flipperless

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
Would you like to see a flipperless game in TPA?

Maybe just 1 a season? There are many flipperless games for Visual Pinball.

Zippy

Feb 26, 2014
No. I have a pachinko machine in my basement, but it's really more of a conversation piece. I don't sit there and play it.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
The thing is the 'opportunity cost'.

How long would it take to make a bagatelle game? Without knowing a lot more about their processes, impossible to guess. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was several orders of magnitude quicker than a pinball table, because it's simple and generic.

So it probably isn't a question of a bagatelle game or a pinball table, but a pinball table or both. I'll take both - it's an important part of pinball history, after all.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
How about you just launch the ball on a table we already have and don't activate the flippers. You now have a flipper-less table.
All 45 of them. ;)

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Flippless are cool but they are not commercially viable. Funny enough, I think if farsight were to throw one in as a bonus, for free, some would play it, like it and appreciate it but many would probably complain "you worked on this instead of fixing x issue?!?"

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
How about you just launch the ball on a table we already have and don't activate the flippers. You now have a flipper-less table.
All 45 of them. ;)

A lot of the games would never end as a ball launched that doesn't score any points goes straight back into the trough. White Water, I think, for example, would be impossible to end a game, unless you can somehow nudge the ball into the slingshot or something.

mikehg

Feb 5, 2014
Flippless are cool but they are not commercially viable. Funny enough, I think if farsight were to throw one in as a bonus, for free, some would play it, like it and appreciate it but many would probably complain "you worked on this instead of fixing x issue?!?"

Then you explain to them that it isn't a zero-sum thing :)

A significant part of the appeal of TPA is the variety of tables. There are loads of games with modern tables (admittedly few of this standard, especially modelling real tables, but nevertheless...), and few to no others where you get to play the different styles from different eras, and see the way pinball has evolved.

Capitalising on that strength can bring in more players, which means more revenue, and hopefully more bugfixes.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I'd like to see a pachinko collection myself. I find something quite satisfying about video pachinko games, but you'd need to have virtual toys to trade in your winnings for or it would be like gambling ;-)

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The thing is the 'opportunity cost'.

How long would it take to make a bagatelle game? Without knowing a lot more about their processes, impossible to guess. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was several orders of magnitude quicker than a pinball table, because it's simple and generic.

So it probably isn't a question of a bagatelle game or a pinball table, but a pinball table or both. I'll take both - it's an important part of pinball history, after all.

Honestly, I think pachinko would be better represented by a different physics engine. Probably somewhere that the unity engine would really shine since it's a physics first everything else after type deal.

Then you explain to them that it isn't a zero-sum thing :)

A significant part of the appeal of TPA is the variety of tables. There are loads of games with modern tables (admittedly few of this standard, especially modelling real tables, but nevertheless...), and few to no others where you get to play the different styles from different eras, and see the way pinball has evolved.

Capitalising on that strength can bring in more players, which means more revenue, and hopefully more bugfixes.

Expecting those folks to understand what zero - sum means is asking a lot.

I find a lot of people seem to think that any table they don't like is going to flop in sales.

hawk

Mar 1, 2014
I don't think it would have any negative impact on sales. Quite positive although not much difference.

As mentioned above flipperless games are an important part of pinball history.

Don't forget the goal is to preserve the history of pinball, isn't it?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm not a big fan of flipperless pins. I feel like a bystander playing them.
They are all about nudging and that can be difficult depending on the platform you are playing on.

I'd settle for some EMs from the 1970's.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Yeah, flipperless games make very bad digital pinball. Either it's too exploitable, or too hard to get anything going on them. There's NO inbetween.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts