"First" impressions

JJH516

Banned
Jun 4, 2014
FS did a fantastic job with TAF. Ever since TPA is released, I wondered how would it play if the table gets ever released, since it has an complex and very unique game flow. I must say I'm astonished on how good they did that job! This is the table I played the most in my youth, and it was (and still is) my favorite pinball machine of all time.

Thing Flips working just like in RL, after some time when it learns to play. Amazing, this was one of the features i doubted they'll ever get simulated right.

Haven't discovered any major bugs by now, ok the sounds on bonus can sometimes be a little out-of-sync, but i don't find that annoying.

The only thing I think it's not simulated 100% right is a manual shot with upper left flipper to the graveyard. It's a little too easy compared to the RL, I can remember this being very hard to do on a real machine 1/10, maybe even less. Here you can easily score 5-6/10.

My conclusion is, far better than expected, I personally think it can't get better than this in a videogame. In my opinion the best simulated table in TPA so far, at least from those I've played in RL.

Thank you again FS, you made this man feel like a kid again!

Nice review.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Banged out a test run today on gold mode. I don't think the strategy or gameplay differs that much, so here's my initial impressions. Shots seem a bit too easy overall everywhere. Extra balls are too easy to farm. Sounds and art seem pretty good overall, nothing to complain about there for me. Solid table overall although sadly it has the TZ syndrome where games will just drag on way past where they should be.

The thing flip seems a little wobbly, but I'm sure it's supposed to be. It behaved itself for the first hour or so of the test game, but then started just draining my balls nonstop so I started timing it out to make sure I had control on the ramp exit. I assume it'd get more accurate over time if the ROM state saved, but I'm assuming it can't remember stuff past the current session.

e: Oh yeah the magnets seem a little too strong. They just stop the ball as if it hit a wall and then fling it wherever even on really strong shots off the flipper.

Last edited:

DoX

May 3, 2013
Banged out a test run today on gold mode. I don't think the strategy or gameplay differs that much, so here's my initial impressions. Shots seem a bit too easy overall everywhere. Extra balls are too easy to farm. Sounds and art seem pretty good overall, nothing to complain about there for me. Solid table overall although sadly it has the TZ syndrome where games will just drag on way past where they should be.

The thing flip seems a little wobbly, but I'm sure it's supposed to be. It behaved itself for the first hour or so of the test game, but then started just draining my balls nonstop so I started timing it out to make sure I had control on the ramp exit. I assume it'd get more accurate over time if the ROM state saved, but I'm assuming it can't remember stuff past the current session.

e: Oh yeah the magnets seem a little too strong. They just stop the ball as if it hit a wall and then fling it wherever even on really strong shots off the flipper.

TAF is a table made so everyone can play, from beginner to an expert, that's why it may seem easy to you at first. But believe me, there are things that require some skills. TZ, on the other hand, is far more difficult in terms of a basic play, so i wouldn't recommend it for beginners on the real machine. TZ on TPA is a bit easyer though, I would say slower and more forgiving.

Thing Flips drains your balls? Never happened to me by now, and I can't remember this ever happened on the real machine. Remember, "Thing Flips" feature is when it shoots automatically, not when you shoot manually. As for it's learning ability I think it learns until you exit the table, playing more games without exiting the table improves his ability significantly.

And yes, those magnets are actually pretty strong IRL, though it never happened to me they stop the ball like it had hit a wall. Anyway, they are best avoided as they just love to drain your ball :)

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
There are no pics or videos anywhere of the TAF Gold Edition.
Why??? It's a secret I guess.....hmm???
Have the people who paid for the Gold KS goal even received it already? If someone owns it here, they're probably hiding it.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
And PC version. Not really secret, it's just the same table with a couple items a different color.

2015-02-27_00001.jpg~original

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Gameplay has some differences though: http://pinball.org/rules/addamsfamilygold.html
Not a big difference in my opinion although scoring is somewhat easier because of (random) higher jackpots and some small bonus things. Cousin It's hideout rewards can potentially be very nice, upward to an extra ball, but haven't seen one yet, and getting a reward also varies in frequency.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Gameplay has some differences though: http://pinball.org/rules/addamsfamilygold.html
Not a big difference in my opinion although scoring is somewhat easier because of (random) higher jackpots and some small bonus things. Cousin It's hideout rewards can potentially be very nice, upward to an extra ball, but haven't seen one yet, and getting a reward also varies in frequency.

I've had a couple of EBs (Golden Pinball).

All the "extra" stuff feels tacked on though... the animations just don't fit in quite right.

One nice thing is that the scoreboard can handle 10-digit scores correctly, so you can see the billions digit :D

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
One interesting thing I found on the internet: apparently there are two versions of TAF gold. One is essentially a faux version. When the first production run ended and there seemed to be more demand, the next batch of regular TAF was produced with exterior gold accents, but was in every other aspect the same as the regular TAF (so no gold colored plastics for example). The real Collector's Edition TAF Gold was made later and featured gold colored plastics, bookcase disc, bumpers and ramp. These also featured the special TAF gold ROM with slightly different rules. A 1000 were made and individually numbered with plaques. So buyers of the real thing beware!

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
One interesting thing I found on the internet: apparently there are two versions of TAF gold. One is essentially a faux version. When the first production run ended and there seemed to be more demand, the next batch of regular TAF was produced with exterior gold accents, but was in every other aspect the same as the regular TAF (so no gold colored plastics for example). The real Collector's Edition TAF Gold was made later and featured gold colored plastics, bookcase disc, bumpers and ramp. These also featured the special TAF gold ROM with slightly different rules. A 1000 were made and individually numbered with plaques. So buyers of the real thing beware!

Because there's no difference in the actual playfield, you can plug a SCE ROM into a regular TAF and it'll work just fine.

This is indeed what FS bought.

Of course getting hold of regular ROMs isn't difficult, I'm sure copies have been made and there will be ROMs ripped from dead tables over the years.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
On second thought I'm just going to move this to the bug thread instead, since it's slightly more relevant there, sorry!

Last edited:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah. people have been upgrading their normal TAF by hand to TAFG ROMs. this is known as Addams Family Pyrite. :)

In my opinion, it's a bit more fun, but also more unfair, because of the new 3M room mechanics and the random items from cousin it's hideout.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
no ball save is needed, because there are two ways to guarantee a ball gets to a flipper. House balls are only possible on a plunge into the bumpers. The first ball saver at the start of every ball (as far as I know) was in T2, to combat the fact that a ball could drain SDTM after the skillshot, rebounding off the standups, into the other standups, and down the middle. it would very rarely do it more than once in a row, hence the ballsaver. Pinbot, on the other hand could really have used a ball saver, because the jets area is impossible to avoid by any means.

Way before then, F-14 Tomcat had a ball saver on the yagov kicker because it caused balls to jump the flippers sometimes. this ball saver is very exploitable, because it unlights the bonusx, letting you relight the bonusx extra ball again, and a large part of why extra balls are always disabled in tournaments. It also had a pity ball saver on ball three. This is better then a pity extra ball because you only get it if you need it, and if ball three is good, you don't take advantage of it. It allowed noobs to play longer, without lengthening the game of an expert. You know, F-14 Tomcat was way ahead of it's time. It deserves a spot in TPA. Ball saver? Guarantee that every plunged ball gets to a flipper? More than 3 ball multiball? Only thing it's missing is the autoplunger.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.