Request Improve the audio quality of each table

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I could be wrong, but I think the files on Granner's site are much higher quality than what you'd find on the ROM for the game, which explains why they sound so much better.

Edit: here's the info from that page:

The guy to whom we really owe the existance of the archive is Marcel Gonzalez, a Florida-based composer & avid gamer, and the one guy in the world willing to take the time to produce the tracks in this archive. Using the original game electronics & software, and a nifty device set up to emulate the game as it made sound requests, Marcel called up each music track & each sound effect for each of the games listed below, and recorded the audio into his computer. Then, using standard Wintel-based audio tools (which by the way allowed him to apply some very nice DSP enhancements to the audio), he assembled the soundtracks you hear below, sound by sound, AS THOUGH A GAME MIGHT BE MAKING THEM. He actually produced a reference recording of actual game play in each case, to know what sounds to put when. If you’re familiar with these games, listening to these tracks will take you right back to the last time you played the game; it’s really an amazing experience and, like I say, actually sounds better than the original.

So you can see that this quality isn't part of the ROM that's part of the game, it's been recreated.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
TPA doesn't emulate DCS. Farsight samples the sound from the actual machine, so it's likely they didn't do a good job.

The thing is, DCS used on pins outputs at a near-CD quality of 32kHz. It's likely because older pins barely did 11.025kHz that maybe Farsight didn't sample good enough. Maybe 22kHz or so. I also don't know if Farisght sampled by using a microphone positioned near the speakers, or actually captured the output from the AV board itself.

PinMAME emulates DCS so it would have better audio quality. But DCS emulation took a ton of CPU which is probably why Farsight preferred to sample rather than emulate.

And yes, DCS pretty much rocks. Those MM samples were probably taken from a software DCS decoder rather than sampled through the AV board - I think they came direct from Williams who had access to the original media.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.