos Fun House is by far the best. On the other tables, it is difficult to appreciate the playfield artwork in addition to the lighting. I really like how the tables look on the PS Vita where everything is clean and bright and you never have to struggle to see where the ball is, the shots you have to make, or the images on the playfield.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
I think somehow somebody voted a bunch of times for preferring the brighter tables. If I recall correctly, fans of the darker look were leading by like 24-2 or some overwhelming amount and now it's almost a tie. It seems odd.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I prefer the darker look which is what I, along with many others, requested FarSight do if they were only able to do one set of textures. Pinball tables were meant to be played in dimly lit environments. In a bright environment, you lose all lighting effects which are actually part of the gameplay experience. Being able to see the artwork is nice, but adds nothing to the actual gameplay. Not being able to see the lighting on the table properly kills the overall experience in my opinion. If FarSight can eventually allow us to adjust the ambient lighting, then great. If not, the lighting should be left exactly that way it is now with the latest PS3 update.

@FarSight, just so you know, the table lighting on the latest PS3 update is astonishing and exactly what I had envisioned, though adding a little more flash and surrounding effects to the flashers would go a long way. Thanks for these beautifully lit tables...can't wait to play them on the Xbox 360.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think somehow somebody voted a bunch of times for preferring the brighter tables. If I recall correctly, fans of the darker look were leading by like 24-2 or some overwhelming amount and now it's almost a tie. It seems odd.

Yeah.....we had an issue today with someone creating some duplicate accounts, so this might be the very reason.

Last edited:
F

Franky

and guess what - i got a mail on this one - are you serious? just because i feel farsight can do better, i'm the one to blame? i don't even own a ps3.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
Yeah.....we had an issue today with someone creating some duplicate accounts, so this might be the very reason.

It's pretty sad that somebody would take time to create all of those accounts to vote multiple times on a poll. iI'd ban that IP address from using this site. Can we roll back the poll since it's now corrupted with bad data?

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It looks like 13 of the votes were made by the fake accounts that were created yesterday. I found a way to roll those votes back, so the results are now accurate.

Peter NYC

Apr 17, 2012
It looks like 13 of the votes were made by the fake accounts that were created yesterday. I found a way to roll those votes back, so the results are now accurate.

I suspect that you took votes away from the wrong answer. Most people were heavily in favor of the new lighting, and now it looks like the original lighting is preferred.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I suspect that you took votes away from the wrong answer. Most people were heavily in favor of the new lighting, and now it looks like the original lighting is preferred.

Yes, the new lighting was winning by a big margin before.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Whoops! Yes, the information was presented differently on the admin side compared to the poll side, so you're right, I took it off the wrong one. All fixed now :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts