PS3 Muted colors/lighting in some PS3 tables

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
These PS3 shots are simply washed out.
Just to clarify, as I'm not sure from your comment, but the above shots from the PS3 version are accurate as to what people (at least me & the guy who took them) are seeing on our PS3s. The video you posted was from the 360 version - the stuff we're seeing on the PS3 is vastly different.

Tabe

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
That's no doubt the unreleased XBox 360 version.

Here is what is wrong with Harley Davidson PS3 I have not previously pointed out, it's too much blue , as if someone had the blue scale or cool colors selection set to on, contrast might be too high as well , as the blacks even in HDMI enabled PS3 are not inky . Luckily these are really easy fixes , as for the table lighting , the PS3 is more capable of making the flashing lighting seen in the video than a 360 , the PS3 team needs to bring our Harley Davidson to the same quality as the 360 team uses in making that version. Defects are to be expected , but normally we can see that the table model renders and lighting are high quality . Not this time , or for that matter in pack 6 , the lighting makes the tables , on the last 4 tables I've seen disappointing lighting effects. Someone at FarSight should acknowledge this and patch it in the future . Great job on making those tables fun to play, now make them prettier .

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
NGG is missing light bulbs under the kickers, you can see a blank hole where there should be a light and it would probably light them up since they're so dark.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Just to clarify, as I'm not sure from your comment, but the above shots from the PS3 version are accurate as to what people (at least me & the guy who took them) are seeing on our PS3s. The video you posted was from the 360 version - the stuff we're seeing on the PS3 is vastly different.

Tabe

Right, we agree. I should have been more clear with my comments.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The first 4 tables looked great on PS3, but they've seemed to have gone downhill since then. Hopefully they can make some improvements.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
That's no doubt the unreleased XBox 360 version.

Here is what is wrong with Harley Davidson PS3 I have not previously pointed out, it's too much blue , as if someone had the blue scale or cool colors selection set to on, contrast might be too high as well , as the blacks even in HDMI enabled PS3 are not inky . Luckily these are really easy fixes , as for the table lighting , the PS3 is more capable of making the flashing lighting seen in the video than a 360 , the PS3 team needs to bring our Harley Davidson to the same quality as the 360 team uses in making that version. Defects are to be expected , but normally we can see that the table model renders and lighting are high quality . Not this time , or for that matter in pack 6 , the lighting makes the tables , on the last 4 tables I've seen disappointing lighting effects. Someone at FarSight should acknowledge this and patch it in the future . Great job on making those tables fun to play, now make them prettier .

Exactly. It's almost as if the the person who was in charge of adjusting the image (contrast, RGB, etc.) is color blind. I'm not being mean, I really honestly mean that.

Considering how gorgeous Gorgar and Creature look, it's almost as if two different people were in charge.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
The first 4 tables looked great on PS3, but they've seemed to have gone downhill since then. Hopefully they can make some improvements.

Visually, I think the first two dlc packs are stunning. Can't complain about cv, mm, bride and funhouse.... and gogar of course.
Just saying...

Last edited:

Jason Juneau

FarSight Employee
Aug 10, 2012
I am hoping to make a run through the ps3 lighting very soon. I apologize for the inconsistency in the lighting on the ps3. Keep pointing this stuff out guys, it keeps us motivated to always improve and fix our mistakes.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
I am hoping to make a run through the ps3 lighting very soon. I apologize for the inconsistency in the lighting on the ps3. Keep pointing this stuff out guys, it keeps us motivated to always improve and fix our mistakes.

Jason, Sir, I knew you would be the guy to respond , what Im hoping to see in the graphic update to these last 4 tables , EATPM, NGG, HD, and TAX , is light effects that almost blind when they blink on (as appropriate) , and when theres a lightsource close to the sides of a wall it should be reflecting light into that wall . Watch the videos of Kevlar's and Skill_Shot's tables , those lights are alive they briefly saturate the playfields in colors , the lighting bounces off the sides, is it not possible to do this on PS3 , or is this a limitation of file sizes and the engine?

Last edited:

thorphin

Jun 27, 2012
Thanks so much for the attention, Jason. I'm sure it's hard to ensure consistency when you keep getting new assets all the time. Seems pretty critical to periodically carve out some time to run through and do some consistency and QA checking to make sure things all match up and that certain gamer comments are addressed (Black Knight, I'm looking at you!). The visual presentation is so important, and this TLC is going to make a HUGE impact on user satisfaction.

I'm sure it's more complicated (and, so, probably prohibitive), but you'd make even more people if you provided a slider in the settings for each table to adjust gamma and saturation. A gamma slider is pretty standard in many games and is a pretty good way to ensure that people with all sorts of TVs get a picture that works for their unique viewing environments. Seems like this approach would land you somewhere between further manual, permanent changes made by Farsight staff and the suggestion of a day/night system that would require doubling your scanned and rendered assets.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Yay good to hear this might get a going-over! : )

(Personally though I'd say stop a step short of blinding ;) Actually one thing I really don't like about the new-er tables is the super-bright flashing tapered-cone lights they started adding to blind you when multiball started or something, yikes.)

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Wonder if the real machine at Farsight was shipped that way.
Quite a few of the tables are missing bulbs under slingshots and plastics, regardless of whether the plastics are lit or not. I can understand it on mobile platforms, to keep the poly count down, but not so much for consoles.

More likely the G.I. circuits on their NGG have blown their fuses. There's no light anywhere on the playfield! ;)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Even if FS received NGG without lights all they have to do is put some in...snag some from another table they have, it's obviously a mistake by the art department and if you look at the plastics on the slingshots theres a white haze on the graphic where the lights should shine.

Mmmbacon

Jul 6, 2012
I don't have much more to offer than has already been said, but I do want to voice my concern about the quality of the ps3 tables. I usually skipped over this thread because I felt the tables for the most part looked ok. But after look at some of the stark comparisons posted in this thread it's really noticeable . There is no reason for Harley to look the way it does. On the "the glass is half full" side of things, we KNOW these improvements are possible because of the sheer beauty of CFTBL and Gorgar (and in my very laymen like opinion, TOTAN also). It's actually quite strange that there is so much difference between the tables. I wonder if it's an issue of them being rushed? Are they bowing to the "wheres my table packs" crowd (of which, Ive admittedly been a vocal member occasionally) and just missing things due to a time crunch? I don't want to dogpile here, but I do want farsight to add another tick mark to the PS3 graphics issues.

All that being said, you guys at Farsight must have the thickest skin ever. I can't imagine how disheartening it would be to put so much effort and money into a project and see some of the things people say (especially the Facebook page). That's not to say most of the complaints aren't valid, but still it would pop my bubble very quickly. I hope farsight knows that the complaints aren't personal, they just come from a group of people with unrivaled compassion and vigor for a pasttime that has been in a state of continual decline. Every pinball project that comes out now elicits that fervor with us, the fans, hoping "this is the thing that will SAVE pinball!" I bet it's a ton of pressure, with some people thinking that failure might be the last nail in pinball's coffin. Kind of dramatic, but it makes sense with people's passion on the subject.

/keanu reeves headshake
WHOA

Dunno where all that came from, I guess I just wanted Farsight to know we're not insanely nit-picky OCD crazy insane people, just rabid pinball supporters wanting TPA to be the best it can. Being rabid pinball supporters themselves, Im sure they already know that...

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012

Are there plans to add more reflective lighting (ie. CV's lighting) and or GI to the tables? Flashers that look closer to those on CV etc... Or do you mean fixing the color of the play fields?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Sounds like just lighting, like CFTBL and EATPM are nice and bright but TOM or MM are dark in the center, this has nothing to do with lighting but who ever at farsight gets carried away with the black airbrush tool....GORGAR right side on the apron WTF!? and of coarse BK its as if they dont like green:) spray over it with black thats better LOL!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.