Downloading avatars

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
I know this isn't TPA related, but I'd like some help in download a way-cool avatar like the rest of my fellow posters. I have seen in the "edit profile" a box for custom avatar, but when I try to add the address for my image, it gives me an error msg. I'm using an iPod first generation, 64GB of memory (bought to download my library of music, but found the new iOS wouldn't allow it. Oh well..). All I want is to change my avatar. Can anyone advise me? Thanks, Buzz

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I don't know your apple device, but are you talking about an avatar for this forum?

The link that you enter here should point to a .jpg image file. So the link must end with .jpg
(.png or .gif should work as well)

PS: "Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 29.3 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It was easier for me using a PC. iOS is kind of difficult (IMO) for this kind of stuff. Do you have access to a PC?

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I know this isn't TPA related, but I'd like some help in download a way-cool avatar like the rest of my fellow posters. I have seen in the "edit profile" a box for custom avatar, but when I try to add the address for my image, it gives me an error msg. I'm using an iPod first generation, 64GB of memory (bought to download my library of music, but found the new iOS wouldn't allow it. Oh well..). All I want is to change my avatar. Can anyone advise me? Thanks, Buzz
What error message?

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
What error message?
Tabe, it isn't an error message per se, it just doesn't recognize the web address for the image.

Kolchak & Biff-no, I don't have access to a PC. It was one of the items I got rid of, thinking I'd be able to handle things with my iPad. If I had the PC, I'm sure I could get the jpeg to where I need it to be, but it's a little frustrating working with iOS, it doesn't seem to want to let me do anything! Frustrating indeed.

N

netizen

Are you using option 1, the internet address location, or option 2, the local address location, in the avatar upload dialogue?

Only option 1 allows you to manually enter a location, whereas option 2 prompts you to browse for the file on your system; it shouldn't matter what OS/Platform you're using as you're just pointing to a local file to upload via the browser.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Are you using option 1, the internet address location, or option 2, the local address location, in the avatar upload dialogue?

Only option 1 allows you to manually enter a location, whereas option 2 prompts you to browse for the file on your system; it shouldn't matter what OS/Platform you're using as you're just pointing to a local file to upload via the browser.

Yup, trying with option 2 all #%*@&ing day. Found some info on the web. I need to find a small enough image, which isn't easy, for me anyway. I REFUSE to be beaten by a machine assembled by man. That's one more reason I play pinball...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
whats the issue just to be clear you need to host an image for your avatar?

edit - gimmie five buzz, you have the image you want to use?

imageshack and imgur offer ios apps for uploading pics, hope that helps itll reside it for your needs too

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
If you can't find a small image, one of us would be happy to resize it for you. Just post a link to the image here.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Heretic and Jeff: thanks for your offers, it confirms what I thought, I made the right decision signing up for this forum. I usually don't do it, I just kinda lurk around the outside. You may have read my introduction, I have more time than most to be on the Web. I'm not as computer literate as some, so I have to sneak up on a solution rather than follow the correct steps. As you can see, I beat this soulless tool! No, I didn't go to Tech, but that's another story. When I get up the drive to sign up for the chat, we will sit around the digital campfire! Again, many thanks for your offers. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Joz

Sep 27, 2013
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but an Avatar question: I just uploaded this Avatar, which is a color image. Anyone know why it shows up black & white here?

Joz

Sep 27, 2013
Well I figured it out. The reason it was Black & White was because my dumbass had "Save as Grayscale" ticked in my image editor from something I was working on a few days before.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.