Junkyard opinions?

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
I'm expecting it to be not unlike Who Dunnit, in that it's not necessarily a players game, but for a bit of fun and to push a story along it'll be just dandy. In that regard, I'm looking forward to it.

WHO Dunnit seems to be the single most story-centric pinball machine ever released. It looks like you play that one to immerse yourself in a complex story. Junk Yard, on the other hand is no more complex than any other pinball machine: You're playing as a plucky inventor trapped in a junkyard who needs to escape, and you do so by finding junk to build vehicles. Not explained is how he can't use the time machine to get out or why there's a jalopy race inside of the junkyard (or why he can't escape in that way).

It's what TV Tropes calls an "Excuse Plot."

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I'm really looking forward to Junk Yard. Like Whodunnit, JY is a late model Williams that is tough find IRL. It also has a high resell value so I would never think of owning one. Glad FarSight is doing this one.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
WHO Dunnit seems to be the single most story-centric pinball machine ever released. It looks like you play that one to immerse yourself in a complex story. Junk Yard, on the other hand is no more complex than any other pinball machine: You're playing as a plucky inventor trapped in a junkyard who needs to escape, and you do so by finding junk to build vehicles. Not explained is how he can't use the time machine to get out or why there's a jalopy race inside of the junkyard (or why he can't escape in that way).

It's what TV Tropes calls an "Excuse Plot."
I thought it was somewhat a story (not as much as W?D though) in that you collect time machine parts to escape from a junk yard or somethig? I literally know nothing (well, VERY little) about it.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
It is. That's about it. You play as an inventor who finds junk parts to build vehicles so you can escape from the junk yard. The time machine is one of the devices you can assemble (cuckoo clock + television), and that unlocks the optional Time Machine modes.

It's a simple story. It doesn't have the backstories and complex character interactions the way WHO Dunnit? does.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
WD is the peak of pinball storytelling? Hmpf. Really liked the immersion and flow of the story so seamlessly integrated into gameplay Is there really nothing like it?

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
I'm not familiar with any other pinball machines with a level of narrative detail anywhere close to WHO Dunnit. Maybe except for Doctor Who, but most of that is in the manual (and thus away from anyone dropping coins in).

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Barry Oursler seems to have been the "master of story" for the time being. He created Doctor Who, which has a huge one a la the TV serials; Popeye Saves The Earth, a large story which was inspired by Python's crazy mind; WHO dunnit, which is frequently considered the best narrative pin of all time; and Junkyard, which has a story but relatively simple and minor.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Hm...really looking forward to junkyard now, even if it's not that big a story. I really like story driven piball machines, I was always fascinated by the machines themselves, but the day I realized there are rules, goals and even adventures to follow, was when I really fell for it. having had close to zero real table experience until a few months ago, it was pro pinball timeshock that opened my eyes. And WD was hell of a lot of fun to play! The table design itself is not bad either. But now I very much enjoy tables like BK2K and older em's, where it's more about the skill. I think every table leaves room for a good story - it just depends on your imagination :)

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm very curious to see how the wrecking ball turns out. That thing really starts to jump and swing when you whack it. Might be tough to get this to look realistic. Especially during multiball.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Game looks brutal. the tpa physics make the center shot really hard as expected,and the outlanes are nasty.

DUnno if i will enjoy it.

Zombie Aladdin

Mar 28, 2014
On the machine I've played it on, shooting the wrecking ball very rarely results in a center drain. It does, however, frequently send the ball to the slingshots. The outlanes ARE brutal, but that's why you should try to get the Recycle targets lit.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Dang. No Internet on my computer anymore, and that stream won't work on my phone, maybe on the ps3? But yeah, counting down the days/hours. No spoilers can be good too. Usually I'll look up a vid of the real one

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
On the machine I've played it on, shooting the wrecking ball very rarely results in a center drain. It does, however, frequently send the ball to the slingshots. The outlanes ARE brutal, but that's why you should try to get the Recycle targets lit.

Problem is on every Junkyard machine I play, the recycle standups are just as deadly as the entire crane area. So I rarely light recycle even if I try. I have more fun on twilight zone... in real life...

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts