Request How About A Two-DMD Pack?

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I missed the discussion about the Dr Dude pack and while I'm late, I agree that neither table is strong enough to carry a pack. That's not necessarily because neither has a dmd...

That being said, IMO, if you are going to do an early SS or EM, you need to pack it with a really strong table, and Dr Dude just isn't. Now if it was, Earthshaker and Firepower or High Speed and Firepower, it would have been stronger. But it is really nice when you get a DMD AND a system 11 all those packs early on we're very strong and you feel you get amazing bang for your buck.

With all that being said I actually feel Firepower is the stronger table last month and I enjoy it more than Dr Dude.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
High Speed, Centaur, or 8 Ball Deluxe are strong enough, IMO, to carry a pack. Dr. Dude is very middle of the road. Firepower is a little stronger, but still nothing extrodinary. EarthShaker is strong enough to carry a pack, but I would love to see it packed with Whirlwind, or another strong game. Looking back, the Taxi/Harley pack I would think most people bought for Taxi and just consider Harley the bonus, even though it's DMD and Taxi is not. At the end of the day, Nobody wants weak tables, period. Nobody want's Space Shuttle (lol, kidding... sort of haha I'm sorry Space Shuttle fans) and if you have to have a weak table, pack it with something strong. Nobody will complain if Space Shuttle comes with Whitewater or Red and Teds Roadshow.... but anyways, my point is, It's really the table and not neccesarily the DMD or lack there of.

So far the variety is something that Farsight has really nailed. Even if you look at the SS/EM's so far. Such amazing variety. Central Park was a GREAT choice because it's simply so unique. So is Genie, so is Black Hole... Big Shot is definitely a more traditional design so you have 3 very unique designs and then a traditional... I don't have much knowledge of early games, but so far they've done a great job. DMD wise, there are still tons of tables that can be done. Enough to justify a dual-DMD release? Maybe. But it's what Jeff said, it's about balance and variety.

Last edited:

CC13

Sep 1, 2012
I missed the discussion about the Dr Dude pack and while I'm late, I agree that neither table is strong enough to carry a pack. That's not necessarily because neither has a dmd...

That being said, IMO, if you are going to do an early SS or EM, you need to pack it with a really strong table, and Dr Dude just isn't. Now if it was, Earthshaker and Firepower or High Speed and Firepower, it would have been stronger. But it is really nice when you get a DMD AND a system 11 all those packs early on we're very strong and you feel you get amazing bang for your buck.

With all that being said I actually feel Firepower is the stronger table last month and I enjoy it more than Dr Dude.

High Speed, Centaur, or 8 Ball Deluxe are strong enough, IMO, to carry a pack. Dr. Dude is very middle of the road. Firepower is a little stronger, but still nothing extrodinary. EarthShaker is strong enough to carry a pack, but I would love to see it packed with Whirlwind, or another strong game. Looking back, the Taxi/Harley pack I would think most people bought for Taxi and just consider Harley the bonus, even though it's DMD and Taxi is not. At the end of the day, Nobody wants weak tables, period. Nobody want's Space Shuttle (lol, kidding... sort of haha I'm sorry Space Shuttle fans) and if you have to have a weak table, pack it with something strong. Nobody will complain if Space Shuttle comes with Whitewater or Red and Teds Roadshow.... but anyways, my point is, It's really the table and not neccesarily the DMD or lack there of.

So far the variety is something that Farsight has really nailed. Even if you look at the SS/EM's so far. Such amazing variety. Central Park was a GREAT choice because it's simply so unique. So is Genie, so is Black Hole... Big Shot is definitely a more traditional design so you have 3 very unique designs and then a traditional... I don't have much knowledge of early games, but so far they've done a great job. DMD wise, there are still tons of tables that can be done. Enough to justify a dual-DMD release? Maybe. But it's what Jeff said, it's about balance and variety.

Just to reiterate, I'm not asserting that a table needs a DMD to be great. The suggestion of a two-DMD pack was merely intended as some friendly advice about how to quell the unrest that the lackluster Table Pack #11 caused amongst TPA's most vocal fans. It certainly isn't the only idea, though–I've been meaning to start a thread about what theme packs we might, as a community, desire to see once FarSight run out of feasible high-profile tables to bring us. Also, is my head playing tricks on me or wasn't Taxi the lead table for Table Pack #5? I seem to recall TPA having a Taxi-themed icon for a while, which only further demonstrates your point that DMDs are not the alpha and the omega when it comes to pinball. However, I do stand by my assertion that, with a few exceptions, DMDs should be FarSight's meat and potatoes if they want TPA to continue making money because that's what appeals to the Gen X buyers I consider to be their main audience.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I agree with you. But no HD was the table icon that month. But not because it was dmd, because it was the new table, Taxi is a rerelease. That's why in October (or was it September?) Party Monsters was the icon not No Good Gofers, despite PM being system 11 and Gofers being DMD...

It brings up an interesting thing going forward too... We are running out of rerelease material. Only Space Shuttle, Pinbot, Whirlwind and Sorcerer remain from the Williams collection, though there are still plenty of older Gotliebs I guess but personally I can do without most of them. Well see what they do.

And also I'm wondering how they will do Centaur and 8 Ball. Do you guys think those two tables are strong enough to carry a pack by themselves? For me yeah but I'm oldschool and easy to please.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I agree with you. But no HD was the table icon that month. But not because it was dmd, because it was the new table, Taxi is a rerelease. That's why in October (or was it September?) Party Monsters was the icon not No Good Gofers, despite PM being system 11 and Gofers being DMD...

It brings up an interesting thing going forward too... We are running out of rerelease material. Only Space Shuttle, Pinbot, Whirlwind and Sorcerer remain from the Williams collection, though there are still plenty of older Gotliebs I guess but personally I can do without most of them. Well see what they do.

And also I'm wondering how they will do Centaur and 8 Ball. Do you guys think those two tables are strong enough to carry a pack by themselves? For me yeah but I'm oldschool and easy to please.

I think those two tables could probably carry a pack but the second table would have to be pretty good as well. There are quite a few people clamoring for those two to be released and they are extremely vocal. I think the way they verbalize their love for the tables encourage other people to check it out. Gorgar also was kind of similar in its cult following but to a much lesser extent. Plus if Farsight can market it in just the right way, no telling how many people may go for it.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I guess I missed something, but I can't remember a lot of unrest from the last pack - Firepower is what sold me that pack, though I enjoy Dr. Dude as well. As long as the tables are fun to play I don't really care about the era too much, but tables with a lot of toys do get a bit wearing.

We're getting two tables a month - after two collections on the Wii separated by a span of years and feeling like that would be my primary pinball fix forever, I feel absolutely spoiled. Farsight could release no tables for a full year and I wouldn't cry about it.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's funny after this thread I went back to Dr. Dude and I think the table is very strong. It's also highly regarded on ipdb and other sources. Very high up on pinside. I think it just threw people off because this is the first time we've had a system 11 + SS combo.

Last edited:

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
Farsight's pretty smart if you think about it. They put out an advanced table (DMD) with a simple one (EM) this way you are forced to buy an EM table even if you don't want it or not. If they put 2 EM tables out at the same time sales would plummet, so they are most likely going to do one of each a month. I bet last month's pack had low sales, not having a DMD table. I questioned buying it myself.

Agree, they put some extra 'B' table in the pack just to be able to sell the pack for more, DrDude and Firepower was a terrible choice if you ask me, haven't bought them, don't like either one at all. Find it a bit annoying that it's not possible anymore to not buy the 'B' table, I would buy just the single table for the same price anyway if it was a good one. Before was better, the choice to buy it for a bit more if you wanted, now it's obligation to buy them both even if you only want the 'A' table...

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
at these prices i find it impossible not to buy them ive got issues but then all these b sides sre kinda my favourites heh

im spartacus!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.