iOS - Flipper goes dead after holding for too long

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
LOL! I'm sorry that made me laugh, only cause I'm crying a little inside. Damn it! I was really hoping maybe you were on to something or that this would be magically fixed in this new update.

Feb 19, 2014
LOL! I'm sorry that made me laugh, only cause I'm crying a little inside. Damn it! I was really hoping maybe you were on to something or that this would be magically fixed in this new update.

Lol it's cool man haha, glad I got a laugh out of ya.

Yeah it's like. I can see why this isn't getting much attention. You can play entire games and not notice/have it happen. High Speed in particular because I'm not cradling balls, this is a very fast game. But sure enough yeah it's still there. I had to dick around though, doing the usual things that I know trigger it, to get it to work.

Is this your main platform to play on? My suggestion is, we just wait for other people to notice it, including Farsight testers and employees. Until then just something we gotta live with.

Tell you honestly the "through the flipper" bug that I thought was history (and is on mobile) pisses me off on ps4 a lot more than this, cause that's the main platform I go for high scores on.

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
My main platform is PS4, fortunately. But I definitely kill a lot of time at work on iOS. And yeah the ball through the flipper is definitely frustrating.

Feb 19, 2014
Same here.

The frequency of those bugs is about the same for me, and while it's worth pointing out and hopefully can be pinpointed and fixed, my advice is, don't let it bother you to the point you stop playing and enjoying the game. I still play my best and have fun on both iOS and ps4 despite these hiccups, and I hope you do too.

Not saying you do, just incase you do ;). Don't want a fellow pinhead being stressed over stuff we can't control.

Blah I think psychologically I'm telling myself this or something. I just realized. This does stress and bum me out :(. Blerdgastine.

Last edited:

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
Man, I love what Farsight is doing with TPA. I really couldn't be happier. I try not to let it ruin anything for me. They have done such a fantastic job with everything else it's hard to be disappointed. To be able to play the tables I grew up with on the go is really a dream come true. I just want to get these bugs out there in the wild and hope that others chime in with their experiences so that we can get them solved. I just know we can't be the only ones.

Feb 19, 2014
I agree completely.

Regarding the bug. You gotta figure this. iOS is just a portion of the customer base. And probably half of the iOS base is on tablet, another have on iphone 4S and below. When you really break it down 5 and above iPhone is a small small fraction of the overall market.

Add to that, some people , their play style doesn't trigger the bug, even guys like Stuart and thier own beta testers don't notice it, or maybe it's just a bug that effects certain people. Add to that, some people just aren't perceptive; for instance,I played on galaxy s4 and it lagged and was choppy as hell, meanwhile others say the phone runs the game "great", either naive or just unreceptive to obvious stutter/frame drops, they wouldn't be perceptive to this bug. So once you add up all the factors it's easy to see why this is flying under the radar so to speak.

That said I totally agree, there are definitely others. But maybe they don't know about the forum? Majority players are casual, we notice it cause were hardcore, but if say you can barely keep the ball alive I doubt you're going to notice the bug. So many factors add up.

Last edited:

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
Yeah. Casual players I suspect would never experience this bug. Even if they did they'd probably not think twice about it. I'm just hoping some guys at FS can replicate this somehow at least to prove we're not crazy. Haha.

heddhunter

Sep 29, 2012
I have a 5S and I just spent some time trying to reproduce this problem. I haven't been able to see it. I guess I should count myself lucky!

danceandfight

Apr 22, 2013
iPad 4, the same bug on multiball on Twilight Zone. The controls didn't switch from plunger to flippers and if you don't launch the ball in a few seconds the next ball appears in a plunger in addition to the one. Didn't see this bug on other tables, but I don't play much now.

Feb 19, 2014
I have a 5S and I just spent some time trying to reproduce this problem. I haven't been able to see it. I guess I should count myself lucky!

Back in the day my play style was very on the fly. I very seldomly cradled balls, and never during multiball. Now I cradle usually 2 balls on the left flipper and play with the right - doing that during Who Dunnit multiball almost gaurentees to trigger the bug.

However on the fly doesn't. That's why I played high speed and thought the bug was gone. I realized I wasn't cradling balls in the left at all. Plus I do believe the frequency is lower on that table in general compared to WD.

First time I had it I just assumed it was my screen protector. When it happened again I cleaned the area. This was all right when WD came out which is also right when I got my new 5S. I've pretty much made peace with it, I can work around it and I've only once ever lost a ball to it, but it has prematurely ended a few multiballs for me. Plus I mainly play on ps4 I haven't done a serious iOS score run in a long time.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2014
Well, Verizon told me I had 30 days to exchange the phone for a new replacement.

I played Fish Tales today. And omg, the bug was wreaking complete havok on my game! I've never experienced this so bad.

Like if this were a bug in the build, everyone would be freaking. Therefor it's gotta be the phone somehow.

And I know that my friends 5C had it and so does Shoemakers wife's but well, maybe we just all got a bad batch of phones! Honestly because, frankly Fish Tales is nearly unplayable for me.

Well see how it goes. Making an exchange sometime in the next few days.

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
I have to say that I have what I believe is a sure fire way to avoid the bug. I think I mentioned this early and I'm slowly adapting it to my play style. When I'm trapping a ball or two for a while during multiball, I slowly rock my thumb ever so slightly in place. This seems to for whatever reason not activate the bug. It's not an ideal solution but it's not a terrible one either. Lizard, if you get a chance maybe you could try this technique too and let me know if it works. Hopefully I'm describing it well enough that you know what I mean.

Feb 19, 2014
I have to say that I have what I believe is a sure fire way to avoid the bug. I think I mentioned this early and I'm slowly adapting it to my play style. When I'm trapping a ball or two for a while during multiball, I slowly rock my thumb ever so slightly in place. This seems to for whatever reason not activate the bug. It's not an ideal solution but it's not a terrible one either. Lizard, if you get a chance maybe you could try this technique too and let me know if it works. Hopefully I'm describing it well enough that you know what I mean.

I'm trading up phones later today. Hopefully I'm not hassled much over it, I was there earlier in the month and she told me that they will 100% replace it with a brand new phone within the 30 day period for any problems/errors.

I am glad you found a workaround. If I still have the issue with the new phone I'll try it out.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
@PinballLizard
I'm very interested to see if a new device would solve your touchscreen issues. Usually when a touchscreen is "bad" (hardware), it simply doesn't work in a certain screen region, or not at all. For those that have a periodic software related (iOS) issue, sometimes either a device reset (hold down both power/Lock Screen & Home until you see the Apple logo) or a device restore will clear it up (if it's going to clear up).
If your replacement works normally, then you most likely had an intermittent hardware issue with the touchscreen which is not very common. Please report back with your findings.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2014
@PinballLizard
I'm very interested to see if a new device would solve your touchscreen issues. Usually when a touchscreen is "bad" (hardware), it simply doesn't work in a certain screen region, or not at all. For those that have a periodic software related (iOS) issue, sometimes either a device reset (hold down both power/Lock Screen & Home until you see the Apple logo) or a device restore will clear it up (if it's going to clear up).
If your replacement works normally, then you most likely had an intermittent hardware issue with the touchscreen which is not very common. Please report back with your findings.

Blah, I forgot all about doing that reset...

Regardless yeah going up in a little bit to do the exchange. You'll be the first to know if it solves it.

shoemakesmusic

Jan 23, 2014
I'm definitely interested as well. One thing I haven't tried yet either is deleting everything and starting over. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts