iPad Air or Mini?

Turbine

May 19, 2012
I'm changing my iPad 3 for a newer model, but can't decide between the iPad Air 1/2 or iPad Mini 2 (there doesn't seem to be any point getting the new one).

I like the idea of the smaller mini for commuting, but for anyone that has gone from a full size iPad to the mini - does TPA play as well on the mini?

haj

Sep 28, 2012
Go full size. The bigger the screen the better and you'd enjoy your game much more and controlling the flippers easier because it'd be easier to judge the timing. I actually want the pro, it'll be awesome. And when you want to create something on the pad, the size of the mini is out of question.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I'm changing my iPad 3 for a newer model, but can't decide between the iPad Air 1/2 or iPad Mini 2 (there doesn't seem to be any point getting the new one).

I like the idea of the smaller mini for commuting, but for anyone that has gone from a full size iPad to the mini - does TPA play as well on the mini?
I literally went through this exact same thing today. Wound up buying a Mini 2 as a friend said it's basically the perfect size, as in portrait it's give-or-take the same width as a gamepad. Same resolution as an air, too.
Plus, the Mini 2 refurb as of today is cheap as hell since the announcement of the Mini 3 (which is literally identical to the 2, except for the touch ID button).

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I have an iPad 3 & an iPad 4 (I realize, not the iPad Air you mentioned in your list) and use my mini 2 for virtually everything, including TPA. IMO, it's the perfect size...I prefer it to the larger devices I have.

Basically, Apple is charging $100 solely for the Touch ID sensor on the mini 3 since that is the only difference between the mini 2 and the mini 3. I'll probably now get a second mini 2 to replace my son's mini 1. I was hoping the upgrade to the mini 3 would've been more worthwhile...as it stands, I'd be paying more for something I care nothing about (Touch ID). Not much of an upgrade at all to me...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Thanks.

I love playing TPA on the iPad 3, but it's heavy and uncomfortable to play for too long. I do have the iCade Core which works perfectly, so I could get the Air, but then I have to remind myself I carry the iPad to work and back every day and the mini would be ideal for that.

Not sure why the Mini 3 exists, who on earth would pay $100 for TouchID? Perhaps if they stopped selling the Mini 2, but they haven't and it's now cheaper!

I hadn't even thought about refurbs but Apple Store seems to be down again.

Reagan Dow

Jul 23, 2014
I have an iPad mini 2 and love it. If you're only buying this for TPA then I guess you'd want the bigger one but I just personally love the size of mini. I use it all the time. Rarely do I use my PowerBook anymore.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Mini is the perfect size, IMO.

I couldn't pass up a new model if at all possible. Just the way I am. Plus, the 32gb model was replaced with the 64gb.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
If you can afford it, iPad Air 2. If you can't, get an iPad Mini Retina. Don't bother with the iPad Mini 3 (the latest one) - the only difference between that and the one before it is Touch ID. That's it.

The iPad Air 2 though would have the faster processor and a bunch of improvements. (The screen is also better than the mini).

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I have the mini retina and love it. Can easily hold with one hand which is good because I like to read on it. Yet it's still big enough for gaming. The wife has an Air which she likes the bigger screen because she watches tv shows on it.

Also, though they're sickeningly expensive, we have the Apple brand full covers and think they're fantastic. They cover the whole device yet don't increase its size by much at all. If you wait till black friday weekend, that's about the only time you can get really good deals on new Apple devices.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I bit the bullet and went for the iPad Air 2, upgrading from the iPad 2. I haven't got it yet so no comparison as of now but I'm excited to get my first retina experience and I also saw that TPA runs much smoother on the iPad Air 1, so I'm expecting a really nice experience in a couple of days (if they can deliver on time that is)!

Turbine

May 19, 2012
I've reserved the mini retina to pick up at the airport, worked out about 8% cheaper which is better than nothing.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
If you can afford it, iPad Air 2. If you can't, get an iPad Mini Retina. Don't bother with the iPad Mini 3 (the latest one) - the only difference between that and the one before it is Touch ID. That's it.

The iPad Air 2 though would have the faster processor and a bunch of improvements. (The screen is also better than the mini).

It didn't get a bump in processor power?

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
It didn't get a bump in processor power?
Nope, no processor upgrade for the mini 3. It's the exact same hardware & design configuration as the mini 2 *except* for the Touch ID sensor & new gold color. Pretty silly if you ask me and definitely not worth the $100 extra over the mini 2. I'd rather save $100 (or more if you get a refurb) and get the mini 2.

The Air 2 OTOH got the following hardware upgrades (off the top of my head...there may be more that I missed):

Upgrades:
Apple A8X processor
New laminated screen (no air gap between LCD and top glass)
New screen coating (anti-glare)
Thinner design
New gold color
Different volume up/down buttons

Downgrades:
Loss of the hardware Side Switch for mute & screen rotation lock. You now access this toggle through Control Center, similar to the iPhone

Last edited:

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
Air2 also got a 2.5x GPU increase from the Air1 (Hopefully this can now support lighting for TPA) One could only dream... :cool:

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
Man, now would be the time to pick up a mini 2.
My thoughts exactly. My 8 year old has a mini 1 that I would love to replace for him with a mini 2. A mini 2 refurb would be an even better deal along with trading in the mini 1.

Just checked on the Best Buy website and trade-in value for the 16 GB mini 1 is $150. I'm not really looking for a fantastic trade-in value, more of convenience...walk in, trade in, walk out.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts