Jersey Jack Pinball

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
They are definitely more ambitious than Stern when it comes to toys and decorations and such. Stern has a tendency to put in cheesy and even tacky props in some cases. Ultimately it comes down to design and fun with enjoyable rules but it is nice to have cool, well done props.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
I still imagine there will be an amount of lag time between initial physical table release and any reproductions. Obviously Farsight would need a few months to take apart and reproduce the table digitally and create all the programming and I doubt they'd have much access, if any, until after the table is officially released.

that is unless FarSight are given access to all the assets - as early as during the digitally assisted planning stages at stern - now how AWESOME would that be! didn't Bobby King state that in the long run they would love to do simultaneous releases?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
that is unless FarSight are given access to all the assets - as early as during the digitally assisted planning stages at stern - now how AWESOME would that be! didn't Bobby King state that in the long run they would love to do simultaneous releases?

Yes, Bobby did state that FarSight wants to look into doing this in the future, but would need cooperation from both Stern and the licensed property the table is based on. It's very possible we could see this in the future.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Apologies for the bump, but this thread is the first I've heard of another manufacturer getting back into the business. I know nothing (other than the name) of their work, ethos etc. Other than their website, where else could I find out some more info?

Of course, if anyone wants to fill me in here (regarding designers etc.) then feel free to do so ;)

Edit: Quick question... is that an LCD on the backglass or is it just nice artwork? I'm not sure how I'd feel about essentially having a screen there... it'd push it too close to Baby Pac-man and Pin2k IMO, neither of which would be a good thing. At most, I'd prefer to see a colour (but still low-res) DMD.
To ramble a bit, to me modern pinball is about a perfect combination of electronic gadgetry and and the physical component of shooting a ball around a table. Once you put a screen on there, you're shifting the balance (and not necessarily in a good way).

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Apologies for the bump, but this thread is the first I've heard of another manufacturer getting back into the business. I know nothing (other than the name) of their work, ethos etc. Other than their website, where else could I find out some more info?

Of course, if anyone wants to fill me in here (regarding designers etc.) then feel free to do so ;)

Edit: Quick question... is that an LCD on the backglass or is it just nice artwork? I'm not sure how I'd feel about essentially having a screen there... it'd push it too close to Baby Pac-man and Pin2k IMO, neither of which would be a good thing. At most, I'd prefer to see a colour (but still low-res) DMD.
To ramble a bit, to me modern pinball is about a perfect combination of electronic gadgetry and and the physical component of shooting a ball around a table. Once you put a screen on there, you're shifting the balance (and not necessarily in a good way).

Yes, it's an LCD.

Here a good resource for JJP/WOZ info:
http://www.pinballnews.com/games/wizardofoz/index.html

Also, a little JJP history:
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/jerseyjack.html

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
That's a shame about it being LCD. Either it means it'll pull talented people away from working on the table/sounds etc. to work on CG, or it'll bring the quality of the whole table down by having lower production values than the rest of the machine. Not a fan of that idea.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's a shame about it being LCD. Either it means it'll pull talented people away from working on the table/sounds etc. to work on CG, or it'll bring the quality of the whole table down by having lower production values than the rest of the machine. Not a fan of that idea.

From what Jersey Jack has stated, the company philosophy is to make tables that fill in a certain niche. Stern is kind of like GM with their standard tables being Chevy's and their LE and Premium tables being Cadillacs. Jersey Jack is going to be more like Bentley with a more "spare no expense" attitude but at a significantly higher cost. Any JJP table will be at LEAST 10k easily.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
True, and I've seen the playfield (looks alright, though not zomg amazing) but I'm concerned the quality of the LCD animation/CG will just look tacky and bring the rest of the game down. Video game cinematics are laughable at the best of times, and with a company this young and no history of working with that sort of tech I'm not exactly filled with confidence... just look at the visuals from RFM and SW:EP1. Not horrid by any stretch, but even with a budget and experience behind it, it still comes off as having C-grade production values.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I think they could've done a lot more with the playfield art too, but we'll see how the finished product looks.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.