Which table do you prefer?

• Eight Ball Deluxe

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Centaur

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
So after having played EBD quite a lot, I've realized that this s a table I will come back to in the future. The main thing is the scoring. Something about this table keeps me coming back, and I think it's that. You sink the eight ball in the corner pocket (what if I wanted to go for center pocket?) and I'm like, well I might as well go for deluxe, because it keeps telling me to, but that's not even that good for scoring. What I'm trying to say is that this is the type of table that has different ways of scoring, and it's up to you to decide. Centaur isn't as simple as it seems either, so I change my vote to a tie

invitro

May 4, 2012
The main thing is the scoring. Something about this table keeps me coming back, and I think it's that.
For one thing, it doesn't take a long time to play to get a high score. For another, maybe, it doesn't take too much work to get at the maximum scoring level, where the saucer is worth 900k or whatever it is. You just need to get the 112k bonus (or whatever it is, sorry) lit once in a game, then on each ball, knock down the 5X drop and the eight ball drop, and you're ready for Big Points. So there is very little "grinding" or at least it seems that way. Of course you have to work in left orbit shots for EB's.

I was trying to compare EBD to F14 which to me is somewhat similar although I know that on the surface they are completely different. In F14, after you've been playing a long game and a multiball ends, getting the next MB going is a bit of a drudge. At least if you've got all the available EB's. EBD has a bit of a drudge after a ball ends and you need to get the 5X and EB/special again, but it seems less grindy.

But I dunno, I think the high scores will go a lot higher pretty soon. I bet the top 10 will be over 50M in a year, maybe over 100M. You just need to get the 900k set up and then don't drain.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Having played both quite a bit as a much younger man, I would vote for EBD in real life, but not by much. As for the TPA recreations, EBD would be my vote by a mile. I really wish Centaur wasn't done so early in TPA, both Xenon and EBD really benefited from being done later.....IMHO.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
I'm going to say Centaur.

EBD was one of the first 10 tables i played IRL and it wasn't that memorable for me. The TPA recreation of it needs to be tuned a bit, it suffers from ludicrous-speed syndrome.

The 2nd thought was maybe i'm just getting old, I don't have time to react to how fast the ball is moving, but then i play Centaur and my thoughts are validated. Or is Centaur too slow?

karl

May 10, 2012
I complained about this in the steam beta (no one else seemed to mind, though)

But the more I have played it, the more I think that maybe a little higher speed than in real life is not such a bad thing. Digital is always easier than the real thing and I think that if EBD was slower, it would have been to easy.

Right now, it is still much easier than the real thing. (on steam) I could never have gotten anywhere near 10 million on the real thing. But it feels challenging and fair to me now. And that keeps me coming back for more.

If they decided to make shots harder to hit instead, they would not feel as satisfying or as close to the real thing. I feel they did an awesome job with this one

I know most of us would like everything as close to the real thing as possible. But I am not sure that I would enjoy it, if it was to easy. So I am a little bit torn about this one

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm going with EBD, but we're talking a 52-48 type balance here.

I just like playing EBD more overall. Centaur is still one of the best tables in TPA.

I've always like pool themed tables.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.