First Tournament

Where to begin? When to begin? How to begin?

I began with one of the only places in the Northeast Ohio that has a decent amount of tables available. Just an ordinary Saturday weekend, and it all started with five bucks. Five bucks might seem much for me to play two games, but at least it will mean much for the charity it was participating.

Before the five bucks, I arrived at Berea, Ohio, home of Kidforce Collectibles. A regular comic book, games shop; just recently relocated to a bigger building, but this also house more than ten pinball machines. Most of the machines are during the 1990's DMD to Modern Stern with the newest being Metallica. These were the following tables:

Main Room
Elviras Scared Stiff
Congo
Bram Strokers Dracula
Monster Bash
Tron Legacy
X-Men
and Star Trek The Next Generation

Back Room
Guns N Roses
White Water
World Cup Soccer '94
The Addams Family (with Color DMD)
Spider-Man
and Metallica

Basement
Roadshow
and Demolition Man

I arrived before the championship started, 2:00PM EST. which allowed people competing or not to play the tables. I started with White Water (first time playing the real table) seeing how not many people were playing that one. Much like my play through with this game on The Pinball Arcade, I was not so great with the real one. Wanted to try my hands on Scared Stiff first, but I figure it was going to be a popular one along with others, but I managed to squeeze in for a few sessions (and a first to play the real one today). Sadly I did not play as decently from the TPA counterpart, but that is to be expected with real world chaos. Still a pleasure to play it, I did moved on to other tables like one of the few favorite Stern tables, Tron Legacy, and the Star Trek The Next Generation table (also a first time playing the real table).

It was time to check out the open tournament, and this took place down stairs in the basement section of the store. Down here, there was two machines: Roadshow and Demolition Man; two tables I have no idea how to play with the ruleset, but my 'amateur' tournament self beckoned me to learn how this tournament works. For $5.00USD, I am given two game attempts (though you have to pay for the play sessions as well) to get the highest score you can, but you have to at least play the two tables presented. Took me a while, but I decided to give in, and finally gave myself an IFPA (International Flipper Pinball Association) standing; even though, it is at the bottom of a full well. I wanted to start, and I did as I want to put myself in the tournament scene for the first time.

My first attempts at the two felt almost embarrassing, till I realized where I placed. It was, not last to say the least, which felt gratifying. I was never expecting to be in the top four (the finalist cut), let alone one, but I did not mind. I did went back upstairs where the main tournament was at full swing to watch, pondering if I wanted to give another try (well two tries). Noticing I had some extra money on hand, I gave in and went backstairs. As I went back down stairs, people were watching this player on Demolition Man, and to say "OWNED" that table would best described it. I still decided to give myself two new tries, and I did better on Roadshow, but I wish I could say the same with Demolition Man. I felt like I was a complete newbie with my second Demolition Man attempt; that was embarrassing, but not in a traumatic manner mind you.

I did wanted to stay longer to watch the rest of the tournament unfold, but with the competition still going for the IFPA championship there was not much to do besides stand and 'watch'. Being in eighth place out of sixteen (at the time I left), I left the shop and headed back home. Well, first to Mr. Heroes then back home.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts