For the future? Really?

leannaray

Sep 21, 2014
As you know, one of the main goals of Farsight is "the sole purpose of preserving a collection of pinball machines for future generations, so that our children and our children's children know what it was like to play pinball!" To me, this is a noble motive indeed! I think we all endorse that, don't we?

But personally, I think that if we want them to know what it was really like, then we should have at least one season of the best electro-mechanicals! I don't see how our children's children could imagine what it was like if there are only two electro-mechanical tables (Big Shot and Central Park)

Leanna

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Lofty indeed, but it should be amended by: "the sole purpose of preserving a collection of pinball machines for future generations, so that our children and our children's children know what it was like to play pinball! But only if we can sell them with enough profit to keep doing this". I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, it's just a sound business model because people don't buy those EM's. I concur though, it would be very interesting to have more EM's in the line-up, and those should be the top pins of those era's (Big Shot isn't really).
Although they should or could be released as single tables I personally wouldn't mind if they would package those EM's with popular DMD pins as they did in season 1. Even with a slightly higher price point. For the connaisseur it would be great to have those EM's, other people get two pins for what feels like the price of one. And this is just the way how I got more into EM's than before, it's TPA that made me appreciate them more.

Last edited:

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
As you know, one of the main goals of Farsight is "the sole purpose of preserving a collection of pinball machines for future generations, so that our children and our children's children know what it was like to play pinball!" To me, this is a noble motive indeed! I think we all endorse that, don't we?

But personally, I think that if we want them to know what it was really like, then we should have at least one season of the best electro-mechanicals! I don't see how our children's children could imagine what it was like if there are only two electro-mechanical tables (Big Shot and Central Park)

Leanna

I like this idea. Far fetched but fun. What 10 tables would your ideal EM season consist of?

night

May 18, 2012
I don't think any future generation will be playing TPA. I can think of a million games released in the past that are collecting dust in our memories. (I don't see myself playing this on my iPad in 10 years from now..) We probably have something way more advanced and realistic in the near future. That been said, I am going to play some Donkey Kong on my Atari.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
I can think of a million games released in the past that are collecting dust in our memories. (I don't see myself playing this on my iPad in 10 years from now..)

Ya know, MAME is 20 years old now and it's still played plenty...

invitro

May 4, 2012
Ya know, MAME is 20 years old now and it's still played plenty...
MAME is open source (and much easier to develop than PinMAME).

Certainly some pinball simulator will be played in 20 years. The questions are...
- Will it be commercial or not?
- Will it be a Farsight product or some other company's?
- Will it have supported leaderboards?
- Will it have physics & production quality as good as TPA's? Physics as good as Pro Pinball's? Or better?
- Will it be viewed on full-size screens, tablet screens, phone screens, watch screens, microscopic screens, glasses, or something else?
- Will it have non-actual tables?
- etc., etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts