How do SPA tables compare to their TPA counterparts?

Tan Coul

Mar 15, 2012
Hmm, tried this - not only did it not output in TPA's 3840*1920, it reduced what was previously playing at 1920*1080 to 1280*720...

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
The SPA version of LAH got rid of the bug where two music tracks play at the same time over the "enter initials" screen. So SOME work was done.

Oh, interesting translucency on the SPA version. I have never played a Ripley's IRL, I'm assuming that the new version is more accurate? They removed the gaurds over the ramps, too

There is a post claiming that the new iOS update unlocks the TPA tables you already purchased but the only one that unlocked for me is LAH. For some silly reason I bought the tables seperately instead of as a bundle. Now I'm bummed because I want to play this new version of Ripley's.

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Oh, interesting translucency on the SPA version. I have never played a Ripley's IRL, I'm assuming that the new version is more accurate? They removed the gaurds over the ramps, too

There is a post claiming that the new iOS update unlocks the TPA tables you already purchased but the only one that unlocked for me is LAH. For some silly reason I bought the tables seperately instead of as a bundle. Now I'm bummed because I want to play this new version of Ripley's.
RBION always one of the more faithful of the early, Season 1 tables. It was more forgiving than a real table, but not changed nearly as badly as TZ, the Elvira tables, and especially BOP, all of which barely resembled the originals.
Tables since STTNG have been more faithful, with only occasional alterations, such as shots from the cannon no longer the drain hazard they are on a real table, which are so bad, players tend to aim for the bell rather than the intended targets. Stern responded with alterations to the ROM so it no longer tells you that you missed when you hit the bell, though I do not think it gives you any extra points or bonuses beyond a standard bell strike. Also, the underfield, with its limited places for the ball to go, perhaps unavoidedly shows the predictability in the meshes.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
RBION always one of the more faithful of the early, Season 1 tables. It was more forgiving than a real table, but not changed nearly as badly as TZ, the Elvira tables, and especially BOP, all of which barely resembled the originals.
Tables since STTNG have been more faithful, with only occasional alterations, such as shots from the cannon no longer the drain hazard they are on a real table, which are so bad, players tend to aim for the bell rather than the intended targets. Stern responded with alterations to the ROM so it no longer tells you that you missed when you hit the bell, though I do not think it gives you any extra points or bonuses beyond a standard bell strike. Also, the underfield, with its limited places for the ball to go, perhaps unavoidedly shows the predictability in the meshes.

You are talking about AC/DC? Intersting.

I would rebuy every table from season 1 if they updated them to current standards. They are all far too easy and predictable compared to their IRL counterparts and some of the tables become really boring as a result. On top of that, the textures are awful. Some of them I just never play because it's just not fun.

It's a real shame, too, because most of the best tables are in season 1.

Off topic, but why hasn't any other developer challenged Farsight to the throne? I'd love to see someone else remake these tables and see if they could do it better.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
They have, it's called Visual Pinball.

...and some people do it better, and some people don't, and aside from the obvious legal issues with VP, quality and regularity of updates will vary from table to table, developer to developer, since these are all unpaid hobbyists doing it in their spare time. So if you want to experience some of the same frustration levels that console owners have right there on your PC (except the money aspect of it, I guess), VP is for you.

In addition, VP is PC-only. Zaccaria aside, I seriously don't see anyone coming along with any kind of competition on mobile devices or consoles. Zen maybe but they have zero experience in working with real-world tables and real-world physics engines.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.