Dr. Dude / Firepower Screenshots (360)

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Yeah being a TPA fan is very much a mixture of pleasure and pain, thankfully more of the former. The frustrating part comes from liking it so much and wanting it to be perfect. Looking back over the year its easy to forget all the problems, I don't think any developer has ever made so many mistakes ( multiple, multiple rejections etc ) and also had so much bad luck too.
Lots of small developers have made mistakes on the consoles. Even big time developers have made games that wound up crashing and burning. Keep in mind that the mathematical calculations required to produce convincing physics is astronomical. While it is frustrating that seemingly obvious bugs, such as the flipper gap in MM and the arcing right orbit in AFM, made it into the final releases (and still haven't been corrected), and poor design choices, such as the easying of tables (particularly SS and BOP), and certain tables turning out inferior to their PHOF counterparts, they've still pulled off this difficult feat surprisingly well.

night

May 18, 2012
Firepower is too monochrome, but this has to do with the lighting simulation I guess. Perhaps we have to see this in action to better judge. Dr Dude looks good. I hold my breath for the iOS version, the 360 version looks smooth and slick. I fear the blurry texture maps and the pixeleration on the mobiles.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Yeah, it's missing the warmth of the incandescent bulbs, along with the myriad reflections, bounce lighting, coloured shadows and everything else that makes the real world... realistic.

Some of this stuff is obviously too hard to do for a video game at this point in time, but still... these tables really do look quite sterile.

Sorry to harp on it, but I think the 1080p decision really was a bad one. I would have preferred those cycles to go in to making a better looking game, with better lighting and shadows, than a high resolution, sterile, dull looking game.

N

Nik Barbour

I hold my breath for the iOS version, the 360 version looks smooth and slick.

The Android version is very good on a Nexus7 - and has further improved flipper control. :)
mery4u2a.jpg

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
Well, at least there is more color saturation on the ipad versions of these tables, I would rather have punchy colours than realistic shadows any day!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I like the lighting in the slings and bumpers. I think it looks really good. I also prefer the cleaner, brighter look of these. But that could just be me. I don't miss the orange/yellow glow. But hey, I like LEDs in EMs, so I may not be the one to judge.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Anyone else think this type of camera angle would be awesome? I'd love to be able to see the backglass during play.

I don't like the straight overhead camera because that's not how it looks when I play an actual table, but I get why some do. As for the backglass, I agree in it being cool to see. That's why I wish instead of seeing arcade carpet, we could see this...

Firepower_1-6.jpg

I also like that because you see ALL the scores at the same time.

N

Nik Barbour

I don't like the straight overhead camera because that's not how it looks when I play an actual table, but I get why some do. As for the backglass, I agree in it being cool to see. That's why I wish instead of seeing arcade carpet, we could see this...

Firepower_1-6.jpg

I also like that because you see ALL the scores at the same time.

I'd prefer the wooden floor from xbox.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Probably looks better for the small screen crowd. When I play TPA on a iphone I use the lower screen or else it gets too small.

N

Nik Barbour

I was looking at your screen shot again, the ball skin looks very dark, no chrome feeling?

Android TZ beta accidentally changed the ball skin to match ios back in Nov, and everyone involved at the time disliked it, and when polled chose the darker ball when given the choice by Ryan.

I'd agree it is a little too dark, but a lot better than WPHOF (xbox).

The ball is better lit and better looking on other tables.
6amejama.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.