DX11 Tips & Tricks

utblick

Feb 14, 2013
I'm starting this thread for sharing DX11 Tips and Tricks to optimize visual appearance and increasing performance (high and stable frame rate).

Visual appearence

For each table Room Brightness and Bulb Brightness can be set. Values from 0-100% can be set.
This is really great and make tables looking even more beautiful (for personal taste and mood).

Performance

In the beta right now TPA starts in fullscreen window mode (a Windows frame exists around the screen).
Performance can possibly be increased when running in fullscreen mode instead (no Windows frame exists).
To manually change to fullscreen mode in the beta - press and hold Alt key and then press the Enter key.

In the configuration utility (Start TPA from Steam client and select Launch Configuration Utility) performance can possibly increase by making some changes. I'm running TPA on a cheep laptop with Nvidia 840m Graphics (HP Pavilion) and when changing MSAA Samples from 4 to 1 all the tables are now running perfectly smooth at 60 fps.

I also had to go into the Nvidia app for Manage 3D Settings:
- I added 'pinballarcade11.exe' (otherwise my laptop was using the integrated Intel 4400 Graphics with bad performance).
- I then for 'pinballarcade11.exe' set 1 for 'Maximum pre-rendered frames'.
- Possibly can performance also increase by setting 'Power management' to 'Prefer maximum performance'.

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
I would add that if your display looks squished when alt+enter is used to go to fullscreen, just do it 2 more times (back to window and back to full ) and it fixes it.
as well when toggling to full screen your frame rate my jump significantly and you have to use your display settings Nvidia app to force v-sync

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Lowering resolution i dx11 settings can have a good effect on performance. Menu's might look weird but actual table should look normal.
Here's a vid for nvidia settings to improve performance.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
As noted in the patch notes, you can now show your frame rate in game by using the -fps arguement when launching the program. So we can now get some real numbers on framerates and what improvements happen.

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
the sound controls in dx11 aren't currently working, however
if you launch dx9 version you can set your volumn levels there and they carry over to the dx11 beta as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts