Doctor Who Kickstarter

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I'm extremely interested in the overage. It's an extremely healthy amount above and beyond the goal, especially since there is still an entire day left. Addams had a nice 17.5k bump to give to Dr. Who which it definitely needed to make it a much more doable table. Addams would have succeeded no matter what, I'm sure, but only had about 3k to work with from T2. Twilight zone was still the high mark with 22k. Not sure if those overages factor into the next table. Obviously a huge license doesn't really need to depend on a large amount of money to bring it down. There was never a doubt that Twilight Zone, Star Trek, or Addams would fail. If there is a large amount left over does it make more sense to use it towards a table that would be difficult to get support? Having that good start to Dr. Who was fantastic and probably necessary, but would not have been needed for a table like Addams which started with nearly nothing to bring down the total needed.

Personally I'd rather not see another kickstarter. Obviously, anything Disney affiliated is not going to happen unless it is covered by the Stern app that hasn't released. Same with music tables. Simpsons is really the only license with both a great table and huge appeal, whether it is just for Pinball party or a twofer. Maybe Family Guy, too. Some licenses have great appeal but crappy tables and others have the opposite problem. It's difficult to really speculate without knowing how much money would be required for a table. I'd personally rather see a kickstarter run with a goal for a more moderate table (or group of tables negotiated from a film studio or something). Once that goal was reached, make stretch goals additional licensed tables. Start with the Shadow or Dirty Harry and have stretch goals be for Congo and Demolition Man, Flintstones, etc. I could definitely get behind something like that which would hopefully have a much lower basic goal and bigger payoffs with stretch goals.

Regardless, I am stoked for the support Dr. Who got. It's a fantastic table and the regenerated version sounds very exciting as well.

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
^ Dirty Hairy great idea I have not seen suggested yet. Dirty Hairy was fun the couple times I got try it.

Last edited:

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Demolition Man/The Shadow/Congo would be awesome! And I'll keep dreaming of Williams Indiana Jones :)
Dr Who is a very nice surprise too!

karl

May 10, 2012
The Shadow screams to be released.

And that is hopefully not the most difficult one either. It also screams for an alternative translite. It would be much cheaper without the Alec Baldwin picture license, also. So I really hope that Farsight think ahead and go straight to williams first, to try to persuade them to allow for an alternate translite. There is still the movie license and 3 actor callout parts so it is not a gimme then either.

But if they could do a combo with Shadow and Congo, I would dance the night away :) Both of them very popular with the pinball crowd but probably not big enough with the casual crowd to succeed on their own

Demo man and Dirty Harry are both ok tables, but not in same quality as The Shadow and Congo, I think. And both of them are based on far more popular movies.(or bigger stars) I guess that demo man has a chance if they change the translite but Dirty Harry also has custom speech from Clint Eastwood, along with his picture all over the translite. And that one would not work with an alternate translite, either. What would Dirty Harry be without Clint?

Other licenses I have a soft spot for and hope they can get cheap is Indy 500, Corvette and WCS 94. (Flintstones I am not that familiar with) (non of them very kickstarter friendly, unfortunately)

I am leaving out all the Sterns,(and Disney) since they will probably not happen, because of the new Farsight-Stern deal. I believe that is the reason that we did not see Simpsons on the new kickstarter. A year ago, everything seamed to point towards Simpsons being the next kickstarter

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Good analysis Karl, I think along the same lines. Shadow and Congo are definitely gamers games but not strong licenses to appeal to the casual gamer/funder. I still keep hope out for Indiana Jones. That would be probably a mega license to cover, but it is also a very strong license to appeal to hardcore gamers and casual fans. If Farsight keeps up their end with strong rewards in the KS, who knows what might happen. They have to get through to Disney though and from what I heard they aren't even picking up the phone over there.....

karl

May 10, 2012
Good analysis Karl, I think along the same lines. Shadow and Congo are definitely gamers games but not strong licenses to appeal to the casual gamer/funder. I still keep hope out for Indiana Jones. That would be probably a mega license to cover, but it is also a very strong license to appeal to hardcore gamers and casual fans. If Farsight keeps up their end with strong rewards in the KS, who knows what might happen. They have to get through to Disney though and from what I heard they aren't even picking up the phone over there.....

Ring, Ring, Rrrrrriiing. Hello, this is Dinsney. Unfortunately there is just to much to do over here in La La Land for us to pick up the phone. But, if you leave a message, there is always hope ;)

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/PinballArcade/status/697558922689802240

Was lead to this also by your link. Says Dr. Who and the new regenerated version will both be part of season 6... as seperate packs. On the kickstarter reward it says the original and regenerated table + 9 yet to be announced additional tables. So hows this gonna work? Season 6 gets 11 table packs? We have been getting 10 'packs' per season starting with season 3.

Just had a thought, maybe its still 10 packs and we get annother 2fer! Hopefully more EMs

Last edited:

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
So maybe they sell the regenerated as a part of Dr Who and it will be a switch like Addams family gold (I think Mike said so in the podcast, that it would be a switch that is) and then 9 more 'stand alone' tables.

There are those who dislike the thought of a regenerated table being part of TPA, so a switch in the table menu is better from that perspective too. Maybe we can get more 'switches' for modded tables with updated roms (wouldn't hold my breath though).

10 packs with 1 as a switch.

Looking forward to the regenerated table but if it is bad no hard feelings, I will just play the 'real' Dr Who table instead.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'd have to listen to the podcast again, but I think FS may be considering also releasing Dr Who plus Regen as a standalone app apart from TPA, as well as having them be part of TPA Seasons 6. Much like they did with Scared Stiff. Certainly for Whovians who aren't otherwise into pinball, that would be a better starting off point.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I'd have to listen to the podcast again, but I think FS may be considering also releasing Dr Who plus Regen as a standalone app apart from TPA, as well as having them be part of TPA Seasons 6. Much like they did with Scared Stiff. Certainly for Whovians who aren't otherwise into pinball, that would be a better starting off point.

That was the impression I had that any premium and/or high profile tables would be getting the standalone treatment as well as being part of a season.

Dr. Who and its regenerated version will both be one of the tables for the season. I would also guess that the additional 9 tables are packs and there might be a possibility of another EM two pack so potentially more than just 9 in season 6

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I asked Mike if it would be a toggle switch, he said it'd be a separate table in the app. Jared then suggested it could be like Scared Stiff or Ghostbusters, getting a stand alone app, but Mike didn't really have a comment toward that.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
That just proves that memory is shiate!
This is why I'm not religious, if one can believe one heard one thing but then it is clearly wrong...

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Ring, Ring, Rrrrrriiing. Hello, this is Dinsney. Unfortunately there is just to much to do over here in La La Land for us to pick up the phone. But, if you leave a message, there is always hope ;)

:) I actually have a colleague doctor who put her email on constant out of office assistant because she got fed up by all the email. Maybe Farsight should visit the Disney offices live and just totally crash the party over there.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.