Mixing games on real life tables

etchie

Sep 4, 2014
I wasn't previously aware of this, but apparently you can put pinball game software on a totally different table. I frequent a bar that changes tables pretty often (3 at a time) and yesterday I went in and found that they had gotten a Shrek table. Apparently, the other regular players were annoyed because there were a lot of sound fx used on the table and it got irritating real fast. I don't know firsthand because I wasn't there for it. Anyway, the guy that owns the machines was there and said he could fix that. This was his fix:

2vK956N.jpg

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Shrek and Family Guy are the exact same physical machine. Look at pictures of the playfields. Everything's in the same place, it's just different art. That's the only reason why it works with those two machines.

ROMs are not generally interchangeable like that, even between the Pro/Premium/LE versions of the same machine.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
You can swap ROMs freely between The Addams Family and TAF Gold. The playfields are the same, the Gold ROM just adds some new rules, modes, and call-outs.

If you know where to look, you'll see that Farsight purchased a regular TAF table with a Gold ROM. Presumably they got a regular ROM from another source and just did palette swaps for the Gold playfield and cabinet art.

etchie

Sep 4, 2014
This makes a lot more sense. I figured it had to be something like that, but I've never played the Family Guy table. Weird to see though, isn't it?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts