Kickstarter for Pinball Circus or similar rarity instead of T2?

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I'm in for Simpsons Pinball Party and Family Guy.

Ooh for once I get to be the pinball snob and say that I've played both of these real machines recently (actually 2 different Simpsons Pinball Party machines no less). Both of them are very good and I would gladly back a KS for either, but I would give Family Guy the edge. Its a really fun table with a lot to do, with some great (and wonderfully vulgar) humor. Quagmire's commentary of the Peter vs. Rooster fight is hilarious.

Now if there was a possibility for a dual kickstarter for both the Simpsons tables as someone suggested that would be really cool.

As far as a T2 kickstarter I would support it just to support it. Based on how things have gone I would expect to just buy it on release day and give away the free code later to someone that might not get it otherwise.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
As a Kickstarter backer , I'm going to speculate on T2 not making it's goal , this is not mean spirited , just from reading all the replies in these forums by "fans" of this game . The demand for the table is not there , and the good will of Kickstart supporters was disappointed with Farsight's hit N miss adaptions of the premium tables , Twilight Zone was not as good as it should have been , and the difference between what was shown in the preview of the X 360 version and what arrived on PS3 , well I was not happy . Star Trek TNG which I did back with the minimum donation , was pretty nice on PS3 , yet totally mediocre on the PS Vita with bare minimum lighting effects , fuzzy textures , and lack of details. They should re-think going for the Terminator license and as suggested go for a Simpsons or Family Guy , or Flintstones , or the Shadow pinball kickstarter .

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Don't forget that a lot more people know about The Pinball Arcade now. So there should be a larger number of potential Kickstarter supporters. T2 is also a fairly common (seemed like a lot of them out there), popular machine and license. It wouldn't be my first choice but I still think it has a good chance to reach its kickstarter goal.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Don't forget that a lot more people know about The Pinball Arcade now. So there should be a larger number of potential Kickstarter supporters. T2 is also a fairly common (seemed like a lot of them out there), popular machine and license. It wouldn't be my first choice but I still think it has a good chance to reach its kickstarter goal.

Don't forget, a lot of Farsight Kickstarter backers are still struggling to get their codes, or are waiting for platforms to get released (PC), and best not to mention xboxers and Vita players.

As mentioned before, the ones who did get the codes, got them well after the general public could buy the game for a fraction of the minimum KS level (I appreciate that's not why people back these, but release should be prioritised to favour backers).

Also mobile purchasers own their tables when purchased and can play them offline, whereas KS backers are reliant on Farsight servers being up and running for their tables to work (not good years from now).

Twilight Zone should have been the shining jewel in Farsights collection, but wasn't. It and other tables suffer from game ending bugs, and unrealistic levels of difficulty.

There are more points which I'll omit, but the point I was trying to make, is, If asked to guess, I'd have to go with Farsight struggling to make any Kickstarter work even for something of High demand. Make the object something of mid interest, and I'd be certain it would fail.

I'd rethink the next KS to play safe.

This isn't being negative BTW, I'm a big TPA / Farsight fan. I feel this is just the realistic picture.

I hope I'm wrong and the next KS is a runaway success no matter what it is.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I hear you Baron & agree. I meant that even with all the trouble, I still think it has a chance to succeed. I know the first two kickstarters turned off a lot of people. And I don't blame anyone who felt/feels burned by the way it went down. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I think FS will have to do more heavy lifting with this kickstarter. They will need more updates and more/better rewards for kicking in.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Yeah Kolchak, I'd agree with you.

Only one way to find out for sure if it would work!

I'd hate for Farsight to have a failed Kickstart is all.
It might not, but it could put them off doing another, which would mean we'd all miss out.

Whichever table they do I hope it succeeds, but I'd prefer them to play it safe with the current climate personally, and go for the most popular table they can with a low to mid kickstart cost.
Then once that's successful and well executed, aim higher.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
There's a backlash in general towards kickstarters for known quantities.

Zack Braff is in a PR hell right now for funding his second film through kickstarter so that he could retain total control. Counter that with the Veronica Mars kickstarter, where they tried to get it made the traditional way, and the studios were having none of it.

For us players of TPA, it seems the game is doing fine, so the attitude of "why do we have to help again?" creeps in, on top of the general disappointment people have over how the rewards were handled. I'll be very curious to see what they need for T2. If it's 50 grand, I don't know. If it's 35, I think they might be alright. Whatever the case, I don't think they should do any kickstarters after that, and instead find a way to pay for it themselves.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Checkpoint says hi.
And so does Gilligan's Island.
I have a feeling that both were released beforehand (at least, GI was... don't know about Checkpoint) but building/manufacturing commenced after. I'm sure that's what I heard in an interview with Steve Ritchie.

Ah, here it is, on IPDB:
First pinball game with a Dot Matrix Display (DMD) released by Williams/Bally, although Williams' 1991 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day' was the first Williams/Bally standard pinball game *designed* with a DMD. That game took longer to complete the design and begin production and so was released later.

So made, perhaps not. That would come down to semantics, whether there was a proto of it before either of the above tables. And just looked up Checkpoint... yup, completely wrong in that regard :eek:

Chellspecker

Apr 20, 2013
Apologies if I'm not up to speed, but what happened with The Addams Family? Wasn't there going to be a KS campaign for that? Or were the licensing issues with that table too daunting? I remember the name of that table coming up a lot when they did the first KS for Twilight Zone, but haven't heard it much since. That would be a table I think they could kickstart to the tune of $100K. Just a feeling.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Apologies if I'm not up to speed, but what happened with The Addams Family? Wasn't there going to be a KS campaign for that? Or were the licensing issues with that table too daunting? I remember the name of that table coming up a lot when they did the first KS for Twilight Zone, but haven't heard it much since. That would be a table I think they could kickstart to the tune of $100K. Just a feeling.

Welcome to the forum.

The next kickstarter will be for T2. There are currently no plans for an Addams Family kickstarter, as FarSight has not even been able to get an answer as to how much the license would cost. To say the least, if they ever do get an answer, it will for sure require a kickstarter to fund. It's not the license that is daunting, it's that they can't get a conversation even started with certain parties that hold the license. A lot of people say it's Raul Julia's estate that is the hang up, but the Charles Addams estate is equally finicky to deal with. Bobby is more than aware of how much people want this table, and you can be sure that they have not stopped pursuing it. Just don't hold your breath, because it's going to be a VERY long time before we may get it.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Nothing in this months newsletter about the T2 Kickstarter, guess it does make sense to get the PC version out first before they announce it.
Hope they don't miss the window to do it though that shutyertrap mentioned.
On a seperate note both those tables look amazing dtown8532 and spoonman, thanks for sharing

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.