my tablet died...

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
yep, my beloved galaxy note 10.1 died on me today.

So, I need a new tablet but I have no idea what to take...

I read a few post here and I see that even with some recent devices there's a lot a lag or slowdown, maybe because of android lollipop?

So, any advices is welcome...

The price is not an issue, I'm not rich but as I use the tablet a lot I don't mind spending 500 euros on a device like this...

thanks...

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
There's a new shield tab due shortly or good deals on the old one if you wait a while.

Nothing to do with Pinball, but if I had the cash I'd probably buy a Note 12.2 Pro, but I'd use it for Infinite Painter or Sketchbook Pro.

My old N7 2012 died last weekend, but no spare dosh as usual, so parts ordered and if I get a spare hour to fit, she'll be up and running again. :)

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Well...
The nexus 9 looks good but no sd card support is a dealbreaker for me

The shield tablet looks really good but here in belgium it is tough to get one. Even amazon here do not have them.

And an iPad... Well I bought the tables on Android, steam and ps4 so nope, won't buy them à fourth time ^^

suffocater

Apr 4, 2015
Well...

The shield tablet looks really good but here in belgium it is tough to get one. Even amazon here do not have them.

And an iPad... Well I bought the tables on Android, steam and ps4 so nope, won't buy them à fourth time ^^

I will never understand what people need an SD-card in mobile devices, but ok. I don't know if any other tablets at the moment got the GPU of the shield and the N9.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
And I take my tablet on travel with me, and fill it with movies.
So when you have movies on 720p or 1080p it fills the tablet pretty fast!

Spork98765

Jul 3, 2015
And I take my tablet on travel with me, and fill it with movies.
So when you have movies on 720p or 1080p it fills the tablet pretty fast!

next time you're "Shopping" for movies look for the HEVC H265 versions and compare the file sizes, you could save yourself a fair bit of storage. AFAIK VLC for Android supports and decodes HEVC so it is not something that cannot be played back.

Even if you could get a Shield Tab in Belgium, they are in the middle of a massive RMA and I don't think you can even get one from them officially at present. I checked their website and they weren't even listing prices for the Tablet.

It looks like something in the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro family will suit you, with choice of size of screen from 8.4 through 10.1 to 12.
OFC there's always the Galaxy Tab S 8.4/10.5, yet another iteration of a similar, but different, product.

Based on pure specs, but I seem to recall some issues with a similar device being reported here, the Sony Xperia lines Z2, Z3 and Z4 seem like they would be adequate.

Something to consider, there have been complaints about devices that use S-Pens and overly sensitive touch screens with regards to games like TPA and Zen. I encountered this problem with my Shield Tablet, and found that I had to re-calibrate the screen fairly often if I did a lot of touch based gaming. I'm not trying to scare you off of any particular device or anything, just passing along my experiences with a certain style of device/interface.

kinggo

Feb 9, 2014
yep, my beloved galaxy note 10.1 died on me today.

So, I need a new tablet but I have no idea what to take...

I read a few post here and I see that even with some recent devices there's a lot a lag or slowdown, maybe because of android lollipop?

So, any advices is welcome...

The price is not an issue, I'm not rich but as I use the tablet a lot I don't mind spending 500 euros on a device like this...

thanks...
just don't buy Xperia, at least not Z2. Tablet is great in every possible way, but TPA performance is pretty bad.

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
It is done,
I bought à galaxy tab s 10.1.
There was à 50 euros cashback so I took à 32 go tab.

Juste tested TPA. runs fine and is looks great ^^

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Well...

You have to import one from the US. Use a freight forwarder to get it to your country.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
next time you're "Shopping" for movies look for the HEVC H265 versions and compare the file sizes, you could save yourself a fair bit of storage. AFAIK VLC for Android supports and decodes HEVC so it is not something that cannot be played back.

Even if you could get a Shield Tab in Belgium, they are in the middle of a massive RMA and I don't think you can even get one from them officially at present. I checked their website and they weren't even listing prices for the Tablet.

It looks like something in the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro family will suit you, with choice of size of screen from 8.4 through 10.1 to 12.
OFC there's always the Galaxy Tab S 8.4/10.5, yet another iteration of a similar, but different, product.

Based on pure specs, but I seem to recall some issues with a similar device being reported here, the Sony Xperia lines Z2, Z3 and Z4 seem like they would be adequate.

Something to consider, there have been complaints about devices that use S-Pens and overly sensitive touch screens with regards to games like TPA and Zen. I encountered this problem with my Shield Tablet, and found that I had to re-calibrate the screen fairly often if I did a lot of touch based gaming. I'm not trying to scare you off of any particular device or anything, just passing along my experiences with a certain style of device/interface.

Yeah, I've got one of the Shield Tablets that qualifies for the RMA. Hopefully they sort me out in Australia. They've been really supportive so far.

I think you'd be fine with a Samsung Pro line tablet, but I wouldn't choose anything below that benchmark. I just don't trust the GPUs in Samsung devices. But that is just my personal opinion, based on reports of device performance folks have reported here.

Sony tablets are both beautifully designed, and have solid hardware. I also believe Sony don't really frack around with the AOSP ROM that much which makes the path to upgrades cleaner.

An advantage of Sony tablets is that Playstation controllers work natively with the tablets, due to a proprietary BT stack being implemented in the ROM. It's a great feature.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
You have to import one from the US. Use a freight forwarder to get it to your country.

Are they usually $499 US?

I've had issues with the touchscreen on my 2nd gen N7(known issues as it turns out..:mad: ), and I was thinking about a Shield but I thought they were cheaper.

RSchwantner

FarSight Employee
Aug 4, 2014

I've had issues with the touchscreen on my 2nd gen N7(known issues as it turns out..:mad: ), and I was thinking about a Shield but I thought they were cheaper.

VERY well known (to me) issues.
Although if you update your system, it usually goes away for awhile. And some people have had good luck with a Factory reset/re-update combo completely fixing it.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

They're is a way to fix that. Flash touchscreen drivers that suit the capacitive voltage of your specific digitizer.
Although if you update your system, it usually goes away for awhile. And some people have had good luck with a Factory reset/re-update combo completely fixing it.
ts10 drivers fixed the issues for me all those moons ago.

(Hint: "ts10 Nexus 7 Touchscreen XDA" is a good place to start when looking for the fix) 👍

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012

Sounds like you were looking at the LTE version. They are pretty expensive. The 16gb Wi-Fi should set you back about US$299.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013

Update and reset made it a little better, but didn't totally fix it.... I was getting used to just seeing it(and mostly didn't notice it), but it's still under warranty so I sent it in. Also, I started seeing some light areas along one edge on black screens. ASUS customer service isn't exactly awesome, BTW.

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Sounds like you were looking at the LTE version. They are pretty expensive. The 16gb Wi-Fi should set you back about US$299.

Nope. WiFi.

The N7 was a gift so I can't complain. Other than that it was working great and I love the size of it. It sounds like the Shield has had its own set of issues too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts