iOS 8

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Are people really that skittish about updates?
More like cautious...iOS 8 is being touted by Apple as "The biggest iOS release ever". I've went through the features and enhancements through research. Nothing I see is prompting me to jump on the iOS 8 band wagon, especially if the performance on my iPads will suffer. Some of these features are not even in place yet, waiting either for the release of OS X Yosemite or later next year.

As in going from iOS 6 to iOS 7, I may follow that same update path...iPhone 5 first (since I don't really play TPA on it), then decide by hands-on use of iOS 8 on the iPhone if it's worth updating the iPads. I had iOS 7 on the iPhone for a couple of months before I decided to update the iPads. Eventually though, I'll probably update, but not the iPad 3...I'm still on iOS 6 on that device. Besides, the wife would kill me if I updated it.

Last edited:

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Works perfectly with iOS 8 on iPad Air. Maybe even better than 7. Very happy with the upgrade as the speed of my iPad seems to have gotten slightly faster. Cosmetically it is identical to 7. Improving performance is however the most important area to me and Apple seems to have done a nice job. I have detected no bugs with any of my apps.

saspin

Aug 22, 2014
TPA doesn't crash as others have mentioned?

Scott

Works perfectly with iOS 8 on iPad Air. Maybe even better than 7. Very happy with the upgrade as the speed of my iPad seems to have gotten slightly faster. Cosmetically it is identical to 7. Improving performance is however the most important area to me and Apple seems to have done a nice job. I have detected no bugs with any of my apps.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Posts like this give me hope. Maybe I should stop visiting the Apple forums (both iPhone & iPad) where it's never-ending issues being reported after an iOS update. :rolleyes:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Are people really that skittish about updates?

There were enough reports when going from 6 to 7 that yes, people are skittish! I do believe the term is "planned obsolescence" and have no doubt Apple and other companies program it right in.

W1LDD ONE

Jul 21, 2013
I have had bad luck on IOS updates in the past.
No hurry for me I will wait awhile.
My iPad 3 runs just fine right now.
I'am still running 7.1.1 for the time being.

PerryD

Apr 23, 2013
I'm on an iPad4/iOS8, TPA -sort- of works. After upgrading, TPA would crash immediately when trying to start a game. Uninstalling and re-downloading fixed that problem, though it zeroed out my Hall of Fame and achievement points. I can now launch games, but cannot turn off scroll mode, which makes several games unplayable. It doesn't appear to me that TPA was tested at all with iOS8.

Perry

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
There were enough reports when going from 6 to 7 that yes, people are skittish! I do believe the term is "planned obsolescence" and have no doubt Apple and other companies program it right in.

Exactly. I never blindly leap into updates for anything, especially major OS updates.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Exactly. I never blindly leap into updates for anything, especially major OS updates.

I blindly leaped into iOS7 with no problems on my iPad Air. My biggest issue is with TPA - just about everything seems too fast. The damn ball just flies everywhere! But otherwise everything is fine.

So I was going to jump into iOS8 - but on the three separate occasions that I've tried to do it,the update will take at least a week to do. Tried it twice over WiFi & once through iTunes. I'm guessing some higher power is telling me to wait...so that is what I'm going to do now...

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
iPhone 5, 64gb AT&T model. Works if you have the tables already downloaded. If it's not there you'll get this error even with full service on wifi...
3e3485c3fbdf19b7ebdd2bb4e621cfff.jpg

Proof it's online:
7a3846e0e3b6297e4f510f66b7146c20.jpg

Edit: fails out on cell data too.

Last edited:

milhouse6

Sep 28, 2012
+1 re: seems playback is even smoother HOWEVER it crashes on completion of every game on all tables tried so far. Kicks out to home screen. Playable as long as I quit each table just before it tries to reset itself.

iPad3 LTE 16G, iOS8.

Was disappointed to find this still happening after today's version update. :(
Still have to quit out of every game at the last moment or the whole app crashes.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Was disappointed to find this still happening after today's version update. :(
Still have to quit out of every game at the last moment or the whole app crashes.
A common fix for these kinds of crashing issues is to completely delete, then reinstall TPA. If you've already done that, then disregard.

milhouse6

Sep 28, 2012
A common fix for these kinds of crashing issues is to completely delete, then reinstall TPA. If you've already done that, then disregard.

Thanks. Tried, problem persisted.

Found a workaround, though -- turned Game Center Save to OFF and the problem disappeared. Is there a place I should be putting official bug reports?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts