DPO Dutch Pinball Open mini-review

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Hi guys,

Just had a great weekend at the yearly DPO (Dutch Pinball Open), the tournament that is organised by our own Dutch Pinball Society. Aside from the fact that I'm very happy with our third place in the team tournament (yes! My first real pinball prize ever :) ), it was also a great weekend for playing and talking pinball. It's a pure personal short review, written on the afterglow and residue adrenalin of the weekend. A definite high point was that we had Roger Sharpe and Greg Freres as guests of honor. They both did a seminar and some meet & greets, and they were present when the prize ceremony was held. Great to have those industry legends over from the States and especially Roger has tons of fun and interesting stories to tell. He has a broad view on pinball from his long history and where we as pinball geeks are excited about the recent upswing in the pinball scene (Jersey Jack, the newer Sterns, Heighway Pinball, Silver Castle, Dutch Pinball etc), he put that in proper perspective when he told us about the production rate of machines back in the days of Bally/Williams. There was also a great line-up of old and new pinball machines, the total tallied 170, part for tournament play, part for the casual players. It was a big eclectic collection, ranging from some very old EM-style pins to the latest machines from Stern like Game of Thrones, Kiss and the Walking Dead. There was a Jersey Jack WOZ and even 5 The Big Lebowksi machines by the Dutch Pinball team. They were so-called engineer models that were put out to do some last testing before production. It is fair to say that they still had some issues but overall the pins made a very good impression, they were lightyears ahead from the prototype models at last year's DPO. Tough pin that will do very well in the home market, it's a challenging game! Another nice surprise were the 2 Full Throttle machines from Heighway Pinball. It was my first time on them and I came away impressed by the great flow in them and the real sturdy build. Still not sure about that DMD in the playfield, that will require some re-wiring in my brain probably to get used to that. The new Sterns were nice, never played Game of Thrones or Kiss before, but I was familiar with the Walking Dead pin. I must say that although I always like new pins, I don't fall in love with new Sterns that easily. This was also the case with Kiss which I didn't really like for it's theme. They did a great job with the art though, and the eyecatcher is offcourse the Gene Simmons head with the long tongue. I was a bit disappointed that it was not an LE, so I didn't see the "spitting" mechanism at work. Both Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are themes I really like, and that means that I will have an expectation beforehand on how they should implement it. Last year I already really liked the Walking Dead, and this was even more so this time around, because an LE was brought. That includes a crossbow toy that will let you shoot balls at targets, akin to the phasers in the SSTNG machine. There is one "bow" and it is located almost under the apron. It swings out from under there. I think this is a nice addition because the Well Walker and the Prison Block building in the middle of table are not that interactive as toys. But the 2 things I like most about TWD is the original playfield layout and overall atmosphere. There is a nice red led glow that makes it very menacing. The DMD animations are nicely over the top as far as the violence goes. The Game of Thrones pinball I'm less excited about, it has some great shots, but doesn't feel that different from the Stern Star Trek which in itself has also great flow. There is a bundle of ramps to make and it has the same thing where the ball is shot back with force, like when you hit the spaceship in Star Trek, but what goes back to the Yagov shot in F-14 and the Raptor lane in Jurassic Park for example. In Game of Thrones it's the black dragon that spits "fire". Two things I didn't like about Game Of Thrones is the playfield art that is nowhere near the graphic style that the series has. Great shiny rectangly inserts with no atmosphere at all. Also some of the DMD animations suffer at close-up, and that's often the case when Stern uses real series or movie footage (Spiderman anyone?). The DMD animations on the Walking Dead are far better, because they use more of a comic book style there, then try to incorporate real life images from the TV series. I know there has been a lot of criticism about the playfield art on Game of Thrones, and I think that they missed a chance there. On the other hand, I also get that the table has to be playable and that in a fast game you need clear indicators on the playfield, but even then I feel they could have made more out of the graphic style of the TV series. I even would have settled for a visual style that had been based on the famous intro trailer of episodes. One thing that can be overlooked easily though is that all the Sterns worked perfectly this weekend as far as I have seen. They seem to have their production processes and QA down to a science now and they are the longest active player now in the market, so that can be expected probably.

With the ever increasing number of TPA table releases, there was bound to be overlap with them in physical presence. Just for fun a list of TPA tables I have seen and/or played this weekend in no particular order:
TZ, Roadshow, Gorgar (sadly broken most of the time), Whirlwind, BOP (including 2.0 P-ROC), AFM, Medieval Madness (re-release and conversion into Medieval Castle https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-castle not working yet though), Funhouse, MB, CFTBL, EATPM, NGG, SS, SSTNG, Dr. Dude, Cactus Canyon, White Water, Centaur, The Champion Pub, T2 (including a very nice chrome edition with very tasteful LED lighting), Fish Tales, Junk Yard, BSD, The Party Zone, Earthshaker, Jack-Bot (also broken), Getaway, F14 Tomcat and Frankenstein.

Although I think that in the long run I will profit from my TPA experience in real life pinball, this weekend the opposite seemed true. I chose all TPA tables except one in the individual qualification tournament and sucked big-time on all of them. I know they will play very differently (and harder) in real life, but still couldn't get my brain to accept that when I played them. I got my best score on the one non-TPA table and that was a Demolition Man that I hardly knew. I keep telling myself that knowing the rules and how to best achieve scores by playing TPA will give an edge in real competition, but on the short run I will have to learn how to play better and differently on the real machines. The one exception was the Party Zone I played on in the team tournament, that one I rocked as the only member of our team. But then I was already playing a whole day and the negative TPA effect seemed to have disappeared. I'll go over to the thread about that topic and post some of my experience there also.

Well, there you have it, a great tournament, lots of fun, nice to be there with all the good pin folk. Looking forward to next year!
If you want to check out more about this DPO, Pinball news will definitely have a report on it in the coming days, because Martin Ayub was present the whole weekend and taking pictures.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Thanks for the nice write up. Sounds like a great event.
Curious about your thoughts on BoP 2.0. I've never seen one in person, but it certainly looks very interesting. What did you think of it?

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I'm a fan of BOP 2.0. I think the Dutch Pinball guys did an amazing thing for vanilla BOP and made the gameplay a lot more interesting and more challenging. The fact that you can choose between both versions at the start of the game actually gives you two games in one pinball machine. I love the (professional quality of the) animations and call-outs, but the extension of the ruleset and the MB-play is where it is at for me. I do have to say that I don't have extensive experience with it, but I know vanilla BOP very well from TPA and I played probably around 20-30 games of BOP 2.0 in different venues and seen others play it. I haven't made it to the end-game myself but I think I saw enough the rest of the game to be qualified to have an opinion.... :) As far as quality versus price, I couldn't say if it is worth the money, but that is because I really don't know what it cost actually. I heard Jaap from DP say this weekend that the third batch is actually confirmed, they wanted to wait until they had 25 orders and now are at 17, but they are going to produce it anyway (probably still with the hope that the confirmation of that batch will get some people to join the party).

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Nice report. Really sounds like a great weekend.
For real virtual training I recommend forget about nudge in TPA or try a table in VP ;)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Good suggestion. I actually have extensive experience with VP, but stopped playing it almost 3 years ago, courtesy of TPA. Because I'm really into playing I missed the kind of leaderboard system TPA has, and besides hacking it's not really possible to adjust tables to cheat, something you wouldn't know for sure in VP with the editor as tool. And I hated that I got the best score on one particular version of a table, and then a few months later everybody (including myself) jumped ship to the next updated version of the same table (or VP). I don't know how far VP actually is now, I did hear good things about VP10. With VP9 there were tables that were very hard, but also very easy. Nudging in my recollection was even more extreme than on TPA.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
It has quite evolved a bit! VP X is still in beta, but getting better daily. There are already over a hundred tables, mostly conversions, but also some vanilla vpx. Most of them are great.
Later VP 9.9 and especially the Physmod5 tables are usually great.

Sounds complicated I understand and I also miss the great integration and features that TPA delivers - it is just more instant fun and more community in game.

But to get the most realistic Sim of a table in terms of game play VP is still the way to go.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
M
I'm a fan of BOP 2.0. I think the Dutch Pinball guys did an amazing thing for vanilla BOP and made the gameplay a lot more interesting and more challenging. The fact that you can choose between both versions at the start of the game actually gives you two games in one pinball machine. I love the (professional quality of the) animations and call-outs, but the extension of the ruleset and the MB-play is where it is at for me. I do have to say that I don't have extensive experience with it, but I know vanilla BOP very well from TPA and I played probably around 20-30 games of BOP 2.0 in different venues and seen others play it. I haven't made it to the end-game myself but I think I saw enough the rest of the game to be qualified to have an opinion.... :) As far as quality versus price, I couldn't say if it is worth the money, but that is because I really don't know what it cost actually. I heard Jaap from DP say this weekend that the third batch is actually confirmed, they wanted to wait until they had 25 orders and now are at 17, but they are going to produce it anyway (probably still with the hope that the confirmation of that batch will get some people to join the party).

Thanx
Sounds fantastic.

karl

May 10, 2012
Great report, slam. And it was great to hear some feedback on machines I have ordered. I am in on batch 2 of bop 2.0. It is supposed to be shipping any day now.

About the price for bop 2.0, it is really expensive. In fact, much more expensive than a used bop. I believe it was almost 2000$ (even more with vat)

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Whoa, that's quite steep, I was thinking more along the lines of a couple of hundred dollars, max 1000. Then again, it's literally two games in one, so you even win some space for the mancave... :)'
Which tables are you in on Karl?

Last edited:

karl

May 10, 2012
+ you get a pc and a completely new speaker system ;)

I am in on Full Throttle, The Hobbit, Alien and The Big Lebowski.

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks. I did have to sell off a few titles I loved to afford it. No Twilight Zone, Indiana Jones, Metallica, Tron, Iron Man or Star Trek in my house anymore. :(

The wait has been long but at least it looks like these companies will not got under, like Predator and Papaduik.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts