Finally got an iPad, woohoo

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Hey guys! If you are looking for an iPad controller, might I suggest the iCade Core arcade controller? Prices on these things fluctuate wildly. When I bought mine they were going for about $23 on Amazon. Right now the cheapest new price I've found is $35, up to $60.

Now here's the rub: the stock buttons/stick are garbage. Stiff. Icky. But they are easily replaced. A full set of 8 goldleaf switch pushbuttons will set you back about $14, a better stick about the same. Swap them out and you now have a fantastic portable arcade machine.

But....

That's not why you want the icade... Forget about that, just buy two of the pushbuttons, grab a dremmel and some cheap wire, and drill holes on the side of the plastic case. Wire the buttons (no soldering required) to the existing contacts, snap the case back together and after about an hour of work you will have a perfect pinball controller with side buttons.

I've done this on a Sunday afternoon and it was really fun. I had such a good time, and the pinball feels so much better, that I took my USB arcade stick controller and performed the same operation for my laptop. Bought a rotating monitor for about $120 and now I have a ghetto Virtual Pin set up with a portrait display. Beats the pants off of standard controller play and 16:9 views.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Been resisting an Ipad purchase for years, but that list of board games, plus playing FTL (one of the best games I've played on the PC in the last five years) on the go....

Sigh. I'll have to save that list for when I finally break down and buy one. Thanks for the suggestions however, that's a mighty big temptation.

One question though, how much space do all those apps take up? Would a 16GB model be reasonable, or do you need something bigger?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Bigger. I hit the ceiling on my 16gb really fast. Only a small percentage of HotHamBoy's list would fit.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm going to keep a close eye on sales/refurbished, those things are pricey.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm going to keep a close eye on sales/refurbished, those things are pricey.

I got a 64gb and I honestly wish I'd gone with a 128gb. I'm also a crazy person who likes to have EVERYTHING downloaded, so for most people I think 64gb is good. But the newest iPads seem to have ditched the 64gb. The Air 2 is honestly still really good, but if you are an artist you might consider the newest model if only because it supports the Apple Pencil, which would make a $700 iPad as good as a $2000 cintiq, I'd wager.

Most apps are between 50-150mb, but obviously there are plenty between 1-3gb. I think most board games end up being around 200-600mb.

Another thing to remember about the 16gb is that you actually only get about 11gb...

I got my iPad through Sprint, I pay about $35 a month. I'll probably end up having spent an extra $100 on it after it's paid off, but spreading it out over two years as an add-on to my phone bill is pretty painless.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Definitely go for at least 64GB or you'll regret it. I'm on my 4th iPad and I've increased the GB each time, so I'm up to 128GB on my iPad Pro.

neglectoid

Sep 27, 2012
How you been Neglecter?

We're getting the band back together
been doing good bro. same ole, same ole. work, then getting sloppy drunk every night. I would of called you but I didn't get home until real late. btw, you should erase your post with your phone number on it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Twilight Struggle just released on IOS. if you like strategy/board games, buy it instantly.... you'll thank me later.

zmcvay

Sep 19, 2014
Twilight Struggle just released on IOS. if you like strategy/board games, buy it instantly.... you'll thank me later.

Was tempted to get the Steam version, it looks good. But unfortunately I got caught up in the Unsung Story fiasco a couple years back, and I can't see myself giving Playdek any more money until they make that situation right.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Was tempted to get the Steam version, it looks good. But unfortunately I got caught up in the Unsung Story fiasco a couple years back, and I can't see myself giving Playdek any more money until they make that situation right.

I hear you. It's hard to pass up arguably the best strategy board game of all time though.

Annorax

Feb 2, 2013

The trigger for me is whether Playdek goes back and finds the time to get Ascension: Dreamscape in there ASAP, and following that up with War of Shadows or whatever the next set after that is called. Playdek screwed over a lot of other games with the time they wasted on Twilight Struggle :/

saspin

Aug 22, 2014
Jeff and everyone that has this for iPad,

I'm on the fence wether to buy this game. Opinions of the game please!

Thank you,

Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts