Is this possible with Pinball Arcade ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
Our apk should target anything with 2.3 or higher. We don't compile for a certain device so that is incorrect. In fact the whole purpose of Android's Dalvik VM ware setup is so that the same apk can be run on anything running Android. Now whether or not you can provide good input to it (does a mouse provide an emulated touch interface?) I dunno and we have no plans of purchasing one of these. I imagine if you can get into the table you should be fine *shrugs*.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Our apk should target anything with 2.3 or higher. We don't compile for a certain device so that is incorrect. In fact the whole purpose of Android's Dalvik VM ware setup is so that the same apk can be run on anything running Android. Now whether or not you can provide good input to it (does a mouse provide an emulated touch interface?) I dunno and we have no plans of purchasing one of these. I imagine if you can get into the table you should be fine *shrugs*.

In the case of TPA, you can use the mouse to start the app and click the menu items. And once you're in the game, use the Controller support for Moga.

For navigating around the OS, you can pair a BT mouse and keyboard and you actually get a mouse cursor to interact with icons.

For those games that don't offer hardware keyboard support, you will need to install root on the device, purchase something like SixAxis and pair a PS3 controller, or choose USB/BT Joystick Center, and configure a touch profile to the game to use it.

If the app only requires a single input, such as angry birds, you can just use the mouse.

As a real-world example, my mum prefers to use a keyboard and mouse when her tablet is connected to the TV for movie playback.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Here are some comparative screenshots (which may or may not convince you either way).

Taken on a 1080p Nexus 7 2013. I don't know if Tapatalk reduces image quality with hosted images, but see what you think.

See if you can blow them up to see the mipmap difference.

*First pair is Textures Normal*

Mipmapping *Off*

9yju4utu.jpg

Mipmapping *On*

u9ypuhen.jpg

*Second pair is Textures High*

Mipmapping *Off*

y6eju7u8.jpg

Mipmapping *On*

mu6ysysa.jpg

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Our apk should target anything with 2.3 or higher. We don't compile for a certain device so that is incorrect.

My bad on that statement that if is compiled based on device, this was the advise that I was passing along that an Android developer told me when I asked him why I could not install or access his app, which is just a basic Device Info app, and when trying to install that app on my Google TV it would not install as it told me that my device was not supported by his app. He told me that it was because he did not and was not going to compile it to run on Google TV. So for this misinformation I would like to apologize for and I thank you for setting me straight on that. My Google TV runs on Android 3.2. If TPA is targetted for anything 2.3 or higher, can you explain a little bit why the Google TV will not even see that APK in Google Play? I also tried to side load the APK and I got a failure to install, thought I can not recall the exact error I got at this time. I am just curious why I can not see it in Google Play even if I specify TPA in the search bar.

Google Play must be doing some kind of device checking or some kind of compatibility verification, how it does this IDK. I still worry that if he were to go out and purchase this "mini-pc" there is no guarantee the TPA will install on it, and also I am curious what he would use as flippers? Does this "mini-pc" use some kind of Blue tooth enabled keyboard?

Thanks John, and again, my apologies for passing on bad information, but I am glad I was corrected! :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
<biiiiig snip>

I still worry that if he were to go out and purchase this "mini-pc" there is no guarantee the TPA will install on it, and also I am curious what he would use as flippers? Does this "mini-pc" use some kind of Blue tooth enabled keyboard?

See my post #22 in this thread for the answer to that.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Watching your screenshots on my phone, i dont see any difference. I'll watch tonight on my computer ^^

But what are the main difference in your opinion?
The resolution? The textures?
On my note 10.1 the main thing is the aliasing. When your are on the table not playing and the camera is slowly moving it's pretty noticeable.
When in game its way better
When i turn mip mapping on, the aliasing is almost totally gone but it's blurry...

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
See my post #22 in this thread for the answer to that.

Thanks, I see it now. Missed the mouse before. I guess I am just stuck with one last piece here I do not really understand. If the code does not have to be compiled based on the device, then can you explain to me why m Google TV which has Android 3.2 can not even see TPA yet is has a later version of DroidOS? I am pretty sure you answered this, but something is just not registering for me. I don't mean to sound ignorant, and I hope you don't think I am being a royal pain the in rear. I am just trying to learn so I can correct my mistake so I can learn from it and pass the knowledge alone.

Thanks!

John

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
There are basically two ways to filter, using the manifest xml and by min sdk. My guess is that for Google tv you have to opt into it? Honestly never looked at Google tv, not a very popular.

Yeah just found it. Just to be clear though there are no plans to implement this at the time, there just isn't any money in it unfortunately.

https://developers.google.com/tv/android/docs/gtv_androidmanifest

Thanks, I see it now. Missed the mouse before. I guess I am just stuck with one last piece here I do not really understand. If the code does not have to be compiled based on the device, then can you explain to me why m Google TV which has Android 3.2 can not even see TPA yet is has a later version of DroidOS? I am pretty sure you answered this, but something is just not registering for me. I don't mean to sound ignorant, and I hope you don't think I am being a royal pain the in rear. I am just trying to learn so I can correct my mistake so I can learn from it and pass the knowledge alone.

Thanks!

John

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
There are basically two ways to filter, using the manifest xml and by min sdk. My guess is that for Google tv you have to opt into it? Honestly never looked at Google tv, not a very popular.
Yeah just found it. Just to be clear though there are no plans to implement this at the time, there just isn't any money in it unfortunately.
https://developers.google.com/tv/android/docs/gtv_androidmanifest

Ok, I get it now. So this basically only affects GoogleTV, so as long as the "mini-pc" does not identify itself as GoogleTV, then he should be able to install it on it. At that point, if he can see it / install it, then he may have to worry about the GPU concerns. Well, I would like to thank you guys for this explanation. I totally understand now, and hey, I leanred something today. It's always a good day when you learn something new! :)

Thanks again guys!!

John

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies Pinball Arcade was the first thing I thought of when I first saw one of these and the link I provided was just a reference to the basic idea. Lag is the biggest concern I would have because I'd be running it via a bluetooth game controller and would probably have to buy a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies Pinball Arcade was the first thing I thought of when I first saw one of these and the link I provided was just a reference to the basic idea. Lag is the biggest concern I would have because I'd be running it via a bluetooth game controller and would probably have to buy a Bluetooth keyboard to go with it.

Moga lag is undetectable for me on the N7 2013. This device would probably offer a similar experience.

Keyboard and mouse lag is normally very minimal, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts