New Bobby King Podcast from Allgames.com

sharkbear

Jul 26, 2012
I was surprised to learn Farsight has never seen a dime from the sales on the 360. Maybe that was common knowledge but it never dawned on me that Farsight wasn't getting paid prior to the bankruptcy. Ouch.

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Yea. Good info but thought the host was a bit pushy. Also, more than once he would interrupt Bobby to hear himself talk some more. Need a new Jeff interview. :)

I understand what you're saying but I think the reason Bobby gave up so many exclusives in this interview was because of the host's pushy interview style. I also think it helped that he showed Bobby that he was very "excited" about potential releases. We wouldn't be here discussing all of this new news if it weren't for the host (sorry I don't recall his name).

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I was surprised to learn Farsight has never seen a dime from the sales on the 360. Maybe that was common knowledge but it never dawned on me that Farsight wasn't getting paid prior to the bankruptcy. Ouch.

I missed that part of the interview. Thanks for posting.

N

netizen

I missed that part of the interview. Thanks for posting.

Yeah I missed that part too.

Random Aside:
I hope there's a transcript posted sometime. But ... I'm not a big fan of podcasts or video interviews as they don't add much to the format. I can read faster than the format, and then there is the amount of data in txt vs mp4/flv

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
As far as the Pinball construction kit is concerned, I don't think it's going to make it's way to the general public. Not only would there be the dodgy legal problems of people creating unliscenced tables, but if they were released in the community for free then they'd be competing directly with Farsight's own tables which you pay money for.

When they said construction kit, I assumed it meant something they could give to independant pinball game developers (Think Revenge of the Rob-O-Bot) or Steve Richie. The kit would probably require them to sumbit a basic table for Farsight to fine tune and then release.

What would be nice is if these tables are considered extras, and not technically part of the regular release schedule. It'd be great to have one month with potentially three or four new tables.

Now that I can go with. :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Random Aside:
I hope there's a transcript posted sometime. But ... I'm not a big fan of podcasts or video interviews as they don't add much to the format. I can read faster than the format, and then there is the amount of data in txt vs mp4/flv

I'm completely with you there. I don't really even need a transcript (except for clarification), just bullet points.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Yeah I missed that part too.

Random Aside:

I listen to them in the car because my job involves a lot of driving. If I'm not listening to something I may just fall asleep and crash into things. :p

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I have also played both,and I enjoyed playing AC/DC more than Metallica - though honestly,both were okay. My guess as to why Metallica would be easier than AC/DC to do is mainly based on the licensing.

Some times i wish all those great tables weren't licensed. Obviously, it's against their principles, but I seriously wouldn't mind it if FarSight released a stripped recreation of AC/DC without the band or the music. In fact, this is probably the best example of a table where I'd highly prefer it that way :p

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Some times i wish all those great tables weren't licensed. Obviously, it's against their principles, but I seriously wouldn't mind it if FarSight released a stripped recreation of AC/DC without the band or the music. In fact, this is probably the best example of a table where I'd highly prefer it that way :p
At least with AC/DC, the music is an integral part of the gameplay...the songs more or less are the modes, and the playfield was designed around them: the bell for Hell's Bells, the cannon for For Those About to Rock, the detonator for TNT, etc. You'd have to completely re-theme the table (and redo all the art, dots, and sounds), at which point you may as well just do a new table from scratch.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012

Good gosh no! As Sean put it, its part of the table, it'll be like removing all the Doctors from Doctor Who. :p

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012

That's got to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
That's got to be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

It could be muzack versions. Have you ever seen the music videos of live concert footage of bands like Metallica or Slipknot and replace the music with smooth jazz or Disney pop versions of brutally hard metal songs? Kind of hilarious but it starts to really grate on you after about 20 seconds.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
It could be muzack versions. Have you ever seen the music videos of live concert footage of bands like Metallica or Slipknot and replace the music with smooth jazz or Disney pop versions of brutally hard metal songs? Kind of hilarious but it starts to really grate on you after about 20 seconds.

I'm not so sure about that. Andy's smooth jazz version of Enter Sandman is pretty epic.

McGuirk

Feb 25, 2012

Sorry to pile on, but absolutely not. It's like when a documentary or TV show has something about a metal band, but couldn't get the rights to their music, so you'll see a clip of the band with the worst royalty-free song that sounds heavy. Or in TV shows where brand names are censored out or covered in tape.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
It's a pinball machine, not a music video. I do like it when the theme fits with the game, and I would love to play AC/DC because I hear how awesome it is. The fact that I can't stand AC/DC's music is an entirely different subject matter. :)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
It's a pinball machine, not a music video. I do like it when the theme fits with the game, and I would love to play AC/DC because I hear how awesome it is. The fact that I can't stand AC/DC's music is an entirely different subject matter. :)

Well, you're in luck, because we're getting T2 which has a VERY similar playfield without the AC/DC music. Honestly, the three best Stern's in the last couple years (AC/DC, Metallica and Tron) are so good because of the presentation. While they have decent playfield design, it's the presentation of each of these tables and the integration of the music (not to mention sound quality) that makes them so appealing.

So, if you can't stand AC/DC, Metallica or Daft Punk, none of these pins are going to be particularly enjoyable to you.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
My greatest hope for "Original" pins in TPA is that they have top-notch designers from Stern (Steve Ritchie, George Gomez, et al) working with non-licensed, under/unutilized themes. Has there ever been a true zombie table? Probably not and it is all the rage right now! How about ninjas? Sure the 80's made ninjas completely overdone but I can't recall a table that has them! Or Samurai! Maybe farming? Sounds weird but games like Viva Pinata and Earthbound proved that it is a theme that doesn't have to suck in video games...why not pinball? Or maybe a volcano themed table that erupts multiballs? So many possibilities.

karl

May 10, 2012
Well, I believe there is one or two independent companies that are working on a zombie themed pinball machine. The main reason why Stern has not done it is probably that pinball companies have alway been concerned about the Family friendly part of things like zombies.

PS! I agree that the only way to do original tables is to hire a real pinball designer and I have a feeling that Bobby King agrees 100% on that :)

Btw: Congo has a volcano multiball if I am not mistaken

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts