Request Kickstarter Fund

Would you donate for a FarSight Kickstarter fund?

• Yes

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Even if FS gets the funds they need to release Twilight Zone the table would very likely be a few months off. Lots of time to fix bugs, release less expensive tables, grow their userbase, etc. This is by no means an either/or situation.

Animator_pin_fan

Mar 4, 2012
exactly!
I know the Kickstarter fund seems quite out of the ordinary, but since Farsight is such a small niche developer, we should all support them. Remember, big developers wouldn't touch any of these licenses, let alone produce virtual pinball recreations. And I always hear those who are into retro gaming say to themselves, "If there was a way to buy these roms/tables in unadulterated form legally, then I would. Farsight is trying to go above and beyond because they're passionate about bringing us the best pinball simulator around for the foreseeable future. Since a great many of you are expressing that they don't mind paying a premium for TZ, why not instead help by paying now to get it put into development? If you'll pay $15 to 20 dollars, whats the difference if you fork it out ahead of time or when it comes out? Again, for me, I think it's more important to support a developer that is willing to preserve pinball history. I'd rather do that than sit idly by and question their business model, especially when they explained it pretty clearly- either we, those who really love Twilight Zone, step up and get the ball rolling through Kickstarter, or it will just probably not happen at all, otherwise they would not have been so candid with us. Additionally, if this works out and TZ gets funded then released, maybe some other licenses that are out of the questions can also get fan funded. And maybe we, the fans, can pick which ones. STTNG anyone?

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
exactly!
I know the Kickstarter fund seems quite out of the ordinary, but since Farsight is such a small niche developer, we should all support them. Remember, big developers wouldn't touch any of these licenses, let alone produce virtual pinball recreations. And I always hear those who are into retro gaming say to themselves, "If there was a way to buy these roms/tables in unadulterated form legally, then I would. Farsight is trying to go above and beyond because they're passionate about bringing us the best pinball simulator around for the foreseeable future. Since a great many of you are expressing that they don't mind paying a premium for TZ, why not instead help by paying now to get it put into development? If you'll pay $15 to 20 dollars, whats the difference if you fork it out ahead of time or when it comes out? Again, for me, I think it's more important to support a developer that is willing to preserve pinball history. I'd rather do that than sit idly by and question their business model, especially when they explained it pretty clearly- either we, those who really love Twilight Zone, step up and get the ball rolling through Kickstarter, or it will just probably not happen at all, otherwise they would not have been so candid with us. Additionally, if this works out and TZ gets funded then released, maybe some other licenses that are out of the questions can also get fan funded. And maybe we, the fans, can pick which ones. STTNG anyone?

I agree with you 100%. I believe this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for FarSight and the rest of us pinball fanatics to get to play licensed pinball tables on our platform or device of choice. I believe if we let this opportunity slip by and FarSight fails, you'll never see another development studio even attempt to take pinball to the extent FarSight is and you can take that to the bank.

I strongly believe there are enough of us pinball fanatics out there to support FarSight in their quest to bring everyone the best pinball tables of all time (licensed or not). We can't let this fail!

Last edited:

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Agreed on how this could be messy. If the licenses are so high for Twilight Zone, I can't imagine what the costs would be for more of the other tables requested that have big name movies etc. I really like Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones (got a chance to play them for real last month) I'm sure the licenses on those would be huge.

Still though I would pay minimum of $5-7 for those tables. It should be worth it when you consider the tables we will be getting in the next DLC is around $2.50 each.

+1 for LOTR :) One of Stern's best for sure.
I'm lucky enough to have a Williams IJ:TPA and a LOTR on location here.
The LOTR has always had more of a pull for me.
I know VP has it as it's pre SAM. but be great if FS could do an approved version too :)

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Just read the news about the Twilight Zone license. I wouldn't mind paying $25 as long as it's a well made game with no bugs. If I have to pay a bit more for tables with expensive licences I wouldn't mind as long as the price isn't ridiculously high. I have a lot of movie themed tables on my wish list and if paying a bit more helps to get those tables on TPA, I, as a pinball fan would gladly help.

Shinobi100

Apr 13, 2012
Here is the surest proof that FarSight should put tables or groups of tables up for bidding on Kickstarter: A game called "Starlight Inception" was put on Kickstarter, NEEDING $150,000 in donations to get the green light. $150k is no small change. Keep in mind that Inception was a space shooter, akin to the old Star Wars arcade games, a genre that is essentially dead, and FAR less prevalent than pinball in today's society. Keep in mind that the game was being made by developers who hadn't done anything meaningful in over a decade. Keep in mind that the game is only coming out for PC and Vita, and Vita has the smallest install base of any current major system.

And guess what? Inception reached its goal of $150k on the final day. It actually went $8k over its mark.

Now you're telling me that Twilight Zone or Adams Family, the most popular pinball tables of all time, coming to EVERY major system, being made by a HIGHLY respescted developer, couldn't approach donations of 6 figures? The minimum donations could be $5, which I think we'd all agree is acceptable if that means we get to download the game for free. And you'd have to assume there would be some pinball fanatic, Farsight fanboys that would donate $100+.

I think as opposed to putting one table on Kickstarter at a time, put a package. For instance, Adams Family + Twilight Zone + Indiana Jones + Jurassic Park. I'm talking the most expensive licenses that have universal fanbases. Make the minimum donation $15 and watch the cash money flow in. $1,000,000 in donations would not be that far out of reach.

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
Love that idea of a Kickstarter package for those tables or other licensed tables. Count me in.

We gotta get the word out to pinball fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
Maybe i have a nice idea.

Farside has to sell limited caps.

a cap like this one:

http://www.capitate.co.uk/MLB Caps/Yankees PS.jpg

but off course not ney york yankees but a good designed farside cap.

- the cap will be sold for 50 euro/dollar
- the caps will have to be pinball arcade on it, farside
- the cap has to be a logo of the pinball machine which we are raising for
- every cap has to be numbered as a limited cap.
- only sell the right amount of caps and then never sell that particular cap again.
- the cap has to be a quality cap, with good prints. no crap cap.

Maybe sell it for somewhat higher price, can maybe go to 50, dont know, depends on what you need.

What do you think guys? I would deffenatally buy that limited cap for up to 50 euros. Maybe it can raise enough money and you got something back for it.

But, actually, before we make ideas it would be better if we know what amount of money we are talking about. Cause when you need 50k, you need to sell alot of caps.....

But when the costs are not that high, you can raise a good stack of cash with a simple to organise plan.

If you can make a deal with a cap maker, you can mayeb raise 40 euro a cap.

Last edited:

Captain Rumwood

Apr 25, 2012
I hope FarSight decides to go through with Kickstarter despite some negative feedback on Facebook about it.

I think that the majority of fans are willing to help out. FarSight should listen to the people interested and not let the negative few discourage their efforts on bringing the fans one of the most popular pinball games of all time.

I read that the Kickstarter Fund is up. Since Im at work, my access is blocked to read the link with the details.

Today's pay day for me, so I guess I will make my donation sometime during the weekend.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
For those who might not be on facebook. Here is the post.

We’ve received many requests to bring the Twilight Zone pinball table to the Pinball Arcade. This table was released by Midway under the Bally label and is unquestionably one of the greatest pinball tables of all time (in fact it’s current...ly #1 in user rankings on the Internet Pinball Database!) We’ve finally succeeded in negotiating all of the licenses we’d need to bringthe Twilight Zone to the Pinball Arcade. Unfortunately when we add up the costs of each required license and calculate what we’d have to charge for the table, we’ve realized that the Twilight Zone is just not commercially viable. So we’ve decided to try crowd-funding the cost of the licenses. We’ve set up a Kickstarter project for the Twilight Zone (just the licenses, not the development costs- we’ll cover all of those ourselves). If we can raise enough money through Kickstarter we’ll be able to digitize the Twilight Zone and preserve one of the greatest pinball tables of all time. If we don’t reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more than our goal we’ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well (like Star Trek: The Next Generation!) We’ve put together a tempting list of rewards to say “thank you” for helping out. Plus the top five contributors will get their initials featured as the default high scores for the table, immortalizing them as true pinball fanatics! Check out our Kickstarter site and video using the link below. Please join us!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
$55K is needed! :/
I'm thinking of $10 :)
It goes $10 to $10K! - and $100 is:

$100 +YOU SELECTED
Get a special version of the Twilight Zone pinball table with access to the table operator’s menu on every platform (again, except the Xbox 360). You'll also get an entry into the Pinball Arcade Supporters Tournament!
Est. Delivery: Nov 2012

(Does this mean the Operator Menus will always be shut? :( That'd be a shame)

PS. I'd suggest more tranches of awards-and maybe some 'physical stuff' -
- who knows you maybe able to talk me up from $10 ;)

Andy

PS. Was at $7K+ when I just looked.

Last edited:

Frostyglitch

Apr 3, 2012
For those who might not be on facebook. Here is the post.

We’ve received many requests to bring the Twilight Zone pinball table to the Pinball Arcade. This table was released by Midway under the Bally label and is unquestionably one of the greatest pinball tables of all time (in fact it’s current...ly #1 in user rankings on the Internet Pinball Database!) We’ve finally succeeded in negotiating all of the licenses we’d need to bringthe Twilight Zone to the Pinball Arcade. Unfortunately when we add up the costs of each required license and calculate what we’d have to charge for the table, we’ve realized that the Twilight Zone is just not commercially viable. So we’ve decided to try crowd-funding the cost of the licenses. We’ve set up a Kickstarter project for the Twilight Zone (just the licenses, not the development costs- we’ll cover all of those ourselves). If we can raise enough money through Kickstarter we’ll be able to digitize the Twilight Zone and preserve one of the greatest pinball tables of all time. If we don’t reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more than our goal we’ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well (like Star Trek: The Next Generation!) We’ve put together a tempting list of rewards to say “thank you” for helping out. Plus the top five contributors will get their initials featured as the default high scores for the table, immortalizing them as true pinball fanatics! Check out our Kickstarter site and video using the link below. Please join us!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1067367405/pinball-arcade-the-twilight-zone

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Halfway home! I kicked in $10 even though I play on Xbox 360. If you guys could just give out straight up Microsoft points codes in the amount of the Twilight Zone DLC that would be super. I know MSFT won't issue download tokens for DLC. If not then I will just buy it and give my iPhone code away to a friend and feel good knowing I helped make it happen.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Would be nice to see a graph of the progress made over the days it's been up. This was started, what, 4 days ago? Already up to 31,780 of the 55,000 needed. I think TZ is close to a lock.

So with TNG, do they collect everything over the $55,000 and start up a second one for the remaining funds needed?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Would be nice to see a graph of the progress made over the days it's been up. This was started, what, 4 days ago? Already up to 31,780 of the 55,000 needed. I think TZ is close to a lock.

So with TNG, do they collect everything over the $55,000 and start up a second one for the remaining funds needed?

Depends, the Star Trek License is huge with tons of non-pinball interested folks buying everything related. You might see a push when we're close to 55000 from all those people pouring in.

Members online

Members online