Is Data East in TPA doomed because of licensing?

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
It seems like almost every table Data East made was a big license (at least at the time) and many feature celebrity likenesses to boot (yeah, I'm not holding my breath for Batman, WWF Royal Rumble or Star Wars.) Even if we do get some more DE tables it seems like we'd get one or two at best. It's gonna really bum me out if we only get Phantom since it's not very good...

So... Time Machine, Checkpoint, Laser War and Secret Service should all be in the game, IMO, simply because they are unlicensed and I have never played them ;-) Data East should be better represented in TPA. If we can get some of the licensed games my picks would include Stargate, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, Guns n Roses and maybe Tommy... I think a least a couple of those would be doable, no? Rocky and Bullwinkle seems like a more expensive license, but that's a great table too.

Has Farsight made any official statements as to the likelihood of more DE tables in the future?

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Well we have a good chance of getting Last Action Hero as part of the Sony License.But yeah hope we see more Data East tables in the not too distant future :)

invitro

May 4, 2012
So... Time Machine, Checkpoint, Laser War and Secret Service should all be in the game, IMO, simply because they are unlicensed and I have never played them ;-) Data East should be better represented in TPA. If we can get some of the licensed games my picks would include Stargate, Last Action Hero, Tales from the Crypt, Guns n Roses and maybe Tommy...
Checkpoint has the Porsche Carerra name and car all over it, so it would take a license. Stargate is Gottlieb/Premier.

Not many DE's are highly rated, which seems to mean quite a bit. It doesn't seem reasonable for Farsight to pay for one of those big licenses and get a low-rated DE table, when they could get a highly-rated Williams/Bally/Stern table for the same amount or less.

The Stern Pinball Arcade will come into play here. I'll bet that Stern would say the same as above, but double... why make a DE when you can make a modern Stern?

I'd be very surprised to see any DE for many years, unless the last Sony license table is indeed LAH.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Which is unfortunate because Tales From the Crypt is really winning me over. Fun table.

In the past Farsight has hinted pretty strongly that music tables have little chance of coming into TPA. Fortunately going forward SPA should get newer tables done. Which is pretty exciting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle somewhere down the road. Seems like the licensing wouldn't be too bad as Universal owns the license. There may be other studios that are expensive to get licenses for but Bobby has specifically mentioned Disney, Fox, and Warner Bros as the studios who want a premium for licenses.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
How about Jurassic Park, to me that Data East and Tales From The Crypt need to be in The Pinball Arcade. Oh and Rocky and Bullwinkle and friends also.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Man, I really don't like Jurassic Park. Table has terrible flow. Also seems like a very expensive license, especially with the success of Jurassic World. I did see that updated T-Rex mod at the Louisville Arcade Expo this year and it was pretty awesome :) Tales, R&B, Last Action Hero, WWF RR, and GnR are my favorite DE tables, from my experience. Batman was OK and Tommy is good too, although I really don't like the theme on the latter. Star Wars & Simpsons suck. Honestly, there's still a lot of DEs I haven't played. Curious to try Time Machine, Secret Service, Laser War, Mavrick, Robocop, Checkpoint and Hook - and that's like half of their output, so who am I to talk?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts