DX11 Public Beta Now Available

Arcade

Apr 21, 2015
Finally had the time to try out portrait dx11 in my cab.
I have to say: Eldorado still looks like crap.
Just joking.
Marvelous job there Farsight!
Really breathes life into this. Great with the sliders and all.
I noticed some extreme good top views for portrait on some tables with cam3. did you already adjust cam views in dx11? example champion pub.
on some tables the round elements looked a bit eliptical...maybe this has to do with the cam too? emaple ToM.

Overall:Great
Best thing for me ist the pink gone (can't stress this enough)

running super smooth on 1080p portrait all maxed out: i5, 4GB, 560ti, ssd

How are you guys getting portrait mode to work?
I am dying to try it out but nothing I have tried so far is working.
I need hand holding instructions please. lol

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
How are you guys getting portrait mode to work?
I am dying to try it out but nothing I have tried so far is working.
I need hand holding instructions please. lol

Use your GPU driver settings or the default Windows tool to rotate the desktop.
(Windows 7: right click on desktop -> "select screen resolution")
Then launch the TPA configuration utility, go to the "Display (DX11)" tab
and select a portrait resolution.

For example:
Back Buffer Width 1080
Back Buffer Height 1920

Last edited:

Arcade

Apr 21, 2015
Use your GPU driver settings or the default Windows tool to rotate the desktop.
(Windows 7: right click on desktop -> "select screen resolution")
Then launch the TPA configuration utility, go to the "Display (DX11)" tab
and select a portrait resolution.

For example:
Back Buffer Width 1080
Back Buffer Height 1920

Thanks.
I will give that a try.

Arcade

Apr 21, 2015
Thanks a million Biff. That did the trick.
The problem I was having, and I have not seen this mentioned anywhere, is that the program defaults the Back Buffer Width and height wrong when you select portrait.
I was always getting a stupid thin strip of video across the middle of my screen.
But after reversing what they have in those two settings it works great.
Thanks again as that was all I was missing.

Another question I have is, why do the tables with plungers use Enter to launch the ball and tables with an auto launch button use the spacebar?
When I put this in my cabinet, I do not have a spacebar programmed to launch balls. I'm sure there is reason for this, but why did they not just use one input to launch?

Last edited:

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
GTX670 and Maxed out settings, HOLY HELL does Monster Bash look GORGEOUS!

The DMD is pretty bright though...

10% Room Light and about 40% Bulb light for me is how I like to play it, been through about 20 tables and looks fantastic for the most part.

AFM looks better, but not quite seizure mode in Strobe Multiball yet. :cool:

Last edited:

zastian

Sep 10, 2013
Just wanted to chime and and say that the speed issues I had with certain tables (Cirqus Voltaire, Whitewater, a few others) are all gone now. Everything is running and looking great! I love this new mode! I think it's a better preparation for the real thing since playing a machine on location is usually never in a well-lit locale.

Great job, Farsight!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I think it's a better preparation for the real thing since playing a machine on location is usually never in a well-lit locale.

Great job, Farsight!

You know what's really bad? Playing in a locale that's so well lit, you can't see the table thru the reflections on the glass.

Spitfire

Apr 6, 2013
Hi tried to download Beta today followed instruction but can't find dx11 beta in the beta tap section under properties?? Is it still available or am I missing something?? Thx Joe

Spitfire

Apr 6, 2013
Have restarted steam and restarted PC and nothing but what I already mentioned. Is this beta available worldwide as I'm in Melbourne Australia? Would really like to try this out on my Virtual Pinball Cabinet??

foxystyle

Nov 23, 2013
TPA with DirectX 11 on an IPS screen in the portrait mode looks brilliant. I love the colours, everything looks sharp. The bulb light effects are really good.

I wonder how TPA would look on an OLED/AMOLED screen.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
DX11 beta continues to simply WOW me, bulb slider, i am in pinball heaven at the moment, well done all and keep up the good work Farsight, and all of you doing the beta testing and posting bugs for farsight, DX11 is looking glorious.

seattlemark

Jan 8, 2013
Jaw dropping!

AMD 1045 cpu @2.5
4GB RAM
Win 8.1
ATI 7770 Graphics 1GB O/B

Flawless (so far)
EDIT:Black Hole = lag (follow up in bug thread)

I will now indulge myself with a full day of just enjoying the crap out of every table in the list again like it was the first time I've ever played it...scores schmores, this is freaking gorgeous!!

B-E-autiful

Hi Larry or anyone else using an ATI/AMD Radeon card (particularly the 7770 which is the one Larry and I are using),

What settings are you using in the AMD Catalyst Center and in the TPA DX11 Config tab to get the least amount of shimmering and pixelation?

I have been mainly using Addams Family as my comparison table. When I compare the DX9 to DX11, I am getting a little bit more shimmering and pixelation in DX11 over DX9 when there is camera/table movement. For example when the table is first selected, and there is the Camera Flyover, I see more shimmering on the horizontal rails in DX11, much more edge pixelation on the bar over the back ramp, and some more shimmering on the spider (or insect) near the pink box. Don't get me wrong- DX11 display is great in other ways, but I am trying to sharpen my picture. Here are the settings I am using at the moment:

For both DX11 and DX9, in AMD Catalyst Control Center I have all the Defaults selected other than: Anti-Aliasing Mode = Override applications settings; Anti-Aliasing = 12x, Filter=Edge Detect, Anti-Aliasing=Supersampling, Morpohological Filtering=Off (I'm not sure if On helps here or not).

For DX11, in TPA config Tab, I am currently using MSAA Samples = 4 (If I go to for example 8, everything slows down), MSAA Quality = 50 (I can go higher too, but I am not sure if helps or not), and Anisotropy=16

Thanks.

Last edited:

Spitfire

Apr 6, 2013
Are you on Windows? osx_default sounds like you run a Mac with Mac OS. DX11 is a Windows only technology.

Hey Rhandos thx for reply mate. I'm running latest update of Windows 8.1. Yeah something strange going on. Will try again today after full shutdown. I want to try this badly!!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts