Android - Request Move to SD Card - Part II

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
[MENTION=4573]Scumble373[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3799]FlippyFloppy[/MENTION]

The section required is:

developer.android.com/guide/topics/data/install-location.html

UPDATE
If you read the second bullet point on that page, you'll notice that only the app is moved. Note the .apk file seems to be the only thing movable. User Data, Dbs, .dex files, and native code seem to remain on device. I don't know if that applies to the table store as well. Developer investigation required..

The only thing you guys would need to watch is being compatible with API versions older than Level 8, which is Android 2.2.

I seriously doubt anyone is still running Froyo on any devices capable of running TPA at acceptable framerates.

All you need to do is add into the manifest the android:installLocation="auto" attribute.

This will let us move the table files onto our external SD cards.

That is, quite seriously, it. A 10 minute code change (arbitrary time chosen due to one line of code in the build manifest), then a quick passthrough by us as a beta before releasing the change to Google Play.

Last edited:

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
A separate issue here is one that [MENTION=2280]Baron Rubik[/MENTION] and many others have raised on numerous occasions.

That is the saved_data file being in the /system/data/data/com.farsight.../ directory. Unless you are rooted, you can't access this file. What you need to do is move this into /sdcard/Android/data/com.Farsight.../

This is the bit in Post#20 that I was suggesting would need a mv script to be implemented in the build and move the data over.

I would suggest a staged approach to this.

When installing the beta with this feature implemented, I would suggest moving the data with the appropriate command first, but leaving the old data in the old /data/data/ location. Or at least making a .bak or something we could fall back to.

Once you've done that, you could get the app to move the saved_data over to the correct /sdcard/Android/data/com.farsight.../ structure.

The other option here is to "just implement" (in scare quotes because I know it's not as simple as "just implement") GPG services and have cloud save sync the data across all your devices.

A quick and dirty mv command would probably suffice in the short term though and solve an issue that has been hanging ever since the game was released back in 2012.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.