Lighting

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Back on topic of the internal games lighting. I recently snagged a copy of PBHOF. The ball physics are significantly slower and worse, though not bad by any means, just that PBA set a new standard clearly. But again I'm preferring the brighter look all around of the tables. Now I don't want to say "better lighting", because PBA has superior lighting. Just take MM for example. The way the light sources reflect off the castle, especially the drawbridge, looks fantastic and is a significant improvment. Lighting "effects" are much better, but the general brightness of the tables is much better in PBHOF, you can see the details in the tables and it just pops really really well.

Same thing with the iOS versions. Technically downgraded lighting and lighting effects, but significantly brighter tables and the detail just pops. After playing NGG on HOF and then seeing a screen grab of the PBA version, this is EXTREMELY apparent. I appreciate a darker lighting scheme, as this is pinball and they are games that are best played in the dark, but we really need an option for a brighter scheme. Some tables look fine darker, like Cirqus Voiltaire or Arabian Nights, but NGG looks like **** with the current scheme. I'm a little harder on this one because I've played it IRL quite a bit, and one of the first things you notice is just how much the color pops on that thing, even in a dimly lit room.

Also on NGG, in the real version, the plastics are completely clear, and you can see all the detail underneath. On the PBA version, you can barely see through them at all, killing the playfield detail underneath. Not sure if this is due to the lower, dulled contrast or the new lighting engine, or if for some reason they just decided to recolor the plastics, but in any case it looks bad. It's an early build, so a lot can change between now and release, so hopefully they address these issues. It's a Lawlor board so it deserves the best treatment.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.