jaredmorgs in San Francisco (4/10/2014 to 4/16/2014)

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
I've not been to San Francisco in forty years. Is Ripleys Believe It or Not still open? And yes on Chinatown. Fishermans Wharf, the restaurant, was really good back then. Don't know if it's become a tourist trap. But have a blast, rent a bike. SF, and California in general, big on bikes. Lanes on roads, lots of bike-only paths.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
A lot of the suggestions are good ones, but some can be kind of touristy. If you download the OpenTable app, you should be able to find lots of good dining choices in San Francisco. That is still the one best thing about San Francisco, the food. My wife and I drive up from the Peninsula all the time to eat there (as well as enjoying the great food down here).

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I've not been to San Francisco in forty years. Is Ripleys Believe It or Not still open? And yes on Chinatown. Fishermans Wharf, the restaurant, was really good back then. Don't know if it's become a tourist trap. But have a blast, rent a bike. SF, and California in general, big on bikes. Lanes on roads, lots of bike-only paths.

I've heard that Fisherman's Wharf is a bit of a trap. But go in there eyes open and I'll be fine.

A lot of the suggestions are good ones, but some can be kind of touristy. If you download the OpenTable app, you should be able to find lots of good dining choices in San Francisco. That is still the one best thing about San Francisco, the food. My wife and I drive up from the Peninsula all the time to eat there (as well as enjoying the great food down here).

I would really appreciate some dining tips for the Mission District. Apart from the usual "go where the most people are" advice.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I lived in San Francisco for a few years in three different neighbourhoods including the Mission District and Fisherman's Wharf (literally around the corner from pier 49).

There are two places I have to frequent when I go to San Francisco: Pancho Villa taqueria which is the best burrito joint on the planet and Zante's Indian pizza which has, well, Indian pizza - if you like pizza and curry it's amazing and a crying shame no one in the UK has done anything similar.

Pancho Villa is on 16th street - it used to be next to the BART station at mission and 16th, but on a nostalgia trip via the Street View app on the Wii U I found that it moved to the opposite corner next to the McDonald's (why anyone would choose that over Pancho Villa, I have no idea), but it's still on 16th Street.

Zante's Indian Pizza used to have a second outlet next to Pancho Villa oddly enough, but that's gone. The original restaurant is still on Mission Street, south of the numbered streets; possibly south of Army/Caesar Chavez. It's on the right as you head toward downtown, but obviously on the left if you're going to the extreme southern end of town.

And yes, Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist trap of overpriced everything. I prefer the wharf at Monterey for that kind of thing. The Italian joints on Columbus are also overpriced by and large, but Pasta Pomodoro (I should think it's still there) is reasonable and good quality. People go to the Stinking Rose, but unless you're easily swayed by having garlic in everything, avoid - it's just gimmicky and not that great compared to other places.

Also on Columbus is a laundromat near Lyle Tuttle studio (where I got a few of my tats) and they used to have at least three pinball machines and a cafe/lounge.

Actually there is a reason to go to Fisherman's Wharf after all. You also cannot be on this board and visit San Francisco without seeing the penny arcade museum which was at Cliff House when I lived there, but has moved since and has pinball machines as well as other attractions: http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/ - that's what I get for not reading the full thread. Actually I'll be visiting family in San Jose in October so I'll have to check some of those pinball places if I get the chance!

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I lived in San Francisco for a few years in three different neighbourhoods including the Mission District and Fisherman's Wharf (literally around the corner from pier 49).

There are two places I have to frequent when I go to San Francisco: Pancho Villa taqueria which is the best burrito joint on the planet and Zante's Indian pizza which has, well, Indian pizza - if you like pizza and curry it's amazing and a crying shame no one in the UK has done anything similar.

Pancho Villa is on 16th street - it used to be next to the BART station at mission and 16th, but on a nostalgia trip via the Street View app on the Wii U I found that it moved to the opposite corner next to the McDonald's (why anyone would choose that over Pancho Villa, I have no idea), but it's still on 16th Street.

Zante's Indian Pizza used to have a second outlet next to Pancho Villa oddly enough, but that's gone. The original restaurant is still on Mission Street, south of the numbered streets; possibly south of Army/Caesar Chavez. It's on the right as you head toward downtown, but obviously on the left if you're going to the extreme southern end of town.

And yes, Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist trap of overpriced everything. I prefer the wharf at Monterey for that kind of thing. The Italian joints on Columbus are also overpriced by and large, but Pasta Pomodoro (I should think it's still there) is reasonable and good quality. People go to the Stinking Rose, but unless you're easily swayed by having garlic in everything, avoid - it's just gimmicky and not that great compared to other places.

Also on Columbus is a laundromat near Lyle Tuttle studio (where I got a few of my tats) and they used to have at least three pinball machines and a cafe/lounge.

Actually there is a reason to go to Fisherman's Wharf after all. You also cannot be on this board and visit San Francisco without seeing the penny arcade museum which was at Cliff House when I lived there, but has moved since and has pinball machines as well as other attractions: http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/ - that's what I get for not reading the full thread. Actually I'll be visiting family in San Jose in October so I'll have to check some of those pinball places if I get the chance!

Great insider tips there, Sean. Thanks for your help. :-D

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
You may need a taxi to and from, but another excellent spot to find a bunch of nice restaurants is Belden Alley (or Belden Place). It's just a little alley between two tall buildings with several amazing restaurants.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
Not surprised about the Wharf. Too bad, it did have good food back then. My parents and I are there before my dad left for Vietnam. But above all, enjoy yourself!

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Have a good time Jared, but mind that when I lived there in the mid-90s, that part of Mission Street was a bit sketchy. During the day you'll be fine, though I'm sure. There used to be a nice Indian market with exotic Indian ice cream by the scoop on Valencia between 16th and 17th I think...just a block over. The shop where I used to get my bike worked on should still be on Valencia as well: Scuderia West - owner had a couple of old Italian racing bikes on display, a Moto Guzzi and a Ducati.

Anyway, report back!

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Have a good time Jared, but mind that when I lived there in the mid-90s, that part of Mission Street was a bit sketchy. During the day you'll be fine, though I'm sure. There used to be a nice Indian market with exotic Indian ice cream by the scoop on Valencia between 16th and 17th I think...just a block over. The shop where I used to get my bike worked on should still be on Valencia as well: Scuderia West - owner had a couple of old Italian racing bikes on display, a Moto Guzzi and a Ducati.

Anyway, report back!

I heard the tenderloin isn't the best either after dark.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I'm a fan of live sport. So, I would go to a Giants baseball match in April.

Nice to see that you care about Linux. :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
oh how cool is that. do you also use Linux on the desktop and plan to buy the linux version of tpa someday?

I choose to use fedora 20 on my laptop. Others choose Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Some folks even prefer to use Apple hardware. The choice is ours: whatever gets the job done.

I don't plan on getting the Steam TPA because playing games on PC doesn't suit my lifestyle. I am very excited it is being offered as an option though!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts