Mandatory PSN Plus subscription

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
plus is already awesome.. way better value than Live when it comes to the amount of free games you get, also a lot of very nice discounts... sony randomly hands out $10-$20 to people while microsoft gives you 80mp on your birthday... LOL

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, I've gotten free money from PS+ a couple of times. There's also the online backup of all your saves, the automatic patching of games, the automatic patching of systems (some may see this as bad but it can be turned off) and so on. Tons of great discounts on games - which you continue to own even if your PS+ expires - plus all the free games (the "rentals") that you get. Just in the last several weeks, we've gotten Sleeping Dogs, Deux Ex: Human Revolution, and Saint's Row 3 for free. Those are quality, big-time releases - free.

Rafie

Jul 17, 2012
PS Plus is an UNBEATABLE online service atm. There is literally no other service that does this. Who wouldn't get PS Plus is the question! Well obviously the guy that cancelled, but the service is well worth it and it pays for itself and more. Don't know when you cancelled, but it has only gotten better. To each their own I suppose.

Palmer Eldritch

Dec 17, 2012
Yeah, I've gotten free money from PS+ a couple of times. There's also the online backup of all your saves, the automatic patching of games, the automatic patching of systems (some may see this as bad but it can be turned off) and so on. Tons of great discounts on games - which you continue to own even if your PS+ expires - plus all the free games (the "rentals") that you get. Just in the last several weeks, we've gotten Sleeping Dogs, Deux Ex: Human Revolution, and Saint's Row 3 for free. Those are quality, big-time releases - free.

actually when it auto-downloads firmware it doesn't auto-install it, it just puts it on your hard drive waiting to be unpacked and installed (go to check new firmware -> install from drive)

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
The only game I really play on the PS3 is TPA, thus PS+ wouldn't pay for me. I have a very busy life and I wish I had more time to play but unfortunately I don't. If instead of a few hours per week I had a few hours per day, I'd get a Plus subscription. I will keep my PS3 (heck, we should still have the 2600 at my parents' place somewhere), so PS3-via-the-network-emulated-on-Sony's-end is not necessary.

For "online" I just care about the leaderboards, not about the ability to save and share online games.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Plus NOT Mandatory for the PS4

The only game I really play on the PS3 is TPA, thus PS+ wouldn't pay for me. I have a very busy life and I wish I had more time to play but unfortunately I don't. If instead of a few hours per week I had a few hours per day, I'd get a Plus subscription. I will keep my PS3 (heck, we should still have the 2600 at my parents' place somewhere), so PS3-via-the-network-emulated-on-Sony's-end is not necessary.

For "online" I just care about the leaderboards, not about the ability to save and share online games.

In that case if you decided to get a PS4 you wouldn't even need to get Plus. Despite the title of this thread it will NOT be mandatory.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013

That's the problem with this mandatory. On PS3, if you want to play some games online, let's say during the week-end , it's OK. And if you can't play for two weeks or more, it doesn't matter.

On PS4, if you just want to play online time to time, you must pay!! WTF.

Everybody says: "It's not a problem to pay, we have tons of free games coming with the subscription". OK... and what's the point to have 10+ games on your hard drive if you don't have time to play each (and I mean in depth...)?

Moreover, modern games have a very short game time in solo (10 hours for the longest), most of the content are now in online multiplayer (Uncharted 3 by example).

So, we can say that on PS4, it will be: you don't pay, you don't play! Or you just enjoy half of the game you have purchased (at high price).

Well, I'll stick with my PS3, playing when I want, offline and online.

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Sony has also said that it will be up to the individual game publishers to decide whether or not the online multiplayer for their game requires a Plus subscription. At least, that's what I seem to remember from later E3 articles.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
In that case if you decided to get a PS4 you wouldn't even need to get Plus. Despite the title of this thread it will NOT be mandatory.

Indeed! Especially for TPA, which only has leader boards. Sony clarified that only "real time online multiplayer" will require the Plus membership. In other words, online leader boards and other basic online features will still remain free.

Sony has also said that it will be up to the individual game publishers to decide whether or not the online multiplayer for their game requires a Plus subscription. At least, that's what I seem to remember from later E3 articles.

That only applies to free-to-play games.

Jim

Mar 23, 2013
That's the problem with this mandatory. On PS3, if you want to play some games online, let's say during the week-end , it's OK. And if you can't play for two weeks or more, it doesn't matter.

On PS4, if you just want to play online time to time, you must pay!! WTF.

Everybody says: "It's not a problem to pay, we have tons of free games coming with the subscription". OK... and what's the point to have 10+ games on your hard drive if you don't have time to play each (and I mean in depth...)?

Moreover, modern games have a very short game time in solo (10 hours for the longest), most of the content are now in online multiplayer (Uncharted 3 by example).

So, we can say that on PS4, it will be: you don't pay, you don't play! Or you just enjoy half of the game you have purchased (at high price).

Well, I'll stick with my PS3, playing when I want, offline and online.

This is basically my situation right now. I only play online occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) when I have some friends on and the time for it. We play some quick matches of Street Fighter / Virtua Fighter, maybe a few races on Burnout. Nothing major, but I can't really justify a Plus membership for only two days a week at the most.

My concern is that once the PS4 launches, SONY will also make the Plus membership mandatory for the PS3 (this is actually very likely to happen). If this happens, I can kiss online goodbye because Plus makes no sense for the little use I would get out of it. It's just a shame that my ability to play some simple games online with friends across the country would be cut short because of this (totally unnecessary) decision.

--Jim

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
My concern is that once the PS4 launches, SONY will also make the Plus membership mandatory for the PS3 (this is actually very likely to happen). If this happens, I can kiss online goodbye because Plus makes no sense for the little use I would get out of it.

--Jim

I'm not sure but I remember that I read a Sony statement about this: PS3 online will remain free.

Mandatory Plus subscription on PS4 is already enough greedy... If Sony takes the same decision for PS3, it will be a big middle finger toward the community.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
If you're a plus member, you should be getting a pile of games for FREE every month - at least 1 every week... and they're good as long as you keep your plus membership active.

That alone makes it far more worthwhile than Xbox Live Gold. Though, at least Gold can be found on sale often enough (you're an idiot to pay full price for it), Plus has really only been on sale once

If you're only using it for online gaming, you're missing out.

Heck, TPA is currently free for North America for Plus members.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'm coming from being a live user so I'm not really going to be inconvenienced in any way. If anything PS plus has forced ms to start dropping free games on live

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
New selection of game on PSN+ available now (for "free"):

Battlefield 3 – 100% off
Payday: The Heist – 100% off
Saints Row The Third – 100% off

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
And a huge summer sale going on. I just picked up batman arkham asylum, prince of Persia forgotten sands, mortal kombat, and shadow of the colossus for a little under 20 bucks. Along with the free games, it's going to take me days to download all this stuff.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
New selection of game on PSN+ available now (for "free"):

Battlefield 3 – 100% off
Payday: The Heist – 100% off
Saints Row The Third – 100% off
Payday has been free for a loooong time. It's been sitting on my hard drive for almost a year.

Saint's Row was made free a week or two ago.

The new freebie this week is Battlefield 3.

In the last several weeks, we've gotten SR3, BF3, LBP Karting, UC3 and Sleeping Dogs as free titles. Those are big-time, name products. PS+ once again showing itself to be a great value.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Payday has been free for a loooong time. It's been sitting on my hard drive for almost a year.

Saint's Row was made free a week or two ago.

The new freebie this week is Battlefield 3.

In the last several weeks, we've gotten SR3, BF3, LBP Karting, UC3 and Sleeping Dogs as free titles. Those are big-time, name products. PS+ once again showing itself to be a great value.

Should have added PSN+ EU :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.