Bug Geometry bugs

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
The geometry bugs where the ball flies off the table at random spots, or in some cases predetermined spots, are still present on most tables. My personal guess is that in most cases this has something to do with the ball going so fast it exits the geometry between physics frame calculations, or something similar. There are also a few specific situations where the table loses track of a ball in strictly defined areas of the table, or situations (RBION, BH), but those are most likely different issues with the same outcome. I base this assumption on the bugs mostly happening on faster tables. I've yet to see it happening on any EM table. This would be a relatively minor issue if it happening didn't actually completely bug out the game, causing it to become unfinishable. I'm going to try and attempt to explain why I don't understand the way things work currently as far as recovering the game goes:

Situation #1: The ball goes somewhere on the table it isn't supposed to, like between the glass and the top of a slingshot. Or on top of a rail instead of in it. You hit call attendant. The game finds the ball and says yeah it's stuck; resetting.

Situation #2: The ball exits the geometry of the table. You hit call attendant. The game doesn't find the ball inside the geometry so nothing happens, and your game is buggered for good.

My question is this: Why are these two situations not treated identically?
If the game thinks there's a ball in play, and it can't find a ball in play, there isn't a ball in play. Make the damn attendant reset it. As far as I am aware there's no way to exploit this in any way or form. If there somehow is a way to exploit it, the least Farsight can do is consider it a ball drain and plunge the next one, so the game has a chance to finish. I'm sure Farsight is trying to fix the geometry bugs happening in general, but making the attendant actually continue the game if it doesn't find a ball is an incredibly easy short term fix to at least allow people to get through the game and post scores.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The way that Mike explains it was that they don't want to put the table in an unstable state by artificially putting the ball someplace that would be impossible based on the current state of the table.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
The thing is though, most of the geometry bugs don't involve locks. The ball just vanishes from play. In some cases yes, locks bug out too; rarely on black knight, and quite often on black hole, but those are individual incidents. Clocking some surface hard and the ball just vanishing is much more common overall.

You're not understanding. The game can't remove the ball that you're thinking of because it can't read your mind. It would remove all balls and put them in the trough. It might not be the ball you had in the lock that disappeared but now all balls have been removed and put in the trough. Problem is the ROM thinks there is a ball in the lock but there isn't.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts