ipad, iphone, kindle-compared to PS3, XBOX......

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I knew I would get stick for this :) I questioned myself after posting it. I agree with what your saying but it's just the way I perceive it when playing. It always feels like I have more time on the Xbox when playing on the bigger screen vs my 7inch Nexus. It might be related to the time it takes me to move my fingers to try and nudge on android vs the analog stick on the Xbox controller.
One thing a bigger screen will give you is that the "sweet spot" on the flipper for a given shot appears larger, so it is easier to more precisely identify the sweet spot and make the shot more often.

And yes, nudging is far faster, more controllable and more intuitive on a controller.

Butterkins

Apr 6, 2012
Until you get TZ and STTNG you don't know what you're missing . . .

I have them, but rarely play them. Great tables in real life, not so much on a touch device.

Like others, I have a hard time playing with the touch controls on my iPad Retina. It just doesn't feel like pinball.

I wish I had some controller I could plug in to the iPad; that would probably help a lot. But then, I'd probably to prefer to play on the 360 anyway.

And the iPad visuals are nothing to write home about. In fact, they're pretty damned ordinary. TZ is OK because it's so dark, but the limitations really show up on the lighter tables, where the ball shadow and reflections are missing, and everything feels a bit cartoony. And the UI... oh vey, the fricking awful UI. Very unprofessional.

J_R

May 31, 2012
Console beats everything else, i use ps3 to a projector that makes my screen about 180 inch….i promise i can see all details JUST fine.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I'm away so no access to Xbox.......... I thought you could only nudge left to right. From reading above it sounds like on Xbox you can also do vertical nudges? :eek:

N

Nik Barbour

I'm away so no access to Xbox.......... I thought you could only nudge left to right. From reading above it sounds like on Xbox you can also do vertical nudges? :eek:

Yep - you can even pull off death saves in Black Hole.

N

Nik Barbour

cheers - how the feck did I miss this. Will have to try and train my brain that I can indeed nudge vertically now.

When is best time to use vertical nudge? on the out lanes?

I tend to use most to get the ball off the slingshots, but like you say outlanes too especially CV. Although my scores are nothing to admire, a better player would give you better advice here. :)

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
sweet - thanks

edit: lol! that video is class......... had no idea you could do that. Nice way of working round the gate open bug.

Last edited:

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Can the PS3-player topple the big-screen TV sideways, and continue playing in portrait mode?
I'm going to bow down in shame, and bask in the shadow of your consolly superiornessyness, while thrashing the ball around the GENIE table a bit.
GENIE.... have that table yet? How about Attack from MARS? Twilight Zone?

See... this is the ugly tone that things can take on, once you can't rejoyce in what you have, without dissing others. Just say you love your PS3 version of TPA, and leave it at that. Respect.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Can the PS3-player topple the big-screen TV sideways, and continue playing in portrait mode?
I'm going to bow down in shame, and bask in the shadow of your consolly superiornessyness, while thrashing the ball around the GENIE table a bit.
GENIE.... have that table yet? How about Attack from MARS? Twilight Zone?

See... this is the ugly tone that things can take on, once you can't rejoyce in what you have, without dissing others. Just say you love your PS3 version of TPA, and leave it at that. Respect.

There, a sensible comment.

I wish to add to that. Being good isn't mutually exclusive. Mobile is it's own experience and is good. Console is it's own experience and it's good. Sure i like things better on the consoles and there are things i like about mobiles better than the consoles, but that doesn't make the other experience bad.

As of this post Anaheim just scored on Vancouver making it 1-0 in the season opener.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
One thing a bigger screen will give you is that the "sweet spot" on the flipper for a given shot appears larger, so it is easier to more precisely identify the sweet spot and make the shot more often.

Sean you are absolutely correct with this statement. I can totally relate to this.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts