DX11 slow performance?

Nate

Jan 20, 2015
60 fps with leftover CPU power coming out my nose --genuine intel i7 @ 3.16 16gb ddr3 RAM and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 750 and i run 2560 x 1600 with everything cranked up to the max and the only time it gets slow its right when the table loads but as soon as i press start it snaps back to 60fps....This game is looking effing incredible, it doesnt seem very often my expectations are even close to me by a game developer so thank you mike and thank you farsight for listening to us both now during this public beta and also in our private beta where the same handful of us nitpick the crap out of your work day in and day out, I'm honered you guys are tha shiznit!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Are you talking about max settings for TPA DX11?
How do you use one screen for the playfield and another screen for the backglass?
The game currently doesn't allow you to split these parts.
Also, watching the playfield from a far distance in portrait mode without camera movement
doesn't hurt your GPU as much as when your play camera 4 in landscape mode.
You may want to try that with max settings, because this is Brunos issue here (on TOTAN, BH & CV).
(I also prefer portrait mode with static cam)

My PC is setup for Visual Pinball the card is driving 2 screens. When I use Pinball Arcade it runs on the playfield and the backglass is static. I display the backgkass in Infraview. The point I was making is I have no stutter with a fairly old setup plus my card is displaying a second screen, even though it is static it still displays it and uses Video RAM, and those here with stutter aren't doing that.

Before the camera mod I did have a moving camera and didn't have problems. One thing I will say, I have to All Enter into full screen otherwise the screen suffers from splitting.

By Max settings I am talking about the TPA ones. In nVIdia I let the app manage most settings, apart from Max Performance preferred. I see no deteriation in quality with this setting and I am a fussy sod.

As I said I have tuned the hell out of my Core i7 PC over the years so that might make a difference to TPA like it certainly does for VP. I turn Virtual memory off (not needed as 3.5 GB RAM is plenty). Turn windows rubbish off, use a lightweight AV, no apps running in Background especially Norton, Skyupe, Adobe updater, etc., disable services not needed, assign some Apps to specific cores (affinity).

Over the years I have ended up fixing so many family and friends PC and the stuff they have running in the background is quite alarming. And this frequently the cause perf issues. Might not be the case here but worth a try.

Last edited:

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
And the Radeon hasn't had one lick of problem (nor have the other two, for that matter). I would think, looking at the parts you describe, that the game should run perfectly fine. Could there be driver issues?

As well as the Video drivers I remember some years ago that the chip set drivers I installed after a clean install caused VP to stutter like crazy. By changing those it fixed it.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
I had never had any instances of slowdown until yesterday. Then I had Safecracker go slow- mo for about 3 seconds when the ball was in the pops (never happened again), T2 got suuuuper slow for about 2-3 seconds with the ball near the flippers. And one other time that I can't remember. That's on an AMD R9 280.

FlippyFloppy

FarSight Employee
Nov 13, 2013
I had never had any instances of slowdown until yesterday. Then I had Safecracker go slow- mo for about 3 seconds when the ball was in the pops (never happened again), T2 got suuuuper slow for about 2-3 seconds with the ball near the flippers. And one other time that I can't remember. That's on an AMD R9 280.

Is this by chance happening when the cameras transition?

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Im able to rum dx9 on the lowest settings and it works fine...alter the settings and it struggles. I try dx11 and everything stutters and it is in slow motion. What surprises me though, is apparently my laptop is supposed to be reasonable as far as things go.

Does anyone know how I can check the laptop performance etc when running TPA...perhaps this may help to highlight any issues as Im wondering if my laptop may be capable of running TPA after all and its some setting Im not aware of etc.

Thanks guys/gals

EDIT. Just realised you can check FPS in Steam...its 31 to 32 FPS but not sure if that's good or bad :)

Double edit :) Just noticed my comp is similar to the one at the star of this thread so guess I'll not bother trying to get it working and just wait for my upgrade to get sorted. Ney mind

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Im able to rum dx9 on the lowest settings and it works fine...alter the settings and it struggles. I try dx11 and everything stutters and it is in slow motion. What surprises me though, is apparently my laptop is supposed to be reasonable as far as things go.

Does anyone know how I can check the laptop performance etc when running TPA...perhaps this may help to highlight any issues as Im wondering if my laptop may be capable of running TPA after all and its some setting Im not aware of etc.

Thanks guys/gals

EDIT. Just realised you can check FPS in Steam...its 31 to 32 FPS but not sure if that's good or bad :)

Double edit :) Just noticed my comp is similar to the one at the star of this thread so guess I'll not bother trying to get it working and just wait for my upgrade to get sorted. Ney mind

You keep trying ;)
Go get that upgrade :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.