Mobile tournament starting May 29

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Scores are updated every 5 minutes? Kinda freaking out because my 143m on CV hasn't reheated yet. I had time to go get beer, which must've been 20 minutes ago. Basically what I did was get ringmaster Battle, and managed to keep it going for a long time. I was just trying to survive, but really it was just enough to keep it going. Also I had a really good juggler multiball. Didn't even complete the final wizard mode. I was playing step 2 while it cut me off.

Anyone else having problems with scores not registering?

Maggie

Jan 8, 2015
In my experience it often takes considerably more than 5 minutes to register, but it always does eventually.

Awesome CV score!

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Quote from TPA's Facebook:

I also found a bug in the tournament.

I deliberately scored the lowest scores on all 8 tables by tilting and got 1 point on each one, but my total score at the moment is 480 points which places me 40th.

The Overall Tournament Score (in points) is not the addition of all the table scores. It's an "average" score calculated from the score of the others players. Even if you are last on all the tables, you rank before the people who don't play all the tables.

For example: you have only 1 point on High Speed, that gives you rank 141. But it means you're before 660 players (who didn't play on High Speed), as there is a total of 701 players in the tourney.

If all the 701 players would have played on all the 8 tables, you will be indeed 701th on the global ranking. ;)

Last edited:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Yeah but he was 40th! Not 401st. 40/701 by scoring last on all 8 tables?

He scores last on all tables but he has a score on all tables.

The 140 players before him on High Speed are not necessarly the same 140 players before him on Cue Ball Wizard. And all the players before him on all the tables doesn't mean that all these same players have played on all tables.

An example:

Let's take a player called Tommy, who plays only on High Speed and take the first rank. It gives him 100 points on the Table Ranking (but a lot less on the Overall Ranking). Tommy doesn't play on the other 7 tables (because he doesn't own them or whatever).

Even if he's before Flipperdeflip on High Speed, Flipperdeflip is before him on the other 7 tables (even with his weak scores), as Tommy hasn't scored on them.

And so, Flipperdeflip is also before Tommy on the overall ranking. It makes sense to favorite people who play on all the tables. Because it wouldn't be normal that a player who scores only on one table (even greatly) to be ranked before a player that scores on all the tables (even poorly).

And given the screenshots, we can see that not a lot of people have played on all the tables (barely 2 hundreds players in average per table). That's why Flipperdeflip is 40th about 701 participants.

EDIT:

An other example:

The Table Points (100pts for the 1st, 90 for the 2nd... 1.0 for the last) is just an indication on how you perform compared to the best score on a particular table, not on how you perform in the overall tournament.

For a given table, behind Flipperdeflip, there are all the players who have 0 point on this table, but they are not listed.

Last edited:

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
It does surprise me very much that out of 701 players, only 40 had played all 8 tables.
I still don't really understand it. Don't try to explain it again though.:eek:

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
It does surprise me very much that out of 701 players, only 40 had played all 8 tables.
I still don't really understand it. Don't try to explain it again though.:eek:

:cool:

Well, Jack-Bot and Xenon are really recent released tables. HD3 and CV are really old released tables. Central Park is considered as one of the less interesting table.
A lot of TPA players just pick the tables they desire. And the season 1 tables are not very polished compared to the more recent S4 tables. So, it's absolutely possible that only 40 people out of 701 own all the 8 tables.

I see you play on PS3. I play in the Gold tier, and there is an average of 100 players per tournament. But on all the table rankings during a tournament, there is an average of 80-90 players.

So it means that ~80% of the players have all the tables.

Here, on this mobile tournament, there are 701 participants, but we see that only 141 players have played on High Speed... We can deduce that barely 20% of the players own High Speed.

But on the 140 players who own High Speed, how many own also Central Park (only 167 players on this table)? The 140 players of High Speed are not necessarly among the 167 players of Central Park. And so on.

By doing that for all tables, the probability that a lot of players own all the 8 tables is low.

Last edited:

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
I qualified for the gold tier a few tourneys back but when it came to promotion it knocked me back to bronze. I should have been silver last time but it did the same. Let's see if if puts me in silver for this new tournament, I qualified for it, yet again.
The PS3 tournament is meant to start tomorrow isn't it? I really love playing the tournament weeks but the way they are run is shambolic.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
The PS3 tournament is meant to start tomorrow isn't it? I really love playing the tournament weeks but the way they are run is shambolic.

Yep, a PSN tournament is meant to start tomorrow. But the last time, it started two days later than the announced date in the newsletter, and finished two days earlier than the announced date in the game.:rolleyes:

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
The Overall Tournament Score (in points) is not the addition of all the table scores. It's an "average" score calculated from the score of the others players. Even if you are last on all the tables, you rank before the people who don't play all the tables.

That's not logical at all. Why give a player a certain score on a table and then don't use that score in the overall scoring list? I should have 8 points, not 480.

I'd really like to see FarSight's stance and explanation on this scoring system.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
In my experience it often takes considerably more than 5 minutes to register, but it always does eventually.

Awesome CV score!

Thanks! Was worried I wouldn't be able to collect my bonus at the end.because of the 20 second ball saver on step 2. But at the very last few seconds, it let me drain. CV is one of those fun tables that I had forgotten about. So I'll probably keep playing it after I get a better Jackbot score

But yeah, I should've known it would register. The 25 minute wait was pretty crazy though. Right after I posted, it refisted, but I was too lazy to edit my post

You guys talking about how it scores... I never realized that. But it makes total sense. Cause the way I do it is just get a score on each table (whether it's good or bad). Then I'll just keep playing whatever table has the worst score. So right now I should be playing Jackbot. Also I didn't think about all those people that don't own the tables.

Flipperdeflip

Feb 17, 2015
You guys talking about how it scores... I never realized that. But it makes total sense. Cause the way I do it is just get a score on each table (whether it's good or bad). Then I'll just keep playing whatever table has the worst score. So right now I should be playing Jackbot. Also I didn't think about all those people that don't own the tables.

How does it make sense?

Your individual score of Jackbot might be low, but who knows how many points got calculated for it in the end result. Certainly not the points that are shown on the individual table. So it's pure guessing which table will get you a lot more points.

I think FarSight need to clarify how they calculate the points, because there seems no logic behind it.

Gus

Mar 5, 2014
Yeah it makes sense the way Tann explains it. Incentive to buy all tables I guess. I added my scores from the separate tables and they don't sum up to the overall score, but it's pretty close. I usually do the same as Extork - play all tables once or twice, and then replay the table I think I can improve the most. That would be Central Park probably, but that table feels so random to me. Score 800 on one ball, and then 200 on the next three balls combined... It's cool to see that Pharo is on top of CP. He scored 3M on Genie last tourney, so he's the EM king :)

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Yeah, I wouldn't mind if a FS emp cleared things up about how it scores. But something tells me Gus's got this in the bag. Crusty Booger is the closest and still like 60 some points away.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
That's not logical at all. Why give a player a certain score on a table and then don't use that score in the overall scoring list?

Because a guy who scores greatly only on one table (and doesn't post a score on the others tables) could beat a guy who scores poorly, but on all tables. Not logical at all.

As I said, the Table points are just an indication on how you perform on a table, compared to the best score on this table. It is not used to calculate your overall ranking, for the reason stated above.

Your overall ranking is extrapolated from your ranking on each table and the ranking of all the others players (even those who didn't play on a table). And given your screenshots, on each table, you're better ranked than an average of 600 players (because they didn't play on these tables, they have no scores, so they have 0 points).

;)

Last edited:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Better listen to Tann. I've never even heard the word 'extrapolated'. It sounds like the next generation of terminators. Maybe FS has a team of terminators crunching the numbers. That makes the most sense to me

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Better listen to Tann. I've never even heard the word 'extrapolated'. It sounds like the next generation of terminators. Maybe FS has a team of terminators crunching the numbers. That makes the most sense to me

:D

I wasn't sure it was the same word that in french. ^^ We french, when we don't know the english word, we just make sound a french word in an english way. Extrapoler= Extrapolate.

Lucky this time, it's indeed the correct word in english.

^^

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.