Ipad 2 vs ipad 3

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
The iPad is capable of anti-aliasing, but probably can't keep The Pinball Arcade running at 60fps when using it at 2048x1536.

Anti-aliasing is basically unnecessary if the resolution of a display is so high that you can't see the individual pixels (graphics-wise, that's the problem it's meant to solve, so it'd be pretty silly to do AA on a retina display). Any jagged edges you see in the game are in the textures (which are probably limited in quality for the same reason you suggested: performance).

Edit: 3110 again. I guess that just happens every time!

Not if you make the skill shot! (I guess you're doing a full plunge each time?)

Just Some Guy

Jun 18, 2012
It is tricky to convey the ipad2 vs 3 difference in screenshots.
This is why I took photographs rather than using screenshots. While it's not identical to what you see in person, it's by far the most accurate comparison you can do without the devices side-by-side. Of course, both end up looking much larger than the actual device when viewed on a typical PC monitor.

Anti-aliasing is basically unnecessary if the resolution of a display is so high that you can't see the individual pixels (graphics-wise, that's the problem it's meant to solve, so it'd be pretty silly to do AA on a retina display). Any jagged edges you see in the game are in the textures (which are probably limited in quality for the same reason you suggested: performance).
I still notice aliasing on games that run at 2048x1536 without using any AA, but it's definitely not a problem in The Pinball Arcade when you view it on the actual device, rather than looking at screenshots.

Not if you make the skill shot! (I guess you're doing a full plunge each time?)
Yeah, I was just doing a full plunge because I have to do that, and then hit the home + sleep buttons together to take a screenshot before the ball drains. (impossible to take a good photo when the game is running)

Members online

Members online