New High Resolution PS4 screenshots (place here!)

Queue

Aug 28, 2013
Not sure if anyone has seen these, but here are two more screenshots of Cirqus Voltaire at the darkest light settings.

03_pinball_arcade_screenshot_01.jpg

03_pinball_arcade_screenshot_02.jpg

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
*That* setting might be so dark it's actually hard to play--like you can barely see the ball as it slips into shadow in the middle playfield area there.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
*That* setting might be so dark it's actually hard to play--like you can barely see the ball as it slips into shadow in the middle playfield area there.

Nah, that's exactly what they should be going for with a 'dark' setting. Some people enjoy turning off the lights and only letting the machine light the way. I find it hard as hell to play that way, but there is a certain beauty to it, and it's also a whole new challenge. In a lot of ways, since there'll be 3 settings, I view it much like the table angles. I tend to find angle 3 and 4 too extreme for my taste, but I know others that play those angles all the time. Knowing that there's a noticeable difference between the 'normal' look and the 'light' look, I think the 'dark' look should be just as noticeable.

But then, that's just me :)

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I know the darkest setting that I played on the PS4 was very easy to see the ball and all targets. I thought that there should be another setting even darker. I'm quite sure that all settings will be very playable and that almost all players will find one of the settings what they want. I was told that they were going to make the darker setting darker. Could be this picture is the darker setting.

LMA

Jun 14, 2013
Steam PC forum is alive with texture complaints. I can live with most of them but Medieval Madness looks like a Nintendo 64 game because of the very low textures, can't read anything on the playfield.
I was hoping the PS4 version would pass its new graphics over to the PC but now it looks like the PS4 only gets new lighting and keeps the old textures. I would like Farsight to stop making tables until they have new textures for all the current tables.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Steam PC forum is alive with texture complaints. I can live with most of them but Medieval Madness looks like a Nintendo 64 game because of the very low textures, can't read anything on the playfield.
I was hoping the PS4 version would pass its new graphics over to the PC but now it looks like the PS4 only gets new lighting and keeps the old textures. I would like Farsight to stop making tables until they have new textures for all the current tables.

Bobby confirmed that all the tables were scanned at a much higher resolution than was needed and that for the PS4 they are using higher resolution textures than they did for the PS3. Perhaps those weren't used for the first iteration of the PC. Or perhaps PC users want even higher resolution textures.

Queue

Aug 28, 2013

I quite like it, actually. The lighting in these pictures looks significantly more balanced than the screenshot that was distributed with the newsletter. It's a noticeable improvement from what was originally shown, in my opinion. I especially like the illumination of the ring master. This makes me even more excited for the PS4 port of TPA. I just hope that this super dark light setting is included on release.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
The low res playfield in the original shots = placeholder.

There's your explanation.

Higher res textures on ps4 will make a HUGE difference. Excited :)

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012

Makes sense, but why release screenshots with such an obvious flaw? I know they are excited to show what they can do, but stuff like this will obviously just backfire. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new texture resolutions - the illegibility of the current tables is probably one of TPA's weakest points. Often I have no real impression of the playfield and what each shot is, if I haven't played the real world counterpart.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

There's your explanation.

Higher res textures on ps4 will make a HUGE difference. Excited :)

I hope this is true because once you see through all of the great lighting and ball physics upgrade you notice the low resolution playfield. In the pics shown so far they look exactly like the PS3 textures.

If this is the case I can't wait.
MB_PS4_vs_Arcade.png

haj

Sep 28, 2012
Perhaps rendering engine. The photo must have taken from the top but you don't play top down view.

Primero

Sep 12, 2013
Pictures and video previews never look as good as the actual game, even when the video is running at 1080p.

Probably should wait until you see the actual game before rushing to judgement.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think shadows need to be fixed as well, the flippers still look like they're floating. Would AO fix that?

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Nah, that's exactly what they should be going for with a 'dark' setting.

Shut, sorry but I think that's just plain wrong regarding the visibilty of the ball. With all those lights on, all around a chrome/silver ball, the specular highlights on it should be a LOT brighter than they are in those screens. It just aint right.

I've noticed on a few videos now, that the whole ball 'glows' now and again too. For instance at certain points during play on the lower playfield of Black Hole, the ball will 'glow' bright blue. Some very odd stuff going on with the reflections.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.