Request Idea: Community designed menus?

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
I had a idea earlier. I heard a few members here saying the new menu was crap. And in the past some people were saying they were graphic artists and offered their help.
I was kind of wondering if FarSight could/would start a contest. One to design a new look for the main menu and table selection screens. Collect all the entries on the site here and have the community vote on which one we think is best.
Winner gets his name in the credits, maybe some DLC, could give out shirts or something to finalists. Not a bad price to pay for cheap labor and it would be one less thing they would have to worry about. Plus we can't complain too much if we picked the winner ;)
Heck even if FS was already working on it maybe toss up a few concepts for a community vote. I admit, although ugly the new menu is a bit more functional, but I am still holding out for something more Zen like.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yeah we could just have a thing here, and see what people come up with! It might help give FarSight some ideas, even. : D

(Personally I do like the functionality of the new table select menu, and I think it scales better as tables are added than something like Zen's grid.)

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Yeah, I agree I think it's much more functional than before. But I if you had a 4x4, 5x5 grid on screen, then were able to scroll down I think that would work better than a long single line for quickly getting the table you want.
Plus I think it would make my mind feel like I had more tables than if I were only seeing like 5 on screen at once :)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I like the idea, but it sounds like Farsight is working on improving it.

I posted this in the PS3 section, but it might not have been seen if you don't check that part of the forum:

I emailed Bobby about the UI/menu complaints and got an encouraging response:

"We have a new UI guy working full time now and we'll be updating the look in a month or so. It will function in a similar manner, but the new look is a lot better."

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I don't think that's very realistic. There could be liability issues in using something designed by someone outside of Farsite that wasn't contracted by them. Beside, it was mention that they have someone new working on the UI. (Personally I have no problem with it now, and I'm not ver fond of Zens menu. Kind of boring in MHO)

Last edited:

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
I don't think that's very realistic. There could be liability issues in using something designed by someone outside of Farsite that wasn't contracted by them. Beside, it was mention that they have someone new working on the UI. (Personally I have no problem with it now, and I'm not ver fond of Zens menu. Kind of boring in MHO)

Well in the past they have had fan submitted items in games. First thing that comes to mind is a few LittleBigPlanet costumes that were fan designed that were put into the game. If they had what you agreeing to in writing in advance I think it could fly.

And like I said near the end ... if they do have a new UI guy working on it. Toss up some rough concepts and have a community vote on the one we like. The one they have now is better than the first functionality wise ... but if the new one they are working on is anything similar once you add another 15 tables or so and it will be a big pain.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I like the idea, but it sounds like Farsight is working on improving it.

I posted this in the PS3 section, but it might not have been seen if you don't check that part of the forum:

I emailed Bobby about the UI/menu complaints and got an encouraging response:

"We have a new UI guy working full time now and we'll be updating the look in a month or so. It will function in a similar manner, but the new look is a lot better."

Ooh, I missed that! Good news!

ER777

Sep 8, 2012

As long as Farsight got their lawyers to write up the proper releases and disclaimers and the submission process made people agree to those terms in order to make a submission they would be fine.

That aside I think the layout of the new UI is fine but the textures need work, at least the PS3 version in 720P (I should launch it once in 1080p just to see the UI but haven't yet). Everything looks very pixelated and low-res right now. I would also like to see the table models be a little bigger in the selection screen, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space that could be used for that.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
...and I'm not ver fond of Zens menu. Kind of boring in MHO)

Boring, but incredibly quick and functional. On mobile, its three taps, and you're playing the table.

Unless the table you want to play is Attack From Mars, the TPA experience is not on par.

I'm looking forward to some UI optimization. I'm hoping the new UI designer well be very active on this forum.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
An idea I had was on iOS the app buttons they use are very detailed, if they created one for each table it would make a good quick start menu

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts