First Day At Papa 2013

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
559425_433861156705982_1134616833_n_zps51326e2e.jpg.

553149_433861100039321_1539355677_n_zps9ae5a057.jpg

551255_433861173372647_1266333350_n_zps41809cfb.jpg

59776_433861140039317_1684854596_n_zps2ebb237d.jpg

More photos soon.

My first ever Papa. I spent about 3 hours there. It was a great time! The place has a very arcade like atmosphere. Almost like stepping into a time portal back to the 90s.

Met Bowen Kerrins and Mark from Classic game room. I had Them both sign a tshirt I bought.

Got to play both Elvira's, White Water, Adams Family, Twilihht Zone, Xenon, Centaur, Attack from Mars, Dracula, Bride of Pinbot, Star Trek, Terminator 2 just to name a few.

The machines are, as expected, in great condition.y most enjoyed game was absolutely FunHouse. I put up a good 10 million score with no extra balls. Second favorite game was Dracula. Absolutely amazing machine, the lightning flippers are the best flippers I have ever felt on a pinball. It certainly makes for a harder game, but it was just immensely enjoyable.

Star Trek is just as hard in real life as pinball arcade lol. I haven't taken a beating like that in a while.

Dr. Dude is awesome. White Water is also incredibly fun we are all in for a treat next release.

I purposely didnt play many of the machines because I'm going again tomorrow and Sunday. I hope to get signatures from all the A Divisiion finalists. And take a ton more pictures.

Last edited:

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
I plan on going there Saturday, this will also be my first papa event. How many of you plan on attending this? If you plan on being there on Saturday, maybe we can agree to meet there at a certain time and place. I plan on arriving there as soon as it opens and I'll stay until I get bored (not likely to happen, lol). What do you all say?

I'm really looking forward to this event.

Thanks for the photos Mark, keep 'em coming.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Great idea. I'm going tomorrow and Sunday, ill pm you my cell number and if I decide to come Saturday too we can meet up for sure.

Likewise anyone going definitely post up in here.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I went to PAPA last year. Played well over 100 games.

This is Pinburgh 2013, by the way. PAPA 2013 isn't until August.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Decaf? Well I do get excited for stuff like this. the boozing, the caffiening, the cigarette smoking. But brother Munson taught me to change all that.

All these rare machines but I can't stay away from Attack, Dracula, Elvira, Bride, and Cirqus Voiltaire.

Sunday I want to try Safe Cracker, Jack Bot, T2, Family Guy, some older SS and EMs... But ill probably end up spending all my money on Cirqus again ;-)

If there's any requests for pictures or video from a specific machine, just ask. I didn't play as much as I'd liked, we were there for 14 hours but I kept getting distracted talking and hanging out with people.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I'm cheering for TPA player Roy Wils; also Cayle George 'cause I like his commentary and he's from Seattle :), and Andrei Massenkoff because I really like his free-flowing style of play.

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
I just got back from the event and all I can say is that I had a great time and I wish I could go back there tomorrow. I'll upload some of the photos I took to give you a general perspective of this 30,000 sq/ft facility with 400+ pins. (Half are reserved for tournament matches only).

Message to Farsight, You MUST add Challenger to TPA with online multiplayer support. Challenger is a head-to-head 2-player pinball that is fun to play with a buddy. I'll upload that photo soon.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
T2 is an incredibly fun game and so worth kick starting.

Family Guy also.

Photos tomorrow. My body's sore from all my new centaur tattoos.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
If you guys wanna see more pictures, add me to facebook, and add my friend Christian.

Around 11:30 Sunday night they turned out the lights. I forgot just how awesome Pinball was in the dark. Man that really took me back.

I walked around and observed a lot of tables but didn't play them for very long. Some of those include Safecracker, Getaway, BK2000, Bad Cats, Big Guns to name a few. I'm just a sucker for all pinballs, really, each has such a unique charm and style to it. Bad Cats in particular, just, what the hell it's about I don't know and I didn't get to play it because it was down, but for some reason I really, really want this on Pin-arcade. It's about... cat's and house wives? I don't know, but it's awesome.

Safecracker is... for lack of a better word... adorable. BK2000, T2, Getaway... Steve Richie's style is really growing on me and these all have such a good feel that's hard to explain. Yes, "Flow", but it's something else... his shots just feel 'right'. Whereas on something like Attack from Mars, the shots don't feel as natural. With that said I played more Attack than anything else there, just because I knew the table so well and found it challenging, but the amount of bricks off targets I would get is just something I didn't experience on say, T2.

T2 was kind of pissing me off. I got a 3X jackpot worth... 15 million? What was I doing wrong I wonder? On the papa film I watched, guys were getting 50mil for a 3x? But something bout that table is just so right. Again, it's the shots they feel so damn natural and perfect. Likewise with Star Trek NG. As hard as the TPA version? Absolutely. And the giant sling shots didn't bother me at all on a real one, and the flippers are the right size (something that for some reason feels off on TPA version, at least on iPhone).

At the end of the day, I couldn't get away from games I knew how to play and how to play well. I played mostly Medieval Madness, Cirqus Voiltaire, Attack from Mars, Twilight Zone, Theatre of Magic, and Dracula. Theatre I can say was probably my favorite, with Cirqus a very close second. You know from a game play standpoint TPA get's both of these very close. Sort out the bugs in Cirqus and it'll be a very close version.

Fathom was great. Centaur was great. Xenon was great. I am wondering how they are going to get the slow ball movement, and the chunky, slow, slappy but fun and awesome flippers of these down on TPA.

What else to say... oh I played a mint, and I do mean, mint like looks like it came out of a freaking Williams factory Dr. Dude. Their F-14 Tomcat was also in this good of condition. It's amazing, really, to see tables 20-30 years old in this type of condition, and play them, especially without gawdy mods or untasteful led's, or way over-clear coated playfields. Looking the way they were meant to, playing the way they were meant to. It's really a thing of beauty.

If I could make one suggestion to Papa. Ok 2. First is, move the facility! It's next to that damn river! What happens if it floods again? We can't lose these machines they don't exactly grow on trees! Second suggestion. Open year round on the weekends!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts