Midway's sports games (Blitz, Hitz, SlugFest, etc.)

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Been on a Midway sports kick recently and tried out a bunch of their sports titles through Dolphin. At least, the ones I didn't try yet (I already had NHL Hitz Pro and RedCard 20-03). Thus far my fav's been NHL Hitz 20-03. Absolute fun. It's fast, it's frantic, it's the usual Midway arcade-style kind of game. And the minigames are pretty fun too, Shooting Gallery mostly (2-on-2 on a rooftop shooting pucks at windows. Awesome). Blitz and SlugFest are pretty fun too, and RedCard's alright.

Discuss your favs here, whether it's the classics like NBA Jam, NBA Hangtime and 2 on 2 Open Ice, or the later ones like NFL Blitz, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey and NHL Hitz.

RELATED-ISH: Interestingly enough, the special thanks section on NFL Blitz Pro's credits has FarSight mentioned. Anyone from FS care to weigh in on this?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I enjoyed Blitz until Blitz the league came out. It became more of a simulation at that point and had a less frantic pace. Hitz was always good. The older hockey games like Open Ice were okay but the NBA jam forula didn't translate to hockey. Gretzky 3d was actually better for being more of a simulation. Slugfest was also pretty enjoyable, if for no other reason the Home Run Derby mode. Ballers was good as well when it first started and then as it added more players it became too crowded. The new NBA Jam by EA was great and it is basically a continuation of the old Midway games (the acclaim version was horrible and bore no resemblance to the earlier entries.

LanceBoyle

Jul 5, 2013
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Ballers. Wonder how those compare to the NBA Street games.

Also, as for Jam, I do understand that the majority of the Acclaim ones are really just NBA Live ripoffs instead of Jam, with the probable exceptions of Extreme and the 2003 one, which is probably why they stink so much. And yeah, EA's new one is pretty damn awesome. I still gotta try out their newer Blitz, though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I loved hitz pro until me and my friend found a 100% glitch shot that ruined it for us as one of our dump in strategies resulted in a goal every time. Slugfest is worth playing just for the commentary alone

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I put many a quarter into Blitz when it first hit the arcades.

If you enjoy Slugfest, also check out The Bigs on 360 and PS3.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I put many a quarter into Blitz when it first hit the arcades.

If you enjoy Slugfest, also check out The Bigs on 360 and PS3.

Is the commentary nearly as funny as it was in slugfest? That was the main draw for me really. Though I loved the fact that slugfest had a button specifically for violence.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Is the commentary nearly as funny as it was in slugfest? That was the main draw for me really. Though I loved the fact that slugfest had a button specifically for violence.

Blitz kind of started all of that. In fact I would say it influenced some of the old shows that I can't remember that were Japanese obstacle courses dubbed into English.

NBA jam had one liners but blitz had actual commentary (not as much as slugfest).

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
I loved hitz pro until me and my friend found a 100% glitch shot that ruined it for us as one of our dump in strategies resulted in a goal every time. Slugfest is worth playing just for the commentary alone
I did too...I only rented it but the wonky goals killed it for me. Have like a 2 goal lead near the end and the AI starts blasting goals in from center ice. Thanks for letting yourself catch up game.
Would love to see another NBA Street.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I did too...I only rented it but the wonky goals killed it for me. Have like a 2 goal lead near the end and the AI starts blasting goals in from center ice. Thanks for letting yourself catch up game.
Would love to see another NBA Street.

Actually, my gripe was that we had found a goal that never failed for us. Honestly I could probably score 20 or 30 times a game, and since it was a result of something that was just part of my non aggressive forechecking strategy, it was really hard to just...not do.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
NFL Blitz 2000 Quotes...well some of them.

After the play:
"Oh, knocked to the dead."
"Becomes one with the field!"
"Mauls him!"
"Ow! Somebody scrape that guy of the field."
"Ow! Somebody peel him off the turf."
"Rocks his world!"
"Oooooohh, he's going to feel that!"
"YES!"
"Hammered him!"
"Pounds him!"
"Oohhhh, man!"