Android - Request Leaderboard on multiple Devices

Unicate

Mar 12, 2013
All the time I am reinstalling the game or if I change the device, my highscores are reset. This is very frustrating.

And :
Are you planning to implement the "Play Games" libraries?
That would be easier than synching high scores via Facebook.

Thanks for the great game, anyways.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
All the time I am reinstalling the game or if I change the device, my highscores are reset. This is very frustrating.

Why are you always re-installing?

Betas can be installed over the top of market releases and vice versa if that's why.

You can back up your highscores and goals already though.it just takes a little work.

If rooted, back this file up here...
SAVE DATA = /DATA/DATA/COM.FARSIGHT.ANDROIDPINBALL.JAVAPROJECT/FILES/saved_data

If not rooted 'Helium' https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup does work but you have to move the table rez files prior to the Helium Backup. Other wise Helium attempts to back up all table data, as well as highscores and goals (700mb) and it just overloads and fails.

Table data Rez files can be accessed non rooted, using any file explorer, but here's my choice... 'File Explorer'
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer
Browse to this location...
TABLE DATA = /MNT/SDCARD/ANDROID/DATA/COM.FARSIGHT.ANDROIDPINBALL.JAVAPROJECT/FILES/...

Helium Backup procedure :-
On the donor device, rename the entire folder 'Files' to be 'FilesXXX' or similar, then use Helium to backup in conjunction with 'Google Drive' which you may also want to install from here...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs
Once Helium Backup is complete, you need to rename 'FileTEMP' or whatever you named it back to 'Files' again - this makes the table rez files visible to the TPA app again. Running Helium will probably have caused another file called 'Files' but with no data in it to be created. Delete this prior to renaming 'FilesXXX' back to 'Files'.

On the recipient device (note donor and recipient could be the same device) to restore the Google drive backed up data, a rename of the 'Files' folder isn't sufficient for a restore.
You need to rename and move the folder to a different location to protect your table data. So rename the 'Files' folder, and move it to another location.
Run Helium restoring the backed up data from Google drive. Before you do anything else, run and quit TPA. This will again have created a new 'Files' folder with no data in it - delete this new folder.
If you don't do the run & delete the first time you start TPA it deletes all your table data.
Rename the original folder you renamed, back to be 'Files' again and move it back to its correct location. Job done.
(alternatively you could just re-download each rez file for a simpler life, but with quite a few tables now and growing, this is getting to be a large amount of data)

This although not dead easy, is the easiest work around until we get Cloud save.

You can also backup non-root through ADB available here available here...
http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html
But Jared will talk you through that one.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I think you should promote this info to a sticky, Baron. I'll sticky it once you have written it up.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Why not just sticky the existing thread about backing up non rooted devices?

I'm looking for a summarized post like I created for controller support, Android sound, etc. All the info you need, in the first post. No digging or scrolling. Hot and ready to eat.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I'm looking for a summarized post like I created for controller support, Android sound, etc. All the info you need, in the first post. No digging or scrolling. Hot and ready to eat.

Just copy paste whatever you want out of post #2 and add your ADB section. Feel free!

Unicate

Mar 12, 2013
Yes, I could backup my highscores. But I should not have to take care of that. And some of my friends do not know how to do that.

You cannot expect everyone to have a rooted phone.

Therefore this is a request and not a question.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
1- Yes, I could backup my highscores. But I should not have to take care of that. And some of my friends do not know how to do that.
2- You cannot expect everyone to have a rooted phone.
3- Therefore this is a request and not a question.

I itemised the sections of your quoted post for simplicity.
Re-
1- The bottom line is, unless this changes and it's been out 2 years now, you do have to do it yourself, or you can keep losing your scores/goals if you prefer.
Re your friends - really impress them and show them how this is done. Or direct them here and let them learn for themselves.

2- I don't expect anyone to root their phone - mine isn't, my tablet is. I actually strongly recommend people don't root unless they have a very good reason, and a strong understanding of what they are doing.
Hence why the instructions in post #2 covered both rooted and non-rooted devices.

3- I have made the same request myself many times over the last 2 years. In the meantime this is one of several workarounds.
Only tried to help you out - I'll know better next time.

Did you know Farsight have a Facebook page?
https://m.facebook.com/pinballarcade?id=255539697800431&_rdr
You'll fit right in on there. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.