Friend Leaderboards

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I know it's been said about all the platforms being the same, but someone mentioned in another thread that the slings on the PS4 version seemed a lot more powerful than on other platforms. For my own curiosity's sake, I might see if I can run a test or two to compare. Not unlike Roger Sharpe's courtroom thingy!

Brock

Jan 28, 2014
Broken friends leaderboards

So.. Is this something that's likely to be fixed soon?
I was so excited when friends boards were implemented, then so disappointed when it became clear they didn't work. It seems to be such an important feature for the game that I can't believe Farsight wouldn't make this a priority but I haven't heard anything regarding a fix in the works?

Imagine the revenue that would be generated if players could gift a Steam Friend a table they had just racked up a big score on. 'Beat that bro!'. Such a shame that this scenario is impossible at the moment.

Edit: Sorry this should probably be in the PC forum.

Last edited:

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I'd like to get an answer to this too, but no point making identical threads. Any chance a mod could move this to the PC section?

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I'd like an answer too. Struggling to keep my interest in TPA at the moment, friends leaderboard competition would help a lot.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
and collision geometry LOD is same on all platforms too?
and if some one play on 60 FPS and another one on 30 FPS - when ball going fast how many times (and mean more correct) collisions with objects will be registered in first case and second case.
thanks for your attention.

Collisions meshes are same on all platforms. There is no LODs for collisions (only visible meshes). When a device runs at 30fps, the physics update is run twice per frame, so it still runs the same physics. Someone playing at 30fps is at a disadvantage cause the visuals are updated less, so it's harder to keep track of the ball. For example, if a ball is moving 6 inches per second. On a 60fps machine you will see it move 1/10th of an inch every frame. On a 30fps machine it will move 2/10ths of an inch. Over a 1 second period the ball will move the same distance, but the visuals will appear more choppy. This is easier to see when the ball is moving really fast.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

So.. Is this something that's likely to be fixed soon?
I was so excited when friends boards were implemented, then so disappointed when it became clear they didn't work. It seems to be such an important feature for the game that I can't believe Farsight wouldn't make this a priority but I haven't heard anything regarding a fix in the works?

Imagine the revenue that would be generated if players could gift a Steam Friend a table they had just racked up a big score on. 'Beat that bro!'. Such a shame that this scenario is impossible at the moment.

Edit: Sorry this should probably be in the PC forum.

I looked into the issues a little today, but am having trouble finding the problem. I'm going to spend more time in the up coming weeks to find a solution.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
For those having issues with friends leaderboards. Could you let me know about how many steam friends you have? Wondering if it has something to do with having a larger number of friends.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
thanks Mike. When I first tested it with 3 friends it worked fine. As soon as I added another 4-5 friends everything was broken. I wondered whether it was related to users security permissions within Steam? I sometimes get different results depending on what table is currently loaded before looking at the leader boards.

invitro

May 4, 2012
29 steam friends here. At most 7 of them showed up on friend leaderboards when it was working (on most tables).

I went through all the tables... I see a friend leaderboard for AFM, CC, HH, CBW, BK2K, SpSh, and TZ (with 5-9 people on these), and "None" for all other tables.

Good luck finding/fixing the problem.

vpalmer

Aug 18, 2013
when friends leaderboards released i had only about 3 friends on my steam list playing TPA now i have 34 friends playing TPA, but problems with friends leader boards were the same at the begining and now.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
161 friends here. It's been roughly the same since the release of the friends leaderboard and it hasn't worked properly at any point during that.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I think next week when I get a bit of free time, I may put out a build with some text logging in that will print out whats going on with the friend query, that way maybe I can figure out where it's failing.

Deathtank

Nov 13, 2013
its strange, after some time of the leaderboards working fine, now most of the scores from friends list just disappeared.
Except for some tables, the rest just vanished. :(

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Haven't found the issue yet. I'll probably have to do some tests with the beta users with some special builds to figure out what's going on.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Updating since behaviour changed a bit since last patch. I can now see all friends and their scores on some tables. On some tables it still shows none for friends, and I still can't ever see my own score in the friend section even if the others are visible. However, the leaderboards seem a lot more fragile for the status of the game now and if I try to scroll through a few tables in leaderboards the process inevitably crashes. I tried about 5-6 times and it always happened after a bit. If I don't go into leaderboards the game seems to behave normally.

Not going to bother filing a proper bug report in the bug thread since I can't pin down any specifics besides "Leaderboards seem to crash the game."

I did actually have leaderboard crashes in the game before too but it was much rarer.

Brock

Jan 28, 2014
That's strange, because I also now see what looks like a complete list of friends on some tables, and my own score IS included.
Whatever you've done is a step closer Mike!
I also had the game freeze while scrolling through leaderboards though, not good :/

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts