Funhouse skill shot

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The reason I think is because the PS2/3 controller is not sensitive enough to do the shot properly, since the difference between a hit and a miss is like a millimeter or so difference in the analog joystick angle.

Nah, this is something FarSight can do on their end. BoP was just as bad until this last patch. When FH was first released, I had no problem hitting the shot then. Something happened in the interim, and now we have a near impossible shot that is the first standard goal! The analog stick is plenty sensitive, cause in Zen there are some skill shots (like in Ghost Rider) that you can set up and hit every time if you launch at a precise point.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
I've noticed this too, sometimes the ball will go left into the jet bumpers instead of following the path upwards. Sometimes the ball seems to rapidly shake left to right as it goes up the launcher lane.

this only happens when you've pulled the plunger one pixel too far. there is a perfect spot to hit the skill shot every time, and if you're off by one pixel, the ball gets jammed up in the bumpers on its way up. (on the IOS anyway, can't vouch for consoles)

Fritti

Jul 27, 2012
This is definitely a bug. The same location barely reaches the end of the plunger lane one time, and happily flashes by the upper left flipper the next. Spending time on a skillshot goal to unlock the wizard goals is Not Fun (TM).

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
As far as fixing it, this is very simple! Add some sort of power meter on the screen. Maybe something like the graphic representation for pitching in baseball video games, or kicking in football (handegg) games.

This actually exists on the table itself. I haven't played the PS3 version, but on Android and XBox you can select a plunger-cam position that looks straight down on the plunger. From that vantage point, there are visible markings at the bottom of the plunger lane that you can use to plunge fairly reproducibly. I've gotten much better at the Funhouse and Taxi skill shots since I realized that.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
This actually exists on the table itself. I haven't played the PS3 version, but on Android and XBox you can select a plunger-cam position that looks straight down on the plunger. From that vantage point, there are visible markings at the bottom of the plunger lane that you can use to plunge fairly reproducibly. I've gotten much better at the Funhouse and Taxi skill shots since I realized that.
The PS3 version has the same plunger cam. The problem is that the results from the plunger shots are not consistent - the same pull can result in a shot that barely leaves the launch area or blasts all the way around.

Tabe

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
The PS3 version has the same plunger cam. The problem is that the results from the plunger shots are not consistent - the same pull can result in a shot that barely leaves the launch area or blasts all the way around.

Tabe

Exactly. I was using that cam, and going to the same mark every time. If I went a millimeter less, it'd not make it up and around, if I went right on the mark, it'd go too far. There was literally no sweat spot. And yes, it was hardly consistent, as some times it'd be wildly over strong or extra weak, using the same marks.

2 weeks ago I played a Funhouse for real. My second and third plunge I nailed the skill shot, that's how easy it should be.

QuiGonJ

Jan 27, 2013
I was just complaining about this on the Android thread. I know the real game quite well, and the physics on this table need help. The ball is too light and too fast compared to the real deal.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Also, the plunger, at least on Funhouse, doesn't even pull back all the way, limiting your range of options.

Is this a bug? You can't pull back the plunger totally, only one quarter of its length (3 or 4 little arrows, drawn on each side of the plunger)
It's weird (in PHoF, no such problem), and it makes skill shot too hard.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.