General Illumination

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
The planets and other space junk on the carpet are a great indicator for plunging on certain plunger cam modes. The wood floor would ruin my dirty little trick!

I thought the carpet physics were a little off.

I stand on real carpets almost every day, and let me tell you, Farsight completely botched the true carpet feeling, it's nothing like real life. 1 star rating on the app store until this is fixed!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bonch

May 24, 2012
Any timescales as to when the 360 update is going to drop?
I much prefer the lighting on the iOS version, its just more playable when you can actually see whats going on...

iPad

Never thought I'd see people complain that the console versions don't look like the iOS version rather than vice versa.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Never thought I'd see people complain that the console versions don't look like the iOS version rather than vice versa.

I think I know what Wadey's referring to... I agree the tables look much sharper, more detailed, more textures and such on the console. But the 360 right out of the bag had inferior lighting to the PS3 version that was to be implemented with the updates. It's also got extreme overly-bright lights on the tables that kind of wash out any table detail when they are lit. In this case it's not the ambient lighting, it's the lights on the table that ruin the presentation.

PinHead4Life

Jun 22, 2012
Wow, the iOS screen shot here puts the 360 version to shame! So, the obvious differences in the two pics is caused 100% by lighting?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think I know what Wadey's referring to... I agree the tables look much sharper, more detailed, more textures and such on the console. But the 360 right out of the bag had inferior lighting to the PS3 version that was to be implemented with the updates. It's also got extreme overly-bright lights on the tables that kind of wash out any table detail when they are lit. In this case it's not the ambient lighting, it's the lights on the table that ruin the presentation.

My brother had never played TPA before. I showed him the 360 version first, then the PS3 version and he couldn't believe how much better the PS3 version looked. He's going to college for coding, and he thought it was really weird when I told him that the 360 was their main platform for development. It is a bit of a head scratcher for sure.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
My brother had never played TPA before. I showed him the 360 version first, then the PS3 version and he couldn't believe how much better the PS3 version looked. He's going to college for coding, and he thought it was really weird when I told him that the 360 was their main platform for development. It is a bit of a head scratcher for sure.
If we could see the game on the actual 360 that FarSight uses for development, it would look a lot better. Remember, we're locked out of 3 months' worth of improvements until Microsoft gets off its arse and approves the updates and DLC.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

Mike said his main platform of development was the 360, not the entire company's.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

Not really a fair comparison on these pictures. The I-Pad version is a screen capture, while the 360 one consists of someone photographing their tv screen.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
If we could see the game on the actual 360 that FarSight uses for development, it would look a lot better. Remember, we're locked out of 3 months' worth of improvements until Microsoft gets off its arse and approves the updates and DLC.

Yes, but even with the initial releases, the PS3 lighting was way better off the bat.....I realize that art is separate from other development though....But it's still kind of a head scratcher, either way...

Mike said his main platform of development was the 360, not the entire company's.

Yeah, but it sounds like the development Mike takes care of applies to all other platforms as well. Here's one of his quotes:

"The camera angles, plunger pull distance, new DMD will all be in the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions. 99% of all the features and all the new tables are implemented on Xbox 360 first as it's my main platform of development."

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...nts-also-be-includ?p=7396&viewfull=1#post7396

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
The initial PS3 was released a month (or 2?) after the 360, that would explain why the ps3version would better looking, even if 360 is leading.

And yea, thats the quote I was looking for, indeed it looks like gameplay/enginewise the 360 is leading and every other version is optimized afterwards (and the lightning on ps3 was part of that optimization).

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The initial PS3 was released a month (or 2?) after the 360, that would explain why the ps3version would better looking, even if 360 is leading.

And yea, thats the quote I was looking for, indeed it looks like gameplay/enginewise the 360 is leading and every other version is optimized afterwards (and the lightning on ps3 was part of that optimization).

The PS3 version was only released 6 days after the 360:

Xbox 360 : Released on 04/04/12

PS3 : Released on 04/10/12 (NA)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I develop all the tables on Xbox first. Then they get ported to the other tables.

Because the graphics processor on PS3 is different than Xbox, it uses a different method for doing post processing. The Xbox version was submitted with the lighting blown out, before the PS3 versions lighting was done. After PS3 was done, we found better ways to do lighting on Xbox, but the game was already submitted and in the approval process from Microsoft.

The lighting is much better once the title update (and optional downloadable update) come out. Hopefully soon.

Features and gameplay are shared between Xbox and PS3. Lighting is separated cause they GPUs are different.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Mike's post there should be spammed each time people complain 360 is being treated by FS as the console with the least priority.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I didn't want to sound like I was complaining. This topic was just fresh on my mind since I was trying to explain to my brother how the 360 could look inferior despite being the lead development platform, so thank you for shedding some more light on it....and speaking of light: I can't wait to see the new 360 lighting. :)

PinHead4Life

Jun 22, 2012
What is the "optional downloadable update" that Mike mentioned? I thought I found a post about that a while back, but I cannot find it now.

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Mike's post there should be spammed each time people complain 360 is being treated by FS as the console with the least priority.

Yeah, especially in the light of posts like "Farsight only cares about iOS/Android and wants the other ports to wither and die" I've seen here.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts