High Speed impressions

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
It's boring and I have all standard goals and now 4 Wizard Goals in just a few plays. It's the easiest table I have ever played and I'am tired of it already. Bad choice in our collection and the center artwork reminds me of a ((View-Master Disc)) from back in the day. Oh well you can't love them all. Better luck next month with Junk Yard. "The Getaway" sequel is way better than High Speed in my opinion I just played it at the (Texas Pinball Festival) a couple of weeks ago and "Junk Yard" was a blast but "High Speed" had a broken left flipper at the show it was never fixed over the course of the weekend show. I never played a real "High Speed" table in life I see it's no big deal from my IOS experience. It's just too easy to score I don't see what the hype is on this table. "Diner" was a fun table at the show so hopefully we get this in our Season 3 collection later this year.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
You know everything there is too know about High Speed. I think you should send Farsight an email about any any issues with this game.They will listen to you especially when you own the real game.
Heh, thanks! I know a compliment when I see one ;) Thing is though, it's such an intricate thing to try and pinpoint, I don't know how easy it would be for them to fix (or even if the problem exists across all platforms). I'm playing mostly on the PC version and something about the physics of the upper part of the table seems to change. Sometimes the upper flipper feels overpowered, other times it's perfect. Sometimes when I full plunge the ball will go around the upper ramp super quickly, other times the ball will barely make it (or not make it at all).

I'm curious to see if anyone else experiences this, whether it's on PC or other platforms. To be honest, it's doing my head in a little.

Does suck that the current top score for it is around 70mil though. In reality, even on a table that's shallow and is easy to hit shots on, it wouldn't be easy to get close to 10mil.

It's boring and I have all standard goals and now 4 Wizard Goals in just a few plays. It's the easiest table I have ever played and I'am tired of it already. Bad choice in our collection and the center artwork reminds me of a View-master Disc form back in the day. Oh well you can't love them all. Better luck next month with Junk Yard. "The Getaway" sequel is way better than High Speed in my opinion I just played it at the Texas Pinball Festival a couple of weeks ago and "Junk Yard" was a blast but High Speed had a broken left flipper at the show it was never fixed over the course of the weekend show. I never played a real High Speed table in life I see it's no big deal.
That High Speed at TPF was heartbreaking to see. Was just not in good condition at all, and I suspect the owner only brought it there so Ritchie could sign the backglass.

For those finding it overly easy (as in, unrealistically so)... what platform are you playing it on?

Last edited:

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
It's boring and I have all standard goals and now 4 Wizard Goals in just a few plays. It's the easiest table I have ever played and I'am tired of it already. Bad choice in our collection and the center artwork reminds me of a View-master Disc form back in the day. Oh well you can't love them all. Better luck next month with Junk Yard. "The Getaway" sequel is way better than High Speed in my opinion I just played it at the Texas Pinball Festival a couple of weeks ago and "Junk Yard" was a blast but High Speed had a broken left flipper at the show it was never fixed over the course of the weekend show. I never played a real High Speed table in life I see it's no big deal.

Well we can't love them all. Some games in TPA I have no interest in playing but most I find enjoyable. Looking forward to Junkyard aswell
Also High Speed on the PC is so much better than on IOS

Last edited:
N

netizen

Sometimes when I full plunge the ball will go around the upper ramp super quickly, other times the ball will barely make it (or not make it at all).

I'm curious to see if anyone else experiences this, whether it's on PC or other platforms. To be honest, it's doing my head in a little.

I play mostly on Android and was geting my head done in by this last night as well.

The same plunge strength would produce different results ball to ball and player to player. I didn't even know if the ball would be going up the ramp or slamming into a post on the plunge.

Jay

May 19, 2012
I'm very happy with High Speed, my favorite FS table so far. The action is just as insane as the original. I do miss the backbox light; that was a big part of the excitement. But that's a small quibble. I'll be playing this one for a long time.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
it makes me eyes blur hah

some silly buggar gave me a proshesakuki 344 meep meep very fun table i swear officer i onky had a case and the drugs help me concentrate, gonna enjoy this one, ive lost a very close family memeber, its nice to think of something else for a
ittle bit.

too those than frown on the table to sum of it your and eeeeediot go sit in the corner with stimpy. have some taste or eta me rubber muhahaha

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
I play mostly on Android and was geting my head done in by this last night as well.

The same plunge strength would produce different results ball to ball and player to player. I didn't even know if the ball would be going up the ramp or slamming into a post on the plunge.

I find that with my particular setup the plunge and upper flipper strength are pretty darn consistent, but wonder if different hardware and OS/drivers there might be some variances. I usually plunge to the Black Line below the two center Yellow Lines and get up the ramp and onto the left habitrail 95% of the time. For the upper flipper I can usually nail the same shot (up the ramp and to the left habitrail) as long as my timing is correct.

Here's my hardware/ software specs:

Intel i7 4770 (non overclocked)
8 GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX760 2GB
Windows 7 PRO with latest updates
Nvidia Driver 335.23

I am as curious as you are about this bro

Timelord ...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Perhaps if FS somehow was able to make the ramp shot as tricky to do as the one in BK2K, this would put up the challenge people are looking for. For that matter, upping the difficulty in ramp shots might also be the elixir for TZ.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Perhaps if FS somehow was able to make the ramp shot as tricky to do as the one in BK2K, this would put up the challenge people are looking for. For that matter, upping the difficulty in ramp shots might also be the elixir for TZ.

It seems to be much easier on a Droid than on PC, IMHO.

I agree that on any platform I have played it on it is quite a bit easier than on most examples IRL. When I played this IRL we had factory fresh tables and it played almost the same as on PC, but as the play field got dirty and the flipper solenoid got weaker that ramp shot got progressively harder. I personally would npt mind the additional challenge of a harder ramp shot, but that is a double edge sword, again IMHO. If one scrolls down to the bottom of the leader board there are still players not cracking 100K points. I imagine they might be a tad alienated of the table played much harder.

In an an ideal world we might have the option of two levels of playing skills, each with a separate leader board.

What do you think Fungi?

BTW, I still wish I had playing skills like you, bro!

Timelord ...

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks, but I'm nowhere as good as literally hundreds of players on TPA. As far as two play levels, that idea has been bounced around here for ages. I'm actually not a fan of this idea due to the fact that when I walk up to a real machine, I don't get that choice.

But, I am a fan of having an option mirroring real life tournament rules. Turning off extra balls, opening up outlanes, stuff like that. THEN having a tournament level score board.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks, but I'm nowhere as good as literally hundreds of players on TPA. As far as two play levels, that idea has been bounced around here for ages. I'm actually not a fan of this idea due to the fact that when I walk up to a real machine, I don't get that choice.

But, I am a fan of having an option mirroring real life tournament rules. Turning off extra balls, opening up outlanes, stuff like that. THEN having a tournament level score board.
I understand your first statement, and can agree with you but I understand if Farsight chooses to tune the tables easier, that's their choice. I don't exactly understand why they do since they do make the statement that they want to recreate exact copies of tales. Perhaps their example is freshly shopped with a nice clean waxed play field and a fresh flipper solenoid? I do remember the examples I played were in factory fresh condition when installed at location. This location was two miles from Williams and was a known location for play testing (Old name was "2 and 6 Pence", new name is "Big Joes" at Foster and Honore in Chicago) . I'm pretty sure these were "sample" machines, not production machines as well (as per my Podcast #6 story). They played very close to the PC version IIRC, but hey that was 30 years ago and I may be remembering things a bit fuzzy, LOL.

;)

I totally agree on the second statement.

Talk with ya later, bro!

Timelord ...

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Discussing pinball preferences is like discussing who goes into a hall of fame. It's all subjective data. For instance, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducted KISS. The boards lit up like Christmas trees. "They can't play, they're nothing but makeup and flash pots, if they're going in why not (fill in the blank)?" Yet they sell out arena after arena, sold over 100 million records, played what's considered the first rock ballad ("Beth"), and have been playing for almost five decades. "High Speed" is a fast, fun, fairly easy game. More than a few people wanted it, because here it is. I'll leave it at that, I'm not gonna try to caahnge your mind if you don't like it. Now, back to runnin' red lights...

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
I find the inverse true with re: to High Speed

I played 2 games of High Speed on the PC and shattered by personal best high score compared to droid.

To be honest, I only tried a couple of games on the tablet since I have gifted my tablet to my wife. Maybe those games were just flukes, LOL !

Timelord ...

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
love the table.

Prefer the Android version on my Nexus 7 (with High textures). Looks and plays amazing.

Steam PC version, I can't purchase it due to error, not keen on the dark lighting either.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
This is my first time playing. And I'm loving it.

Victory seems like it ripped off high speed. A lot. Interesting that would be table of the month.

I love these system 11s. Straight forward, no bs, just fast scoring action.

Victory is nothing like High Speed IMO. The fact that you have to get checkpoints for one makes it completely different. I've only played the steam version as the table of the month and tried the demo for High Speed and there's no comparison. Much different pace. Clearly High speed the better game but I'm enjoying Victory for the attempt for accurate shots.

Also this table is pretty fast IMO. It's fun and I hope to See F-14 Tomcat. That is one table that's insanely fast IRL.

Last edited:

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
usually, in arcades or bars I was always displeased by the fact that I can't hear the machine very well. For this one, I'm glad. I never realized IRL how incredibly annoying is that "first full song".
The best table so far in season 3.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Just as expected, my first few games playing HS today resulted in some absolutely pathetic early drains compared to the wonder game yesterday.

Then I slowed down, stopped panicking and started aiming based on 'feeling' rather than looking at the trajectories and completely destroyed the high score with a 9m point game.

I think it's great, it's like Whodunnit where it's got tonnes of easy shots in general, they're just very easy to brick and derail your entire game.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Once I got used to playing with my new 360 controller on the PC - I think I'll be sticking to the controller, too - the table played great. It's fast, no real exploits to talk of, if a little basic in the rule set. The only Wizard Goal I had any real trouble with was the 250k ramp bonus, because it requires target shooting on a table that isn't really about target shooting (although it could be! just make it so the ramp doesn't spot lights after a while), and also you have to hold back from hitting the ramp at every opportunity.

I played HS2 a loooong time before I ever even laid eyes on HS. I think the issue a lot of people seem to have is that, being the first S11 table, it has all these fantastic capabilities that it just can't fully capitalize on. Think of it like how the first games to come out on a console are generally not as polished or as fully-featured as ones that come when developers' understanding of the hardware is more complete. I'm guessing the same goes for pinball boards.

I have had a few quasi-CTDs though. The game's obviously still running but it drops to the desktop and I can't get back in so I have to kill the process. I don't know if this is related to the controller, if it's a just High Speed issue, or a 1.25.10 issue, or what, since I've only played HS since it was released.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.