How's The Pinball Scene By You?

TripleT

Sep 23, 2012
Haven't seen a pinball table in real life in like ten years.

Just did a search and found there's a TZ, Batman, and Tales from the Crypt in like-new condition at mini-golf about 10 minutes from my house!

I might not have to take that overflowing jar of change to the bank after all...

Well, looks like they're down to just Batman... but I didn't mind!

It leaned a little to the right, and I'm not sure if that made it harder or easier to play. Catching balls on the left flipper was tricky, but catching them on the right flipper was almost too easy. I had several SDTM's which seemed like they happened because of the slight lean. But after two very quick games for $1, the next $1 lasted about 45 minutes!

I definitely improved my skills by playing TPA on the iPad recently. I was making bounce and post passes like I knew what I was doing! And at one point, I had 4 balls trapped on a single flipper (the right one of course). It was a blast!

There were kids around, and not a single one had the slightest interest in what was going on. And that machine was going crazy at times!

I think I earned one or two free games, and got two free games because of lucky matches at the end (they must have configured this table to be very generous). The machine would make a sound like an industrial strength whoopee cushion for about half a second. I'm not sure that was working quite right. :p

What a great time!

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Oddly enough, one of my local arcades has 3 pinball machines, 2 of which are Austin Powers and Southpark, and yes both have toilets.....so I guess the owner has some kind of fascination with toilets. The 3rd machine is The X-files, which basically plays like a giant toilet, so I guess it's fitting as well.

LOL
I actually like X-Files. As an accountant I find hitting a filing cabinet fun.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
LOL
I actually like X-Files. As an accountant I find hitting a filing cabinet fun.

I don't mind it, but the one near me is in need of some serious maintenance. Actually both the X-Files machines I've played recently both have some fairly major issues, but that's late 90's Sega pinball for ya.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Somebody just told me about a mini golf course less than 5 miles from me that has a gameroom with a pinball machine.
So I called the place at lunch and they actually have 3 pins; Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, and World Cup Soccer. I wasn't planning on playing any real life pins this weekend but how can I resist. I'll drag my wife along for ice cream and make her take a pic or two for me to post.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
It's just one or two tables spread around the city right now, but a new venue is opening up end of May with 25+ Pins in a bar setting.

Can't wait!

Timelord ...

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
A comic book shop, 30 minutes away from me, has a bunch of pinball tables including Twilight Zone and Theater of Magic. To me, my favorite is the No Fear table. They also have ACDC, I think Champion Pub (back room perhaps), X-men, Attack from Mars, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Goldeneye, and Creature from the Black Lagoon.

@_@ Wow, that's impressive. I was thinking of working on a pinball website that would do just that, and it blew it out of the water with the Google Maps pins.

Last edited:

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
I used to live in Portland, OR which has to be the on-location pinball capital of the world. I'm in Denver now, which isn't too shabby either.

If you live in the US, you can consult http://pinballmap.com/ to see if your region is covered and find some machines. The adding and removing of machines is done by users, so if something isn't accurate- change it! I'm the admin for the CO region so if you have any questions about the site, feel free to ask.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Went to the mini golf place near me yesterday to play some pinball. The pins have seen a lot of play in their day and it showed a little. But they played pretty well and the prices were cheap. World Cup Soccer was 2 plays for $1, TAF was 3 plays for $1, and Gilligan's Island gave me 4 plays for $1. Five dollars was plenty to have a good time. Very surprised by how much i enjoyed Gilligan's Island. You can tell it was an early DMD as it didn't add much to the game but the shots were fun and the rotating island toy was a nice touch. Even got my wife to play a game of Addams Family with me. Here are a couple of pics she took (sorry about the quality). Nice to have a place like this less than 5 miles away. I will definitely be going back.

1366566932442.jpg

1366567012606.jpg

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Went to the mini golf place near me yesterday to play some pinball. The pins have seen a lot of play in their day and it showed a little. But they played pretty well and the prices were cheap. World Cup Soccer was 2 plays for $1, TAF was 3 plays for $1, and Gilligan's Island gave me 4 plays for $1. Five dollars was plenty to have a good time. Very surprised by how much i enjoyed Gilligan's Island. You can tell it was an early DMD as it didn't add much to the game but the shots were fun and the rotating island toy was a nice touch. Even got my wife to play a game of Addams Family with me. Here are a couple of pics she took (sorry about the quality). Nice to have a place like this less than 5 miles away. I will definitely be going back.

http:/
/img812.imageshack.us/img812/1205/1366566932442.jpg
1366567012606.jpg

I pass this place on my way back and forth to work and thought about stopping there. I know it's listed on pinside's pin map and was curious of the condition of the games. I'll have to check it out sometime.

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Pinball is pretty good where I live. My movie theatre has a Transformers, but the best place is an arcade at a mall about fifteen minutes away. It has a Lord of the Rings and a Big Guns. The machines are usually in great shape, but LOTR is out of order at the moment, and the left cannon lock on BG doesn't hold the ball. :( The staff is great though, and hopefully they will fix the machines soon.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I just found out that one of my preferred watering holes now has an AC/DC machine. :)

I hope my knees will hold out because I plan on pluggin' at least $20 into it.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I just found out that one of my preferred watering holes now has an AC/DC machine. :)

I hope my knees will hold out because I plan on pluggin' at least $20 into it.

Great news, man. Let us know how it goes.

For those about to rock....

Paul Petrissans

Jan 4, 2013
The Pinball scene in New York city has suddenly exploded. In the 90s when I moved here, I would go to a few bars to play pinball and those same bars have tables now. Then around 2000 or so, it seemed to die out, and now suddenly there is pinball everywhere. http://www.pinballnyc.com/ A skate shop near me has bunches of tables and two spots have recently opened with bunches of tables and there is a least one pinball themed bar. By bunches I mean like 8 tables! I don't know how it happened all of a sudden. Recently I stopped by a spot for fish tacos, and there was a wild scene going on. Surprisingly, it was pinball as spectator sport at the Fishtales table! Not only that, but the tables are ridiculously well maintained.

When I live in Los Angeles, there were many pinball tables in an arcade, a pool hall, and the Santa Monica pier. It was fun, but the tables were never in very good shape.

Liverslapper

Apr 29, 2013
I live in Wyoming so you are lucky to find a pinball machine, let alone an actual scene. If I want to play an actual pin, I've either got to purchase my own or go over to Denver. I've found a couple here in Wyoming and each one was so busted up and broken that they were unplayable, (what a shame). Anything involving real life pinball I need to travel out of state.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.